1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Request for opinions - asap would be great :-)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by eseerc, Feb 3, 2013.

1. eseerc

eseerc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good Afternoon, first I will apologize for the length of this message... ha ha

I currently drive a 2007 Prius with base trim. It has 77,000 miles on it. Mine has a backup camera and satellite radio already equipped. I have been trying to sell a 2004 Ford Explorer I own with little luck. I've decided to look into trading in both my Prius and Explorer on a newer Prius.

My explorer is paid off, but costs roughly $70/month in insurance, registration, maintenance, etc

Here are the options I've come across..

1) 2011 Prius (Trim Level One). 29,601 miles. This one does not have any bells & whistles, it is a very base model. This option comes with a lifetime powertrain warranty (unlimited time and miles). This option would increase my car payment about $75/month nearly washing out since I am putting about $70/month into my explorer.

2) 2010 Prius (Trim Level III). 52,190 miles. This one has a lot more options (navigation, backup camera, satellite equipped). However, it does not come with a warranty. This vehicle would increase my car payment by $60/month.... **technically** I should be coming out a little better overall since I am spending around $70 months on the Explorer.

3) Do nothing and keep my 2007, continuing to try to sell the Explorer.

So my questions....

1) Is the warranty the Toyota dealership provides on the 2011 model worth giving up the extra features of the 2010? I commute a great distance for my job and put 25,000 miles on my 2007 in my first year owning it. The warranty would provide a nice piece of mind for a vehicle I would plan on running until it dies :).

2) Are there any major advantages between the 2010/2011 models? Also major avantages between either of the newer ones and my 2007?

I appreciate any and all input. Thank you very much.

2. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Many miles left on your 2007 drive another 100,000 sell at 170,000 and then buy a newer one. In the short term sell your 2004 Ford Explorer and keep the money for normal maint. and ect.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had a lengthy discussion with a few people who modify prii. one guy tears apart and sends out millions of dollars a year of prius parts.

your genII engine is supposedly rock solid compared to the genIII 1.8L engine. to keep it would probably cost you less in the end. repair cost (third party) is fairly cheap. with the knowledge of this forum on troubleshooting and rebuilding, an expensive project like rebuilding the battery can be done at a fraction of the cost of a dealership doing the repairs (third party again)...

btw, 77k miles is nothing so far. a few repairs here and there down the line. (it's said and posted a long time ago that toyota simulated a 20 year/500k mile test on these systems. no clue where that data went)

ive been pulling (on and off) a 5x8 trailer (sometimes loaded with up to 1,500 +/- a few hundred lbs) for over 100k miles. i have a two inch hitch. the car still out accelerates other small trucks.. but when i'm not hauling i get normal mileage. when i do haul i get about 32-40mpg.. usually around 35mpg. pretty unbeatable imho

just my .02

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    3)
    You didn't state your motivation so I will assume it is to save money. In most cases, a newer car will cost more in insurance, monthly payments, and depreciation. Unlimited lifetime power train warranty doesn't cover everything. It's very sneaky. Power train is what motivates the car to move. Meaning, suspension, brakes, batteries, air conditioner, heater, starter, etc, etc are not covered. Only the engine is covered.

Since you list ASAP, I'm guessing the dealer is saying these deals won't last. Well, the benefit of having a 2007 Prius with 77k miles is that you know it will still work for years to come. So should you decide in the future that you really want a newer car, you'd be in the market for a used 2012 or used 2013 Prius. 2012 Prius had a minor update over the 2010/2011 models.

5. eseerc

eseerc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you all for the input thusfar.

My primary motivation is actually 2 part. One, I am trying to get down to one vehicle and im at a point where the dealership is offering me just about the same amount of money for the explorer on trade as what i could sell it for. Secondly..... I just want a newer car purely for selfish reasons. Saving money is good, but not really driving part to my decision. Its a "perfect storm" situation where I am looking at the possibility of "upgrading" my vehicle, without affecting how much I spend monthly on it.

I was asking ASAP because my current prius is due for inspection/registration by the end of the month, no deadline by the dealership.

Thank you all and please keep the input coming :)

6. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm assuming you don't think you need the extra cargo capacity of the v and care more about mpg?

In my opinion, the 3rd generation is a much better car than the 2nd generation. Better handling and better seats. Maybe you should try renting one for a day and see how you like it? I would lean towards the III over the I, for better stereo and probably leather and better remote key entry. Not an expert, but I think they left some other things out of the I. On the other hand, you could hold out for the next new model in 2015.

7. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Very little if any difference between the 10 and 11 models, there were some recalls on the early 10's but that should be about it. I would rather have a 3 than a 1. A 1 has less than your current model, No backup camera and I think no sks, that would be a deal breaker for me. If it were me I would just dump the truck as soon as possible and save your money for a few months and try for a well equipped 11 or 12 model (3 or higher). Good luck with your decision.

8. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Consider getting a 2012 PiP instead - new is best for warranty coverage, you're not buying someone else's problems, there are plenty discounted PiPs available not that far away from central PA on dealer lots in Virginia and Maryland, and (assuming you can charge where you live) it's a really nice car with idiotically good gas mileage.

9. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I forgot to say, such a deal I can make you on my 2010 V, since I just bought a pip! :)

10. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So from what I gather, you owe on the 2007 Prius and the 2004 Explorer is free and clear. You're not saving any money going with the 2010 or 2011 - basically a wash for each. So, why not just sell the Explorer? You've been trying to but no takers. There's got to be buyer out there for it. What's the trade-in offer? Can you sell it privately for more than that? Is it in decent shape? OTOH, if you just want a newer car, then you likely already have your mind made up. But if you go with the 2011 base model, will you miss the bells and whistles? And if you go with the 2010, there's only 15K miles difference from your 2007, so it doesn't seem to make sense to pay a lot more for it at this point. If you're going to buy used, consider buying a certified Prius so you'll at least have a warranty. I can say from experience, when it comes to cars, think about the money MORE than about the new car itself - you'll end up making a better decision

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would get the '11 if money isn't a problem.

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Both Prius still have the balance of the factory warranty. A 2010 III Nav is going to be a step up from your 2007. I don't know how central in PA you are but there are Prius by the dozen sitting on the lots in NJ.

Selling the Ford & keeping your Prius is the cheapest way to go but if you want a newer car check both the 2011 & 2010 carefully. Does the stuff that's missing in the 2011 bother you? Do you want the extra stuff in the 2010? Not all 2010's were created equal. There were three stages of production for 2010. Early production does not have a USB port in the center armrest toward the back. Middle production does not have Safety Connect.

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sell the Ford privately.
    No takers = too high asking price or impatience on the part of the seller.
    Slow down and think this out.

There is NO WAY that you can "save money" by trading 2 used cars for 1 used car at a dealership.
    As soon as the Ford sells...and it will if you keep lowering the price...pay off the G2 and you'll have 1 car all the way paid for.
    Bank any remainder.

No brainer. :)

14. eseerc

eseerc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you everyone for the great input.

To hit on a couple points.....

1) I have no idea why the Explorer is not selling. Ive had it listed for 6 months online and in local newspapers. I've dropped the price twice during this time. Perhaps it is listed too high, but I think at $4,200, I should at least be getting some phonecalls of people trying to talk me down... ha ha

2) The features the 2010 model has over the 2011 are not dealbreakers. I currently do not have navigation in my 2007, so that doesnt bother me. I think I would miss the backup camera, but do not think that should deter me from upgrading my car. I do not think I use it a whole lot anyway.

3) I'm leaning toward the 2011, since the 2010 really doesn't give me much of an advantage in terms of the miles.

Thanks again everyone!

15. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    liability insurance on the ford and keep the prius