1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing rubber in wiper blades?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Frank O, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Frank O

Frank O Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The rubber in the front wiper blades on my 2011 Prius are peeling apart. I know some people here like Bosch or Rain-X blades, but since I was happy with the original blades I stopped by the local dealer to see what they sell. They said that normally they just sell the rubber inserts, so I picked up a pair to try out.

Is there any particular trick to getting these swapped out? Or do you work it in however is easy and then squeeze the rubber to get it to seat under the little hold-down catches?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    One trick is there are metal strips running in a groove in the inserts. These metal strips keep the rubber insert against the curvature of the windshield. You need to remove these metal strips and insert in the grooves on the new ones with the curve in the same direction.

Other than that just squeeze the rubber to remove the old one and re-insert the new ones the same way.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's easier to work with whole blade off the car. A slim flat-blade screwdriver with a little masking tape is needed, to lift a tab, allowing the blade to shift and release. There's always a learning curve for me, the couple of times I've done it. Is shown in the booklet I think.

One thing, be super careful with the arm once the blade is off: you don't want it thwacking down on the windshield.

4. Frank O

Frank O Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay, thanks. I actually noticed the metal and was wondering about it. So I guess the workflow is:

Remove old rubber insert

Transfer metal strips from old to new rubber

Install new rubber insert

5. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did my OEM blades about 3 months ago. Search for "toyota wiper insert" on youtube and there should be a video. The rear wiper blade is tricky.

Before you that, see if your dealer would put them on for free. Take the wiper blade off your car and bring it to the service counter. My local dealer does it for free so a long as you bring the blade.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, with rear wiper: if you're standing on drivers rear corner of vehicle, with wiper arm raised (plastic base pulled off at the elbow, to facilitate this), what you do:

Slowly rotate the blade clockwise, relative to the arm, like your aim is to make it into a letter T shape. At some point there's resistance. Just keep going, easy, and it'll click through that resistance. Then you can shift it and lift off.

Again: lower the bare arm gently onto the glass, or a towel.

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your workflow is correct.

8. Priusguy78213

Priusguy78213 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah lots of times when you buy the replacement wiper blades from O'reilly auto parts, Auto Zone and other places, if you just ask they'll install the new ones.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That might backfire.

10. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Pretty simple. Takes about 10min. To change out the rubber inserts. Lots of youtube videos to watch. Just be careful and don't knock the arm down while the blades are off. Put a blanket on top of the glass for extra protection.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are they still selling bare inserts in your area? I've been having difficulty finding inserts without going to the dealers, most places seem to want to sell only whole blades. It seems to be a forced upsell.
    Maybe, the first time. Including the time needed to find and watch the video ...

12. Frank O

Frank O Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I ended up watching a YouTube video, and once I was oriented I changed out the rubber in both front blades in under 5 minutes. Thanks again for the help on this.

fuzzy1, jdcollins5 and Xterra72 like this.
  13. Alexmark

Alexmark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good day, Priuschatters.
    I am new here and a new Prius 2011 owner. I have a question that I couldn't find an answer so far. I have original blades, and I have already ordered original Toyota inserts 26" and 19".
    The price was 18$ for both. They have this special groove on one end where hooks from metal inserts go, to keep everything intact. There are also other Chinese inserts that you can buy as 26" pair for 2$, but there are no grooves there. (As far as I can see)
    The name on Chinese refills says FRAMELESS. Do I have to buy frameless blades first, then use them till the point when I have to replace inserts and then buy those 2$ refills? Did someone tried it before?
    All these blades wars are pretty confusing and hard to find the solution without trying. And I thought that this is the best place in the world to ask my question. Thanks in advance for any advises and comments

14. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have rarely found a cheap Chinese item that is any good.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This might be helpful, info from the Repair Manual regarding wiper blade replacement (the rubber bits only). Have no idea why this isn't in the Owner's Manual btw.

16. lar.smith42

lar.smith42 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why bother with the inserts ?? Just buy the blade assy and be done with it in about 2 min. Bosch and rain x blades work great and arn't expensive.

kenoarto likes this.
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Blade assemblies are always more expensive than the equivalent inserts. Inserts are easy enough to install.

The refusal of most retailers to stock inserts anymore is a form of forced upsell.

Do you want fries with that? Don't bother to answer, we are serving them to you (and charging for them) regardless.
    Do you want a savings account, debit card, credit card, IRA, and home equity line of credit along with you new checking account? Don't bother to answer, we are giving them to you regardless of you answer. Our sales quota system demands it, and our CEO's $200M bonus requires it.

CR94 likes this.
  18. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I looked for videos when I replaced my wipers with Toyota refills.

(front, prius is the same as most Toyotas)

(rear)

My dealership will replace the rubber for free if it is not busy. Just remove the wiper blade and hand it to the parts counter when it is not busy.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Public Service Announcement: whenever you've got the blade assembly off the arm, lower the arm to the glass very gently, maybe with a towel padding.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I guess I should've made a video on this lol...

Raytheeagle likes this.