1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Requirements analysis - traffic accident mitigation

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Apr 4, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Death Toll Rises as U.S. Drivers Keep Engaging in Distracted Driving | TheDetroitBureau.com

Highway fatalities had been dropping for more than a decade until two years, when that trend began to reverse direction. A look by a safety organization revealed the behaviors drivers are engaging in behind the wheel ratcheting that number up.
    . . .
    Some of the worst things drivers do and believe include:

• 47% believe it is safe to send a text either manually or via voice-dictation systems.
    • 45% feel pressure from employers to check email while driving; however, 44% say they have crashed in the last three years while they were either commuting or traveling for business.
    • 35% of teens would use social media behind the wheel.
    • 17% of teens feel their own distraction may have contributed to a crash.
    • 71% believe they can have up to 3 drinks before they are not safe or too impaired to drive.
    • 33% believe it is acceptable to drive with less than four hours of sleep.
    • 32% say new cars can essentially drive themselves.
    • 13% have driven after using marijuana in the last month.
    I bring this up because a co-worker died this weekend and early reports suggested the driver who caused the crash had been weaving while texting. About 10 years ago, I was stopped at an intersection and saw a driver on a cell phone 'run the yellow' light and get hit mid-sentence. The point is the roads are more dangerous from cell phone usage while driving.

So Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) is a reasonable response that puts a never tired, never distracted, computer in charge of speed and distance control. With lane keep assist, the driver gets a reminder when something is going wrong. This is the requirement that led to our 2017 Prius Prime.

Bob Wilson

RCO, Mendel Leisk, breakfast and 2 others like this.
  2. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

While I agree to you Bob, Toyota could do with standardising the whole TSS-P thing for the rest of the world, not just the US of A.

SM-G900I ?

bisco likes this.
  3. Spindifferent

Spindifferent Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    autonomous vehicles are the only answer, and the texting generation will welcome them. for now, as bob always says, don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would humbly submit that this problem will only be mitigated when people treat distracted driving like they presently do drunk driving.

In the 50s and 60's drunk driving wasn't treated as a crime as much as it was a civil infraction that was dealt with by ticketing and maybe a lawsuit if you squished somebody's kid.
    Then?
    Moms got madd, and now even first offender DUI's are treated as a more serious crime with lifelong consequences.

Today, most people do not treat DD with the same contempt that they have for 'drink driving' as the Europeans call it......but eventually that WILL change.
    I would submit that some drunk drivers have a much better excuse than people poking on glass, because one could argue that alcohol and other drugs interfere with higher brain function, causing one to lose the ability to make decisions.
    People who read, shave, eat, and diddle with their phones and NAV screens just don't give a rats, and are mostly unaware of the assholery that they're engaging in.

Additionally, there's a school of thought that the alphabet-soup of new car safety features are exacerbating an already dangerous disconnect between driver and car - a process that is already being looked at in the aviation community.
    At least one time, pilot(S) have flown a perfectly healthy airliner into the sea following a relatively minor sensor issue.

This is a problem that will be solved initially through education and legislation......NOT technology.
    Eventually?
    Yeah, we'll have the George Jetson self-flying car........but remember, that's going to cause some interesting ethical problems of its own.
    I gave an example recently of an "intelligent" car trying to decide whether or not to drive itself off a cliff to save a school bus full of kids stopped in the road.....and there will be MANY shades of right and wrong in between.

Me?
    I still want to be in the decision loop somewhere, until infirmities catch up with me and relegate me to a trike.....and then a walker.
    Circle of life. :D
    Of course.....if I have a granddaughter on the school bus, then maybe I want Robbie the Robot to make that call....

History doesn't repeat itself, but it sort of rhymes every now and then.

Maybe I'll create a new career for myself!!!!!
    Transportation Ethicist!

Prius Maximus and RCO like this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Aviation is good about looking at accidents for lessons learned. But just two weeks ago, a private plane came apart in clouds which has been going on for longer than I care to relate. Literally the parts fell from the clouds. Still cockpit bulkheads have all but stopped hijacking only to lead to at least three cases of flight crew suicide crashes.
    We'll have to agree to disagree about this as many family trees include at least one 'idiot cousin.' If you have to ask who is that? The answer is you. <GRINS>

We've had similar discussions about seat belts. Even today, I know people who refuse to use a seatbelt convinced they are more dangerous than not wearing one. Funnily enough, they often smoke cigarettes.

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hollywood is no help: just do an informal poll as you're watching movies/shows, an alarmingly common lack of seatbelt usage, and a lot of smoking "role models".

RCO, bisco and bwilson4web like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We watch a lot of British "police procedural" series (and Scandinavian, German, Dutch, Belgian) and it seems like most everyone "belts up", just by comparison.

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've heard police are exempt from California's seatbelt laws.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My wife and I took the bus the other day, and I suddenly had an "awakening" moment, about the fact we're hurtling down a highway with no seatbelts. Maybe in another decade that'll change, and the current situation will seem nuts?

11. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Police are apparently exempt from all laws. Red lights, stop signs, speed limits... Why should they wear a seatbelt? Don't forget, it slows them down when buying donuts at the drive thru....

On a serious note, my wife is still complaining about how the seat belt broke her sternum. She still has pain or at least discomfort frequently, 2 years later. I am always telling her that if it wasn't for the seatbelt, she wouldn't be alive. but then the broken bone almost pierced her heart, so it's still a difficult call. To show you how things change, when we met, I was the one who never wore a seatbelt and she would ridicule me for it.

But I think it's more the attitude than the distraction. Nobody gives a crap anymore. There's no respect or courtesy. Everybody is going too fast and damn the torpedos everybody else needs to get out of their way...

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not if you have a cell phone...... :eek:

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Around here nobody comes to a full legal stops, pretty much ubiquituous I guess. I started doing it, gets me honked at, no less.

14. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am very reluctant to use my phone while driving. Too distracting in the NASCAR demolition derby environment!

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Some days you don't even get a seat. Same thing on the train. As the Conductor said, "We promise you a ride, not a seat."

Mendel Leisk likes this.