1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reputable repair facilities for battery in Tacoma area?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RedCactus, Aug 22, 2017.

1. RedCactus

RedCactus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello all, another newbie here with a major issue. Got the triangle of death at the start of the weekend, read the code and it stated that it needed a new battery. So off the car went to Toyota who has informed me we need to replace the entire battery. Since I bought this vehicle used from an outside source Toyota let me know that the dealership installed aftermarket parts which just raises the overall price of repair through Toyota. I'm trying to do some research and see if there are any reputable repair facilities in the Tacoma/Olympia/Seattle area that can help/provide me with more information.

There is also a plethora of information online promoting/discouraging just fixing the cells that are no longer functioning. I'm just on the hunt for any facts I can get at this point to better decide my next course of action.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

How many miles on this vehicle?

The dealer mentioned after market parts, did they specify which parts exactly?

How much does the dealer want to replace the entire battery?

3. RedCactus

RedCactus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Glad to be here! It has about 67,300 miles on it.

They didn't specify which parts, just that it was Toyota standard and increased the quote they gave me. I'm about to go to Toyota, should I have more pointed questions in regard to the parts?

They quoted $5100 without tax.

SFO likes this.
  4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like they will not be crediting you for the HV battery core charge ($1300), now how would they know it wasn't the original battery without tearing apart the trunk to take a look..

Can't think of any other part (aftermarket or not) that would increase the cost of a HV battery replacement.

$5100 (w/o tax) for a new battery installed (with a 3 year factory warranty) that should last at least 10 more years if properly maintained is a little high, but if they had deducted the $1300 for the core it would be about average in cost at $3800 +tax.

There are other options that are less expensive. This *new* battery option (linked below) would cost well under half of the dealers quoted price.. and you still get a new HV battery installed with the 3 year unlimited mile warranty (may not apply to labor, best to ask) : 2004–2009 Toyota Prius hybrid battery pack with new generation cells

You should ask for all of the diagnostic codes that were retrieved from the vehicle, those could be helpful to those offering advice regarding your next course of action.

#4 SFO, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  5. Ajourney101

Ajourney101 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had my hybrid battery replaced by

HYBRID BATTERY EXCHANGE LLC

I opted for the 3 year unlimited mileage warranty for 1599.00

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Ajourney101

Ajourney101 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. peripatetic pri

peripatetic pri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi! did u find reputable battery and/or install place in Spanaway/Seattle area? mine is 1st gen '01. Codes
    p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 21.0px Didot; color: #a87db4; background-color: #f9f3a5}

p3006, p3000

Still trying to figure out whether dlr uses refurbed batteries or whether new. if new, the 1st gen aren't supp to be that great bc of pla that great bc of plastic around cells, or something.

has anyone tried the place in kent, greentec?

which dlr in this area would be least expensive/

any help much appreciated!

Ajourney, can you let me know where you had installed? And what kind of warranty you rec'd? Thank you!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! you should search the gen1 forum for more help. there are some knowledgeable owners there, who might not see this.
    all the best!(y)

9. peripatetic pri

peripatetic pri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thank you! posted here bc i'm in same geog area as poster and if mechanic can work on gen 2 they can probably work on gen 1! any input? thanks!

#9 peripatetic pri, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2018
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    click on journeys avatar, then click 'start a conversation'. type her a message, and when you post, it will send her an email notification.

11. 08typr

08typr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Did you ever find a repairman near Tacoma? I'm in the same boat. :(