1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing suspension

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Davidude, Apr 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey all, going to finally replace my suspension as it's long overdue. My 05 has 187k miles on it and I've towed a trailer a good bit so the suspension is pretty worn. I'm going to buy Monroe Roadmatic for $70 apiece on RockAuto. I'm hope it's stiffer than OEM so I can continue to tow the trailer with the car packed full of stuff.

Anything I should look out for when replacing them? I'm buying a strut/coil spring/mount assembly, so I think it should be plug and play. Also hoping a buddy of mine who's more experienced with suspensions can give me a hand so it shouldn't be too difficult. Should I replace anything else at the same time?

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you've been towing something substantial enough to wear out those suspension bits then I'd take a hard look at the brakes while you've got the car up on jack-stands.
    Maybe wheel bearing and hub assemblies too.

Good Luck!

3. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Good point, my front brakes still have more than enough but the drum brakes might be low. Can't believe the disk brakes are on 40k+ miles and still have too much to bother changing them.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 06 Envoy still has the original front brake bits at over 180,000 miles, although I've advised my CFO that I'm hearing the chirpers and it's probably time to get the front pads replaced before they score the discs.
    Interestingly enough the rear pads were replaced sometime around 150,000 miles.
    I would have expected the fronts to go out first, but that's cars for you.

Brakes on the cheapest cars out there are pretty much dead-bang certain to last over 100,000 miles if you don't drive like a teenager or in city stop and go traffic.

'Pends on how and where you drive, I guess.

I DO tow occasionally but rarely over 1500#

YMMV

5. richard203

richard203 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    i just did it this week, i brought the monroe quick something its a whole aseembly too with oem spec. i would spray the nut and bolt with penetration oil before starting you would need a 6mm hex to hold the sway bar endlink to loosen the nut. i tried not taking the wiper off but theres no room to get the nut on or nut off so end the end i took the wiper off.