1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Republican presidential candidates who don't believe in evolution

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by larkinmj, May 4, 2007.

1. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

At the Republican presidential debate, the candidates were asked to indicate which of them do not believe in biological evolution. Three of them (Huckabee, Brownback and Tancredo) raised their hands.
    Now, granted these three have virtually no chance of being elected president (you might say that about all ten of them :) ). Nevertheless, I find it disconcerting that someone who could conceivably become President of the U.S. thinks that people and dinosaurs were running around together 6,000 years ago (although, didn't Bush once say that evolution was "only a theory"?)

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2007...and_of_god.html

2. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There wasn't a single candidate that came through that debate without my immediate disqualification. Each of them answered from a religious or ignorant point of view in the stem cell, abortion and/or evolution issues.

Once again I can confirm I am not a republican.

3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did they also wiegh in on if they believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny? :D

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    3 of the 10? That's 30%. So the percentage of presidential candidates that don't believe in evolution is less or more than the percentage of the general public that don't believe in evolution?

(Careful. This may be on the final.)

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(huskers @ May 4 2007, 07:06 PM) [snapback]435733[/snapback]</div>
    Of course, you have to believe in both because everyone knows Santa evolved from the Easter Bunny. Or is it that Elmer Fudd evolved from Grape Ape?

6. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ May 4 2007, 09:20 PM) [snapback]435778[/snapback]</div>
    Polls that I have seen suggest that over 50% of Americans believe that God created man in his present form. So the small sample of the Republican presidential candidates would lead to the conclusion that they are at least as enlightened as the American public. But shouldn't we expect that those who aspire to lead this country would be among the best and the brightest? And so often we are dissapointed. :(

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 4 2007, 10:03 PM) [snapback]435828[/snapback]</div>
    Well, yes.

But it takes a lot of ambition to become President.

And I've read that I.Q. is in direct opposition to ambition: the more ambitious, the less likely to be the "best and brightest".

I think our current President is a VERY ambitious man. Sorta supports the theory.

8. Ethereal

Ethereal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ May 4 2007, 03:43 PM) [snapback]435619[/snapback]</div>
    It sure is great to know that only conservatives and other "neaderthals" have "litmus tests." :rolleyes:

9. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ethereal @ May 4 2007, 10:44 PM) [snapback]435849[/snapback]</div>
    I tend to use reality as a litmus test..

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Social Darwinists who don't believe in Darwinism. Hilarious.

11. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ May 4 2007, 10:38 PM) [snapback]435842[/snapback]</div>
    But it could be said that Tancredo and Brownback are just running to make a point, not feed their ambition. And when it comes to radiating ambition don't forget your sunblock when in the presence of Clinton or Obama.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ May 4 2007, 08:20 PM) [snapback]435778[/snapback]</div>
    And the answer is...
    Pew says 48% we evolved, 42% we were created, 10% don't know (wusses).

Didn't watch either debate but I find this curious. Did the democrats have to answer similar questions by a show of hands. Such as, "How many believe Mary was a virgin? -- You're excused Lieberman."

edit: Forgot to comment on the irony of your use of the phrase "best and brightest", the title of Halberstam's book about how those Harvard geniuses got us into Viet Nam. NB Halberstam just recently died.

edit redux (I hate when that happens): You, of course, were quoting someone else's use of the phrase which I think was even more ironical.

12. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 4 2007, 07:03 PM) [snapback]435828[/snapback]</div>
    Politicians often take stands that are consistent with the views of the main group of people they represent. I happen to think that 50% number is overstated, and probably the result of a question that pits "Godless evolution" against "sudden creation by God". In other words, less is thought about evolution in answering the question, and more is thought about whether God exists or not. That's just supposition, but I'll bet you would get a high percentage of the American people who would agree with a statement like "Science has determined that man is the product of evolution, and theologians have said that God can work any way he likes, including through evolution. Do you believe God could create man through evolution?"

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RonH @ May 5 2007, 12:04 AM) [snapback]435898[/snapback]</div>
    I quoted it from the previous poster. It was his description and I used it for continuity.

14. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ May 5 2007, 01:16 AM) [snapback]435905[/snapback]</div>
    This is from a CBS News poll:

15. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ May 4 2007, 11:38 PM) [snapback]435842[/snapback]</div>
    In politics, it's generally accepted that the skills it takes to get elected do not necessarily translate to being able to perform the job well once elected.

Although it was just a movie (but a good one), The Candidate starring Robert Redford exemplified this conundrum brilliantly. The movie ends when Redford who, after going through the election process throughout the entire movie and ultimately wins, turns to his campaign manager (played by the great Peter Boyle) while alone in a hotel room and simply asks, "What do we do now?" Boyle looks at him, puzzled, and asks, "What?" Redford repeats the question and Boyle stares at him silently with a blank look on his face, then they're both swept out of the room by their exuberant supporters and the movie ends.

I get the feeling that the majority of the time, this is exactly what happens. These people are good at getting themselves elected but haven't a clue as to what to do after they win. I suspect that Bush will go down in history as being one of the best examples of this theory.

16. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I don't know that Bush is particularly ambitious- every thing I have read about him suggests the opposite. He had a lackluster career before becoming president- he was a party-boy in college, running a couple of companies into the ground, etc. He never struck me as someone who wanted to be president his whole life- it seemed more that he was coerced into it by his party, which thought he'd be a more sellable product to the American public than, say, Bob Dole or Dick Cheney. And he certainly hasn't shown a great work ethic since assuming office- he spent much of his first term on vacation.

17. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 4 2007, 10:03 PM) [snapback]435828[/snapback]</div>
    They're bright enough to know that they have to say what the voters want them to say ("These so-called SCIENTISTS say the EARTH rotates around the SUN! If elected, I'll...")