1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing shocks, do I need to replace the mounts too?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by sheepe, Dec 15, 2014.

1. sheepe

sheepe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm getting ready to sell my 2001 Prius to my friend and I want it in pretty good condition because she knows nothing about cars and isn't inclined/able to learn.

So I'm going to replace the shocks and I'm not sure how to tell if I need to replace the mounts too. Without the mounts, I'm spending $329.96, but replacing all the mounts bumps it up to $451.92. So I guess I'm just wondering, what should I be looking for to know if I need to change them out?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If your car has logged more than 100K miles then you should replace the front strut mounts. They need to pivot and therefore are subject to wear. There is less need to replace the rear shock mounts.

3. sheepe

sheepe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm at 223K miles. I'll grab a set of mounts, just in case. Honestly, don't expect the battery to hold out for more than 3 years. so I'm going to be cheap on them.

4. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have 233k on the original hybrid battery don't expect it to last even another year. Gen1 batteries are dropping like flies mostly due to mileage, but also due to age. If the buyer is a good friend, tell them to budget for a new battery in the not to distant future.

5. sheepe

sheepe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I bought it, it had a re-manufactured battery. That was at 160k. So I think that's got about 3 years left on it, which is all she needs.

6. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Remanufactured batteries are all different. Some are good, some are awful.
    Hopefully the battery was purchased from a vendor with a good warranty and still in business.

I've seen reman batteries fail within weeks so anyone buying a reman should be extra careful, do their homework, buy locally so if there is a problem you don't have shipping hassles, and pay with credit card in case they need to dispute the charge.

7. sheepe

sheepe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: Yeah, definitely needed to replace the mounts. It was all in bad shape. I actually am missing about a half turn on one of the springs. And anything that is rubber is absolutely shot. So looks like I'm going to have to pull 'em off in a few weeks after I buy even more gear.