1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Report: Us has found over 500+ chemical munitions in IRAQ

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by windstrings, Jun 21, 2006.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well OF COURSE we found large amounts of weapons in Iraq.

It's an election year.

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Jun 22 2006, 05:57 AM) [snapback]275179[/snapback]</div>

Wow!... humm... to my knowledge he did not import them into his country "old". They were either new or he built them there I'm assuming.
    Yes, they are old now "and still dangerous", but when he first aquired them, it was with full intention to have a viable weapon.

Why would you assume he wants defunked weapons cluttering up his land and that he went out of his way to gather them if they were not viable in some way and dangersous?

It seems you are looking for any chance to redeem good ol Saddam.... are you one of his brothers too?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jun 22 2006, 06:17 AM) [snapback]275187[/snapback]</div>

Nothing wrong with choosing "when" to use the weapon of the truth is there?

Fact is Tony, we all have political stands, but the truth of the war either supports or discredits those beliefs... but are seperate.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, we are all flying blind over here in the states and don't really have a clue to what is really going on over there other than our gut feelings.
    The news only gives us what they are cleared to release and even then in bits and pieces.

Without the news, we wouldn't even know there is a war!!!!!

We are totally dependent upon thier slant.... one news cast slants pro republican and the other pro democrat.

We all have to look at a man and discern between the lines of what the news can portray to determine what is the makeup and the fiber of a man "as president" verses simply listening to his enemies.

The very same thing happens in churches all over the planet... folks just listen to thier peers and to the preacher to form thier view and interpretation rather than studying it themselves or going by thier own gut feeling.

The news has "never" been true to life in all of history.
    Even when you tell your friends a story it gets slanted without meaning to.

Tell about a fish you caught and it almost doubles in size!

Even so with the media... they only make MONEY if they can evoke emotions and feed your fears, telling news that strikes not emotion doesn't pay the bills.
    So truth gets perverted.

If you follow your heart "you seem like a reasonable person" does it really tell you that Saddam is anywhere near innocent of anything?
    If you didn't have enough information to determine that then.... just watch him now as he is on trial.

This guy respects absolutely no form of authority other than himself.... he defy's all we know in the sense of balance and judgement.

He follows his own law.. and thats survival of the fittest... He operates on the level of an animal and much worse.

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jun 22 2006, 11:34 AM) [snapback]275252[/snapback]</div>
    Well, yea, when before Gulf War I, I expect he planned on killing his enemies with them. Then he got his butt kicked, and was told to dump them. Some apparently didn't get dumped...
    Hey, auto salvage yards around here have lots of cars, some of which might run. Some yards are abandoned, but the cars remain.

It's not hard to have stuff get left behind that you don't really want anymore...
    Nah, I'm just pointing out how none of the actively-being-developed WOMD that Bush told us was there was there. Just old crap that some people think is worth mentioning to try to salvage Bush's unsalvageable creditability.

You know, where people told him new stuff wasn't there, but he told us it was anyway?

for i=1 to infinity
    {
    lie_to_invade():
    }

That kind of thing...

4. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 21 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]275129[/snapback]</div>
    OMG!.... you're right.... he was only doing pest control.... similiar to Hitler I suppose?

anybody who is not in his family is pest.... no wait... he killed them too! :lol:

5. wstander

wstander New Member

Funny, here I was under the impression that the UNSCOM people did not find ANY WMD that was not accounted for.

Also, I seem to remember much rhetoric in the US Congress, from all 'sides' about WMD (Saddam had 'em, he still has 'em)

Then, there are those pesky UN resolutions, 17 of them defied , as I recall....

And, for all of you who think that 'old' munitions and chemicals are safe and benign, please go to your shed, find that old can of Raid or Malathion, read the label and if you still think the Iraqi stuff is safe, inhale deeply...

Pesticides are pesticides, even when given names like Sarin and Zyklon

6. jtullos

jtullos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jun 21 2006, 08:43 PM) [snapback]275064[/snapback]</div>
    Hi. I'm an exception. I'm a Democrat. Have been my entire life, and probably will continue to be one for the rest of my life, though that's (hopefully) a long time from now, and anything could happen. I personally help others more than I help myself. I will gladly admit that I can be very selfish at times, but no more so than any random person you pick. Oh, and while I don't support the war, I do realize that at some point or another it (or another similar war) would have happened. Better that it happen on our terms rather than someone else's.

And while it may have been believed that bin Laden was in Iraq at one point or another (and probably was), as I recall, we did not invade Iraq to find him. We went there to hunt terrorists, and it quickly turned into liberating Iraq. Which I'm sure they are happy to be out from under Saddam. However (and I may be wrong on this), I don't think it will last. They didn't earn their freedom themselves, therefore they will have less appreciation of it, therefore they will be more likely to lose it. I could be wrong, but that's my opinion. We'll see how things go.

On the other hand, I would have much preferred that the money being spent on liberating and rebuilding Iraq have stayed in the U.S. and supported our people. We can't take care of others if we can't take care of ourselves.

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jtullos @ Jun 22 2006, 09:02 AM) [snapback]275270[/snapback]</div>

I've already done this in previous posts, but its easy to misinterpret my stance, so I will again clarify.

there is nothing wrong with being a democrat in the true sense. I actually agree with alot of thier points.

HOWEVER, most of the ones you see in the politcal arena will not tell thier true democratic stance because its too "close" to the republican stance in many cases.
    Just look at the elections to now!... do any of the democrats point out "any" of the positives about republican views that they also agree on?

Do they even point out views that are "close"?... no, because when the existing power is republican, slightly agreeing with them will not win the election because people like to stay with what they are comfortable with unless they are getting something completely different.

Knowing human behaviour, the democrats only harp on points that are "extremely" different from the republican viewpoints. Thats their only way to pull away disgrutled folks away as they focus on that segement of the population most likely to be getting the short end of the stick in life because they choose not to get an education etc and so blame it on the authorities that be.

"Typical white trash mentality" = its everybody elses fault but mine! And everybody owes me a living for nothing because I still want to suck off my parents and not grow up!

The democrats tend to tell you what you want to hear to tickle your ears to win election points..... heck "they" don't even agree with the poppycock they promise you and never intend to do it!!!!

Although I agree with some of the ideas, I can never TRUST a democratic polital entity because it seems they always have hidden agenda's.

I really appreciate Bush's stance to do what he thinks is right "even if its not" in spite of politcal points and pressure.

If we want a puppet for president that will try to please us all and so change his stance from day to day and so get nothing accomplished as we all argue and pull him different directions... then elect an democrat.

If you want someone you believe has convictions and even though he may not be perfect, will make decisions based on his convictions and principles, then elect a republican.

Yes, I know thats very general too and not practical for every nonimee, but you get my drift.

No one is perfect, but we at least need to trust his heart.

8. jtullos

jtullos New Member

For several of your points, especially relating to campaign tactics and hidden agendas, I could (and do on occasion) say the same of Republicans.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jun 22 2006, 09:15 AM) [snapback]275276[/snapback]</div>
    I don't. He is a little too stubborn about doing things his way instead of the "right" way. And yes, I realize that in many situations, defining the "right" way is EXTREMELY difficult and contentious, especially when a large portion of the population is misled into believing the wrong thing is "right."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jun 22 2006, 09:15 AM) [snapback]275276[/snapback]</div>
    I want someone with convictions and principles, but who also realizes that they may very well be wrong, and is willing to adjust their actions (and in some cases their convictions/principles) if they are wrong.

Now that, I agree with 100%.

9. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jtullos @ Jun 22 2006, 09:02 AM) [snapback]275270[/snapback]</div>
    There is hope for the Democratic Party which America needs.
    Most of my rants do not include you or your type of liberal/democrat so sorry bout dat!
    I don't think you are wrong with the longeitivy of democracy in that region of the world. Especially if we cut and run now.

OMG!

1) I said something nice about the Libs!
    2) Gave an apology.
    3) An agreed with "one of them"

We're Doomed boys, cut and run for the hills. . . :lol:

Wildkow

10. Mirza

Mirza New Member

My three-tiered argument for classifying this as ultimately hogwash (in the context of trying to use it to justify the arguments used in the Iraq war):

-There was said to be an IMMEDIATE and URGENT threat of danger from the use of Weapons of Mass Destruction.
    -The arguments that IsrAmeriPrius cited, along with the Defense Dept. official
    -A look at Iraq history to see how these degraded (probably completely unusable) weapons got into Iraq, and how Saddam got power. I suggest you start with Wikipedia for this third tier.

11. jtullos

jtullos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 22 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]275296[/snapback]</div>
    Don't feel too bad, I've had people mistakenly think I'm Republican and/or Conservative before. And people have said I'm one of the best Christians they've ever met. Which is even funnier to me, because I'm an Atheist. I've also had annoyances getting on a plane before because my seat was in the exit row and they thought I was under 16 (I was 21 at the time).

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jtullos @ Jun 22 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]275283[/snapback]</div>

You know.. I actually agree with all your points... but when we vote someone into office as president.. that means he is commander in chief.

Yes there is a balance and he should keep himself surrounded with smart people and good counsel and listen to it.. but when all the facts are in.. he makes the final decision....

anything less that that from a president, makes him just a pansy and a puppet for not doing what he thinks is right after hearing all his councel.

I'm tired of trying to figure out whos running the country... the president or the presidents wife "pre bush" or some fan club or the guy with the most money.

Who do you want to make the final decision?.. you know it can't be you, so who?

I always question putting anyone in charge that can't even run thier own family.... some of these jokers we consider for president can't even run thier own lives, let alone everyone elses.

13. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jun 22 2006, 08:49 AM) [snapback]275259[/snapback]</div>
    Did it ever occur to you that given the age of these chemicals that they may have been part of the Rumsfeld package that we provided Saddam during the 80's? You know, like the same ones used to gas the Kurds. Perhaps that's why the White House hasn't touted the discovery.

14. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 21 2006, 07:50 PM) [snapback]275024[/snapback]</div>
    One of the things I've heard about 'degraded' weapons like this is that they are still just as dangerous as always in terms of the chemicals, but the capacity for the shell to burn rapidly and disperse the chemical over a wide area is degraded. They would still be great to use in an improvised manner on a subway, for instance. But on the battlefield they would have limited range.

I wonder how much time is required to restore the capacity for the shells to explode overhead and wipe out thousands?

There is a reason the government did not want this report declassified, and while this is only conjecture, it may be that it would be better for Al Quida to believe that there are no WMD than to think that somewhere in Iraq are still "degraded" chemical weapons lying about and available for the taking.

15. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Begreen @ Jun 22 2006, 08:31 PM) [snapback]275627[/snapback]</div>
    Your saying we supplied WMD to the Iraqi's? If so yeah, I guess I would say that could be the reason they didn't tout the discovery except they used it as a part of the justification to invade and therefore knew it before hand. Even so I think we have had a ban on the production and distribution so you will have to furnish some proof before I believe this story.

Wildkow

16. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 22 2006, 10:28 PM) [snapback]275671[/snapback]</div>
    We did give money, weapons, and training to the Iraqi's (remember way back) to fight the Iranians. It conceivable that Saddam took the money and the resources to buy and stockpile other stuff while being an ally of the U.S.

17. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Excerpted from Philadelphia Inquirer

dickpolman.blogspot.com

This purported revelation about the 500 chemical munition shells has already been knocked down by: Bush himself, the White House's Iraq Survey Group, and (yesterday) a senior Defense Department official. In addition, a Bush national security official refused today to characterize the story as important; last Sunday, when Bush press secretary Tony Snow was first asked about it, he simply brushed it off.

The shells, found buried in 2004 near the Iranian border, were leftovers from Iraq's war with Iran, which ended in 1988; U.S. inspectors have long concluded that these shells were no longer active, and should not be categorized as part of the WMD stockpile that Saddam Hussein supposedly possessed on the eve of the American invasion. Even the declassified document cited by Santorum points out that the shells were "degraded."

Indeed, the Iraq Survey Group, led by Charles Duelfer, concluded two years ago that Hussein "unilaterally" destroyed his active chemical weapons in 1991, and wrote that "there are no credible indications that (he) resumed production of chemical munitions thereafter."

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Begreen @ Jun 22 2006, 08:31 PM) [snapback]275627[/snapback]</div>

Well I"m not the perfect history buff be any stretch of the imagination....

but even in Vietnam, I don't recall us gassing the enemies except in the form of killing vegetation.

We did do a little testing and actually dropped some nerve gas VX on the N Koreans in 1968, but quickly stopped that after we saw the devestating effects of it and how nasty viral malaria broke out afterwards.

Why would we send such gases to Saddam? Even if we did, thier use was banned afterwards.

I suppose we could have supplied missles that could be filled with payloads and Saddam choose what to put in them?.. But I can't imagine we woul have assisted in gassing the Kerds.

Some have said we have "murdered" due to sanctions?
    I guess if you feed someone and they never learn how to feed themselves, or they have tons of babies so that they depend even more on your food "sounds like welfare eh?" and then you pull away that food, you could call it murder?

It would only be murder in the same sense that you pull the plug on someone getting drugs in the ICU to keep them alive. And that happens everyday!

Taking privilages and sustainance away from your children has always been an acceptable way of punishment.

You aren't actually implimenting death, your just removing life and letting nature take its course?

the United States has not had a perfect history, but we are trying to learn from our mistakes and force the world to follow through to make it safer for us and everyone.

Saddam ignores anyone else's councel for goodness for the whole and he only considers goodness for the "one".... himself.

He thinks nothing at destroying anyone he has the power to touch that is defeying his rule and reign and respect instigated by fear and terror including his own family.

Regardless of how he got it or who he got if from so long ago, he was not and would not honor new rules and principles set forth by the United Nations.

He was a law to himself and needed to be arrested for the safety of the whole.

19. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jun 23 2006, 02:56 AM) [snapback]275710[/snapback]</div>
    That's not what begreen is saying. He states that we, the USA, gave him the WMD's. A typical ploy used by his kind, make a false accusation and then "Cut N Run" to another topic and use the same tactic. Look up larkinmj and IsrAmeriPrius they do it all the time and never respond when challenged. This type will never tell you the truth even when it benefits their cause because it is an anathema to them. They support terror, dicator's and despot's all the while tearing down America. Just more Bottom Feeding Scum from the Far Far Left.

Wildkow

20. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 23 2006, 06:23 PM) [snapback]276095[/snapback]</div>
    And I'm saying we need to take responsibility for helping Saddam directly or indirectly. We gave training/weapons to the Taliban also.

Many of our problems seem self-inflicted.