1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing Stock Rearview Mirror with Gentex Auto-Dimming

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Colorado Boo, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My old Tundra has the auto-dimming mirror and I want to replace my stock rearview mirrors with the Gentex auto-dimming mirrors. We have a lot of trucks here and those headlights burn into my brain at night.
    Has anyone done this? Are our Prius' already pre-wired up in there for swapping out the mirror or does it involve splicing into stuff?
    I found the Gentex mirrors on Amazon for $67...a great price...and want to swap out the basic mirrors in both of our Prius'.

2. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm pretty sure they're not pre-wired. I recently installed a hardwire kit for my dash cam. There's a plastic panel which simply pulls off up near the sunglasses holder thing, and I didn't see any wiring there. You'll likely also need to either run your own wiring, or maybe splice into the power for the overhead lights.

3. Colorado Boo

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Thanks...I'm going to get up in there and pull off the panels I saw next to the mirror and check things out.

4. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I left out that I saw a video on someone installing a hardwire kit which splices into the wiring for a powered mirror. When they pulled off that plastic piece, there was wiring there.

5. Colorado Boo

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Sweet! That's what I'm hoping for...when I installed the illuminated door sill protectors in my wife's 2017 Prius, I had to splice into pre-existing wires under the dash. It was pre-wired for something on both sides. If so, I think I'll take pics and make a post in here of how to upgrade our rearview mirrors....those auto-dimming ones are great.

6. Colorado Boo

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Yep, found a few wires, with room for tapping, behind the existing rearview mirror cover! So we have a go on the upgrade project.

7. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Keep us posted, and take pictures!