1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Required Maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JShorr, May 31, 2005.

1. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The world of auto lube is so stuck in the dark ages. Change intervals are increasing or are being based upon oil sump based sensors and yet so many places still subscribe to the 3 mo/3,000 mi concept. But that is only the case because they make so much money off from oil changes. They take no time to do, and have pretty high markup. A garage could theoretically net more on oil changes than repair work if they ran enough volume of oil changes in a day. That is why quick lube places have sprung up like weeds in the past 10 years. It seems pretty obvious that repairing cars doesn't make nearly as much money as changing their oil.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeromep\";p=\"96518)</div>
    Thanks, that needed to be said.

Also, thanks to the self-serving API, a few generations of drivers have been raised on the "3 month 3,000 mi" garbage. Even a minimum API "Starburst" junk oil should be good for at least 4,000-6,000 miles.

A good synthetic in a tight motor should be good for 12 months or 10,000 mi. With a bypass oil filter, you only change the oil when the UOA tells you to.

3. jdfoster

jdfoster New Member

Since we live 110 miles from the dealer I asked when we bought the car if I could change the oil myself and still keep the warranty. He replied that I could but that the car would still need to be lubed by the dealer. He said when you do it at home you might not get the right amout of grease in the zerts. Is this a true statement ?I don't want to void my warranty or have a bearing go bad. Thanks Jim

4. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There haven't been zerks (sp.); i.e. grease fittings on the chassis of most cars for almost 30 years now. I can't speak directly to the Prius, however it doesn't makes sense that a manufacturer like Ford would move over to sealed bearings and zerk-less chassis and Toyota would remain in the world of grease fittings. I'm inclined to believe that is just more dealer FUD.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdfoster\";p=\"96533)</div>
    Jim:

If you mean "zerk" then no, that is NOT a true statement. I've gone over my 2004 Prius carefully, and I haven't found a single zerk.

You used to be able to find zerk's on: driveshaft universal joints, upper and lower balljoints, tie rod ends, pitman arms, idler arms, etc.

The Prius appears to use a sealed / lubed-for-life ball joints, tie rod end, and there is no conventional driveshaft. The front wheel drive CV joints are sealed with a flexible boot and they only have to be "repacked" when you need to repair the boot.

That's why it's a good idea to take a peek at your CV boots once a month. Some Obsessive-Compulsive like to check their boots once a week, I think that may be a tad excessive.

If you catch a rip or tear in the boot early enough, it's possible to use a FlexxBoot (Special expandible boot applied with a pneumatic device) to avoid taking the entire CV assembly out:

http://www.astoria2000.com

Otherwise, if you live in an area with a lot of winter road salt use, take apart the caliper slide pins every fall and every spring, clean them, and apply Caliper Lubricant, then reassemble. Hope this helps.

Jay

6. jdfoster

jdfoster New Member

Thanks Jay I had a feeling the dealer was singing with the frogs. Jim

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My dealer does 'lube' the car when I get an oil change.

The tech sprays aerosol 'white grease' on all the door/hood/hatch hinges.

It's nice of him, but the overspray attracts gunk, so I wind up cleaning up behind him :)

But as far as the old grease gun, as others have said, I can't find any place to use it.

Actually, I have 3-4 of them lying around the garage. I only need one for the sickle bar mower, so if you want one let me know :)

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Ask the dealer to show you where they would do such lubing, and if they can't, then they owe you something, like a free oil filter.

9. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my new Prius last week and negotiated the prepaid service down to 676$ for 4 years or 44,000 miles. I looked at the service requirements as stated in the service booklet and for that entire 4 year period the oil needs to be changed every 5000 miles and the cabin filter every 30,000. The booklet says check all other stuff but no drain and refill on the tranny and coolant for about 100,000 miles.no spark plus service either. My question is What did I buy a prepaid maintainance agreement for if all they do for 44,000 miles is change the oil? and check everything else. Why don't I change the oil myself every 5000 and save 676 up front?
    Opinions?
    Paul R. Haller

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Paul, sorry to say it sounds like you got ripped off... it's the dealer's job to try to sell you all these extra things. Since you just got it last week, maybe you can go back and try to cancel that prepaid maintenance plan.

My husband takes our cars to work with him (he works at the dealer) and does all maintenance himself after work hours using the equipment at his bay.

The Prius really doesn't require much for maintenance. Sorry the dealer sold you something you don't really need...

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

That's what I have been saying! The prepaid maintenance has no value for a Prius!

12. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000 @ Jun 7 2005, 08:14 AM) [snapback]96341[/snapback]</div>
    how come all the talk about oil changes and no talk about the major and minor services? Are people having these huge 15k and 30k and 45k and son on services done? I am given to understand that they are 600 or 400, major and minor, respectively. I'm also given to understand that they void your warranty if you ever let anyone touch your car outside of a dealership and certainly no one else can change your oil.

Please reassure me about this!

13. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paul R. Haller @ Jun 20 2005, 04:25 PM) [snapback]100229[/snapback]</div>
    Looks like they 'serviced' you. I'd expect 8 oil changes, a cabin filter, and maybe an engine air filter or two (I can't remember the schedule on those) to cost about half that amount, even at a dealer.

14. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Nov 1 2006, 05:11 PM) [snapback]342189[/snapback]</div>
    They can't void your warranty for having your oil changed elsewhere. They might hint at it, or try to sell their service that way, though...

What do those 400 and 600 dollar services include?

Seriously, I don't know about any "major service" that needs to be done, since this car has a timing chain from what I understand. I DIY, and go by the book. From what I can remember of the schedule, the 15K service seemed to include stuff like inspecting various fluid levels, brake pads etc., I just did the 15K one a month or so back, basically an oil change and tire rotation. I will change the PSD fluid at 25 or 30K, but I don't think the dealer would include that on a service visit unless you asked. I basically hope and believe (crossing fingers) this car will be better on maintenance than the car it replaced, I found myself needing brake pads every 30 ~ 35K, rotors every other time, timing belts every 60K, and so on. These should be non-issues on a Prius from what I've read.

15. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Nov 1 2006, 05:11 PM) [snapback]342189[/snapback]</div>

Huge services? Look at your owners manual instead of trusting your dealer to tell you what maintenance is needed. If your dealer gave you the impression that letting anyone else touch your car will void your warranty, run away from them (not to them) to someone you can trust.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=2...&hl=service