1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Resale Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by markabele, May 15, 2013.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    So I'm looking into a PiP and am doing everything I can to justify this purchase. While working on the numbers more today I had an interesting thought:

Since I live in Nebraska and there is no where even remotely close that sells the PiP, would it's resale potential be much higher? This is a question that realistically we can only speculate on an answer.

I did however bring up kbb.com numbers for a 2012 PiP (2013's aren't in there yet). According to KBB you can trade in a year old PiP that has 20k miles on it for roughly the same price I can purchase it. Does this provide even more justification for my purchase or am I reaching here?

2. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would say you are reaching. It might help you a bit, but not what you are thinking. The big incentives that are offered in the east coast are hurting everybody. You have to take in the tax credit and any other incentives your state gives you. People that are trying to sell theirs now are surprised of the resale value. Especially since there are still new 2012s sitting on dealer lots.

3. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What kind of numbers are people seeing upon resale?

4. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Look on cars.com or autotrader at used cars. If you are not in a rush, I would buy a new one on the east coast. You can get a new 2012 Advanced for around $30,000 then the tax credit and any incentives in your state. A base is around $25,000. A used one is going to go for whatever somebody is willing to pay and what you are willing to loose. I see used Advanced models for $26,000 and $22,000 for base with low miles. But, not in Nebraska.

5. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think you should buy a PIP only if you plan to keep it for several years or more. By then the resale market will have changed. In CA you have to keep it for 3 years to keep the $1500 rebate. And the federal rebate of $2500 will affect resale values.

Mike

6. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :confused:I checked both sources and there are still 2012 Plug Ins available on the east coast, but not that many compared to the west coast. Not so sure the "optimistic" $30,000 selling price for a 2012 Plug In Advance, with additional tax credits is realistic. Every listing I checked for east coast availability list MSRP only with no mention of 2012 model close out incentives. I'm sure there are deals to be had, but listing MSRP only, won't sell these cars if you say there are $30,000 new 2012 Plug In Advance deals available. I purchased my 2012 Advance from Koons Toyota in Northern Virginia in January 2013. They have multiple dealers in Virginia and Maryland. They only show three new 2012 Priis available, NO Plug Ins. They were aggressive with the 2012s and can't imagine they wouldn't take more if available, or that hard to move for other dealers. I'm not sure what's the true story on new 2012s, specifically, Plug Ins. If new 2012s are selling for "around" $30,000 (all I see is $30,000, not $34,900), I could be a top 2012 Prius Plug sales person. Not saying there haven't been some exceptional deals, but it looks like most dealers are holding out for more versus less. Without contacting dealers, I have no idea other than their online ads.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    reaching. in my experience, kbb is a dream world. dealers use black book which is about 75% of kbb.

8. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Buy a PiP because you WANT it, forget about the resale, the incentives on the East Coast have totally destroyed the used car market for the PiP (I know this first hand).

9. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What if you buy from said East Coast...then your resale differential has gone up, correct? :)

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    seems like you could make a living buying cars on the right, driving them to the left and selling.:p

markabele likes this.
  11. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :rolleyes:Always something to worry about. Stock, gold, home prices, etc. Never purchased a new or used car and made money on it. My 2012 Prius Plug In is no exception. Vehicles are a necessity of life for most people. They are depreciating assets, but you don't lose money until you sell or trade them. Don't worry until you contemplate selling.
    Over the past six months, there have been some great incentives on 2012 east cost plug ins. Couldn't find anything other than MRSP pricing this morning while searching online?

12. Electric Charge

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Very true, but the PiP used value is worse than typical used car pricing, since Toyota is having trouble selling them, so they are dumping so many incentives in my area, to the point it doesn't make sense to buy them used.

13. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You could say this about any vehicle. If you paid a lot more than what they are selling for now you will get hosed when you resell it.

14. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The incentives for the 2012s were stripped this month. There is no longer 0% financing or rebates. Toyota gave the dealer cash to sell them off and no longer offering a rebate. The lowest I was able to find was some dealer in Boston that was selling an Advanced model for $30,650 if I recall. But, he would not sell out of state for that price. He would sell for $31,650. If you must buy one now, I know a dealer in Upstate NY selling Advanced for $30,990...PM me if you need the info. If you are not in a rush, wait for the 2013s to be discounted more. In Jersey and some other states they are currently at $4,650 rebate and 0% financing for 2013 Base and Advanced.

15. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    They may come down a hair more but I personally don't think the 2013's will come down much, if at all, for quite some time. My reasoning is...
    1. This is the second model year and Toyota understands the demand a little better than they did last year, thus probably causing their supply level to more adequately reflect it.
    2. Gas is starting to go up fairly high again. Memorial Day is usually one of the most expensive times of the year and you usually don't see too much relief until the end of summer.
    3. I don't think they have room to go down much more. Most of these dealers are already below invoice (granted it's with Toyota's promotional money).

16. Electric Charge

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I didn't think I would ever be able to say that a Toyota would drop quicker in resale value than my old Ford Taurus, but my PiP has, almost $10k in 8 months.

My biggest mistake was assuming I wouldn't care about the EV part, I really wanted JUST a Prius, and the EV part was just a bonus. But now that I had my little sample of crack, I want more (damn you Toyota), so it's not like the car sucks, or is less of a car now, it isn't, it's a great car.

Just make sure you look at other EV options if you think there is a tiny chance you like crack ;)

17. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I love crack, but for me at least the range is almost ideal.

So are you guys saying you believe the prices in the New York region have a lot more to drop yet from where they currently are?

18. Electric Charge

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, I'm sure it's about as bad as it gets, now that Toyota knows what kind of demand there is for the PiP, plus the next gen PiP is in the pipeline.

If the PiP range is very close to what you need, then it's almost a no brainer. Just keep in mind the type of terrain, weather temps etc. Like I said, it's a great car, even as a regular hybrid, you'll see great performance (I average 60MPG), and it's a nice looking car. You are posting here BEFORE you are buying the car, so you are obviously a step ahead of most people, including myself.

19. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ya, I know the regular Gen3 hatchback frontwards on backwards and am even in the top 5 on the Top 20 MPG leaders. So, even when the EV is out, I know how to get the most of the hybrid. Very excited. Thank you guys for your help so far.

20. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four