1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

replacing the cluster

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by henry ortiz, Nov 7, 2018.

1. henry ortiz

henry ortiz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    hello, 2 weeks ago my toyota prius 2010 third generation was vandalize, the radio the cluster and other pieces are gone, unfortunately I don't have cover with my insurance. (long story)
    so i found a used cluster on eBay same model. with 188 K miles.
    mine had 182 K miles the difference is aprox 6K more miles, not too bad.
    my question is ; can i just plug and works? or I need to send to correct and programming this (used) cluster?

I hear if you replace the cluster for other one to have more miles than yours, no need programing... i don't know if its true.
    I really appreciate your help.
    thank you

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds right. check with your rev. here, you just have to say the odometer is incorrect when you sell.

3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Wrong!

Techstream is needed to match the new display to the current ECU.

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Which function in the Toyota Techstream software is used for this?

The Repair Manual (more info) doesn’t say: there’s no mention of initialization or registration when installing a combination meter assembly, and indeed the Speedometer Malfunction troubleshooting procedure says to “Replace the combination meter assembly (No. 4 meter circuit plate) with a new or a known good one,” which seems to imply that it’s acceptable to use one that was installed before in another car.

bisco likes this.
  5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I had a conversation with my dealer's Service Manager, with whom I've had a long term friendship.

No dealer is allowed to service their own multi-function display. Toyota does not sell them over-the counter.

The dealer has no temporary interim display to install in any vehicle requiring display repair. The vehicle must remain in the custody of the dealer until the display is repaired after it is sent to a facility in Texas.

I was told that the facility will program a new or repaired display with the original odo mileage and settings to match the vehicle.

This being, I have also been told that after-market repair facilities can also pair a different display having the same part number board. I cannot, however, confirm or deny this.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It seem like there's a gaping loophole, for "rolling back" the odometer, with the new-and-improved displays?

8. henry ortiz

henry ortiz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ok guy's thank you for your responses, yes i asked to the dealer here in my town and they quote me the cluster and programming for $3,800 plus Labor time.:eek:
    and they need to approve before proceeds.
    that's insane, so decided bought a used cluster and sending a company to programing and match with the correct milage.
    thanks for your comments
    best regards:D

RMB and Mendel Leisk like this.