1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reprogrammed key fob starts car but won’t lock/unlock

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GGG8, Jan 23, 2023.

Tags:
  1. GGG8

GGG8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    i’ve read the forums and watched videos on how to reprogram a used key fob for my 2009 Prius. I successfully programmed it to start the car, but even when I change the battery, it will not lock or unlock the doors from outside. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When you push the buttons on the remote do you see a white or a red light on the remote lighting when you're pushing one of the buttons That's the first thing to check

When you say it will start the car you mean the fob has to be inserted into the slot to start the car? It will not start the car with the remote in your pocket? Is this a silver-backed SKS remote?

#2 Tombukt2, Jan 23, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2023
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can we first establish whether this 2009 is an SKS model or a non-SKS model?

SKS has:
    • a black pad on the front door handles and rear hatch;
    • a button labeled "Key" below the steering wheel;
    • and if original, a key fob that has a silver Toyota logo on the back of it.

SFO likes this.