1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

reprograming used smartkeys for 2010 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by syncmaster, Nov 6, 2010.

1. bbqnosher

bbqnosher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the suggestion regarding Art in Riverside. I didn't call him but I did send him an email back a week ago with the same thought process....no reply. I find it amazing that AD provides no help or support in this country(US). At the UK AD website they have a option where you input your postal code and an AD approved locksmith is identified....in the UK. You did provide me with new bit of information......I suspect I I know why the dealer failed....I bet they treated this used smart key as a new key rather than take the time to reset the ECU to accept the used key. I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see if they are willing to reset the ECU. If not, think I will give up, buy a new smart key ($172.50 plus shipping) at parts.com and get it programmed for $40. So for about $225 I'll be done. Thanks again for the input.

2. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The ECU reset takes 16 minutes and then your ECU is sequentially programmed to recognize each of your smartkeys (old and new). Make certain you bring all of the smart keys that you plan to have linked with your Prius.

3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    From what I understand, in order to program an used smart key you need to erase/remove all smart keys programmed to the vehicle. This requires the reset of the smart key ECU and requires the SEED, according to the service manual. Once the erase is complete, you can then re-add the keys.

4. pasoto1

pasoto1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I have an original smart key transponder , but lost my spare , want a spare any place in San Jose ,Ca i can go to have one made ???? I have 2010 Prius no moonroof Cost ??

5. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just order a new one from one of the Toyota dealers who sell parts on eBay. With your VIN, they can send you a new remote and a new pre-cutkey for a bit less than $300. I'm in your area and I have Techstream, and I can program for your free, the next time I'm in San Jose.

6. hastypete

hastypete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    anyone know of a San Jose / San Francisco bay area locksmith that can program a used key to a Gen III?

7. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Sassylady

Sassylady Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought a used 2010 Prius II and only got one key. The car was leased to a company in the south of the state, sold at auction and I bought it from the wholesaler. Anyone know of anyone in the Birmngham, Alabama area who can program these keys (used and/or new) without going to a dealer? Thanks for your time.

9. Simonak

Simonak Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had no luck finding anyone cheap around Chicago area they all asked 95$ for each fob so i ended up doing all myself.

I got used fob from ebay $37
    this cable Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is High quality v8.00.034 mini vci for toyota tis techstream for all the diagnostic communication protocols with free shipping it have 1.41 firmware
    installed latest Techstream on win7 32bit laptop
    and paid 28$ for the passcode Calculation of Passcode for Toyota, Lexus, Scion vehicles

After reset when registering keys use the last option that you replace ecu and did reset
    and start with the used key first.

Also if you buy a new fob for around 180$ you don't need to reset anything just program the fob with the cable.
    It take like 2 minutes.

10. vito.a

vito.a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Tommy at Trap Auto in Costa Mesa can reprogram a used Gen III Prius Fob and cut the key. He travels around LA, so you can make an appointment to meet him in various SoCal locations.
    Tommy at Trap Auto 949 678 2623

11. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A