1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing rubber in wiper blades?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Frank O, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Maybe add that to your list along with checking the oil on the dipstick:rolleyes:.

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota dealers in Chicagoland do this for free, too. But my question is how old are your wiper blades that they actually are falling apart? Consumer Reports testing shows most blades last 6 months. None last a full year. Are these the original blades on your 2011?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Removing a Civic wiper blade, I needed a YouTube, to figure out the release method. There was instruction in the Owners Manual, but it had fundamental typos, lol.

@kenoarto It's weird, ours is build date Aug 09, still on original wipers, and they look pretty much new. It is garage stored, and low mileage; I think it's UV light that's a big factor.

4. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looking new and working new (vs 7 year old smearers) are two very different things. I bet your 7 year old 12v battery looks new, too! Would you buy 7 year old tires? How about basing all your a maintenance on how they look? Just wonderin' where you draw the line on safety issues.

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm very conservative with auto maintenance. The wipers perform fine too. Another factor (besides garage storage and low mileage) might be that I periodically clean the windshield with automotive glass cleaner.

Raytheeagle and fuzzy1 like this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wiper performance is very easy to gauge merely by watching them do their job.

Living in the same climate zone as he does (much more moderate than Chicago), where I normally get 7-9 years on 12V batteries parked outdoors, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he still has a very serviceable OEM battery in his indoor car.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm on second 12 volt battery (Optima), but yeah it was a pre-emptive swap, I retained the old one, stored under the work bench, monitor (with Solar BA5) and periodically charge it. Without the phantom charge overhead of being in a vehicle it holds charge surprisingly well.

8. Alexmark

Alexmark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's a matter of taste. I was doing the same thing before, but mentioned that new blades (Michelin from Costco) do not last longer then one month or two. After that the smears are bothering. It is still not certain what blades are better, - original or frameless. I think that more points pushing rubber toward the windshield, is better (just my opinion). And that is why I decided to keep original blades and replace the inserts only. And it is not a time consuming at all. It takes just maybe 10-20 seconds longer per blade to change the insert then blades only.

9. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. Also, on many cars, the blades they force you to buy are unsuitable, so you have to remove the insert from the new blade you didn't want and install it in the old blade. Compared to the inserts they used to sell, that's extra labor, besides costing at least 5 times as much.

10. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Do you clean your wipers as well? I clean mine with Windex (or equivalent) every time I wash the car or clean the windshield. Buildup of road crud on the wiper edge is the primary cause of streaking; it also leads to scratching the glass. Clean the crud off routinely and your wipers will perform better for longer time.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring