1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing stock radio

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by bostonbruins8703, Apr 5, 2019.

1. bostonbruins8703

bostonbruins8703 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    So I've got a 2013 Prius V Two. It has a stock radio and I'm looking to replace the head unit with a radio that has GPS that runs off my phones data, bluetooth, cd player,am/fm radio. I don't really care about satellite radio. My issue is I don't know where to look, my budget is tight so I don't want anything to fancy. And I don't know what unit thats out there where I can still see all the important info that the stock radio has for the Prius...I saw some stock head units online that are from the three/five models, but I have no idea if its possible to hook those up and have all the features work.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I doubt you can find an aftermarket unit that supports the car's network and Prius data and configurations. The v3 and v5 units have integrated gps and are not phone based. There is a limited ability to get some predefined data from an Enture app. They have an extra module hanging off the bottom of the head unit for the navigation.They require a gps antenna that fits under the dash which "might" be there based on an "add-on" navigation kit they sold (see attached). I would check out that kit at a dealer and see if it could be connected to your existing head unit and determine if the gps antenna was factory installed in a v2. Don't expect the dealer to automatically know about the kit or how it installs.

Attached Files:

bostonbruins8703 likes this.
  3. bostonbruins8703

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Thank you very much! I’ll have them check it out.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Its hard to say if that part includes the extension box. Note on the pic below how some of the "57011" radios (part 86140-47020) have the extension box on them and some don't. The left pic is from a current ebay ad for part 86140-47020 while the right side in also a 86140-47020 but it includes the extension box. Your link does not show the back of the head unit.

Be aware that it might be necessary to have the head unit added to the network if it is from another vin car. The instructions above assume you are adding an extension box kit to an existing radio already in the car. Also, while the instructions imply a GPS cable is in the car, it could be that certain trim levels are ready for gps and others are not. I would consider going to the Toyota dealer and ask if yours is upgradable, and ask the parts department if yours has a gps antenna. They look up your car by vin and can tell what it has or needs in most cases. This link is a current ebay ad for part 86140-47020 which shows the extension box. Radio Prius V VIN Eu 7th And 8th Digit Fits 12-14 PRIUS 86140-47020 | eBay

Finally, if I were buying a used head unit for my car (which does have nav/gps) I would probably try to get the newest one available with the same part number. That way I would most likely get a more recent map database, which by itself can cost hundreds to upgrade.

57011 w nav.jpg

#5 rjparker, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  5. bostonbruins8703

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Thank you very much for your help! I really appreciate it!