1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing the license plate bulb

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Whiteyprius, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am aware that you get to the license plate bulb from the inside through the hatch - Instructions I've read say "Remove plastic panel inside hatch." OK, but how? I don't want to simply randomly pry around, not knowing just where the tabs are. Can anyone help? Pix would be great! We're talking a 2008. Thx!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Without using any tools, grab one corner of the hatch panel and exert force to pull it away. Once you get a corner loose then you'll find it is easy to remove that trim panel.

Merkey likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are 11 tabs that go around the panel. Like in a rectangular evenly laid out format.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, it really is the entire back panel that has to be removed (they fixed this issue with the Gen 3 by providing little cutouts).

A flatblade screwdriver can help you if you're not comfortable with exerting a lot of force on the plastic panel. Just be aware that the panel is pliable so be careful with the screwdriver. I usually start with the corners where the panel comes up the sides to meet the lower rear window, just prying it out a little, then go towards the centre where the latch hook is and pry that out a bit (A bit of an analogy is like prying up those old school metal lids on a tin can where you just use a flatblade to lift up the metal lid and you keep going around until the lid pops off). Hopefully it'll make it easier to pull off once you have a gap around.