1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing/Repairing Speed Sensor

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jmc15john, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Jmc15john

Jmc15john Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Guys...

My wife hit something driving my car a couple months ago, and I had to pull off the left wheel wall protector (not sure if that's what it's called, but it's the hard plastic surrounding above and in front of the wheel). Anyways, I didn't think it would be an issue, so I didn't replace it... but the other day my ABS lights came on. I did some reading on the forms and acquired the error codes (32 & 36) from shorting pins 4 & 13, which indicated my front left speed sensor reading bad. As you can see in the picture I unconnected one part of the sensor, but I'm not sure how to get the other part, pictured, unclipped from it's housing. The cable also had corroded and when I wiggled it, it snapped in half. If I can get the entire cable unconnected, I should be able to solder the wire back together, and get a new wheel well housing. Any tips on unconnecting the little black clip pictured? I tried twisting and pressing on it a few different ways without any luck, and I can't reach it from under the hood.

-Thanks.

2. Jmc15john

Jmc15john Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update. I finally got that piece disconnected, prying with a screwdriver when it wasnt' so cold outside. I soldered it together with a piece of speaker wire, and it held for a few days and then disconnected again. I ordered a pair of speed sensors for the front left and front right for my prius on Amazon for like $35 bucks. I also ordered a techstream cable. Got the new speed sensor installed and tested with the techstream to verify it was reading correctly and was able to clear the codes. Only problem now is the techstream sensor had some sort of a clip in it and I can't pull it out of the OBD2 port...

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They seem to go out of their way to make connectors maddening? Maybe there’s even a department for this, right down the hall from Quality Assurance. :rolleyes:

ASRDogman likes this.