1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reputable eBay sellers for battery cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Josh B., Jul 20, 2015.

1. Josh B.

Josh B. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm in the process of trying to recondition and repair my HV battery based on all the great info in these threads. Thanks to all who've contributed! Right now it looks like I only need one replacement cell based on my initial tests.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has bought cells from eBay and who is a good, reputable seller? There are a million of them out there, and most don't seem to list in the title the capacity or if they were cycled or not, just the voltage. I found one guy (tedb8) who seems to deal with a lot and at advertised at least a 4000mAh capacity, but just wanted to see if anyone has experience with anyone in particular.

Thanks,

Josh

gdanner likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    send a message to our member EricBecky, our non official resident battery guy lol. He has modules to sell you.

gdanner and m.wynn like this.
  3. Josh B.

Josh B. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tip!

4. gdanner

gdanner Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am very pleased with the 4 used/tested gen2 modules I purchased 3 weeks ago from eBay user "bradstuff"

My 2005 Prius (83k miles) was generating frequent P0A80 codes. I found one totally faulty module (6.62V) in my HV battery. I also identified one other module that was 100mV lower than the others. So I replaced that module too. This leaves me with 2 spare modules from my eBay purchase just in case.

I've driven about 250 miles on my DIY repair so far. No DTC codes. Mpg immediately improved from <32 to 40+ mpg. I use Torque/Android. It is telling me that the repaired HV battery is working perfectly.

I'm planning to bench test my 2 spare eBay modules and also the weak/failed modules I removed from my Prius. I'm a EE by trade and have done a lot of work with small NiMH battery packs (in cordless phone handsets), but this is my first exposure to high-power NiMH applications.

I had no problems removing/reinstalling/repairing my HV battery thanks to the excellent information available right here on Prius chat!

-EB

strawbrad and rbdigital like this.
  5. Josh B.

Josh B. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know and thanks for the info.

I've got my pack out of the car and am in the process of conditioning the good cells right now using two Hitec X4s. Fingers crossed it works as well for me as it has for others. Would you mind if I message you about your experience if need be?