1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Resale value of homes with solar panels...

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Jan 10, 2007.

1. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 13 2007, 11:05 AM) [snapback]375181[/snapback]</div>
    Except you never gain equity and have made no investment. Just payments. It totally makes sense to go PV if you can swing it. Given electricity rates in CA it's an even better idea.

Domestic NG production has already peaked and as usual the biggest reserves are in Asia and Russia. Getting the gas here will be expensive even without political tensions and the like.

2. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Jan 13 2007, 01:10 AM) [snapback]375076[/snapback]</div>
    That price range sounds a bit low. What kind of system is that? I suppose a passive direct system would be cheaper (mine is active indirect). My water heater alone was $800 (80 gal., stone lined, heat exchanger).

I haven't researched it lately, but a friend did say one of his friends had recently gotten a quote for $5000.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jan 10 2007, 06:38 PM) [snapback]373905[/snapback]</div>
    That's likely true, but without hope, where are we? :(

None at all, I'm afraid. I've run into what others mention here. Home builders and realestate folks who are 100% clueless of the benefits. Rarely do you find one that sees ANY benefit in using solar power. Of course these same people laugh at me for driving an EV, so what are you gonna do?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 11 2007, 07:35 PM) [snapback]374530[/snapback]</div>
    Most definitely. And you can't sell what you don't understand or value.

I hate to burst that bubble. While it isn't the *worst* it isn't the best either. There are so many confusing aspects about this thing that we're still trying to figure it out. The CEC is no longer putting up the rebates - now it is the utilities. And they have their own rules and paperwork. It is still a good time, but don't kid yourself into thinking it is best - at least financially. As far as I'm concerned, there's no better time to install PV than "last year." ;)

4. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Jan 13 2007, 03:05 PM) [snapback]375254[/snapback]</div>
    Here's one example. Mostly I've just googled. Hardly definitive but I've seen those numbers a couple of times. A friend of mine saw similar numbers but then got a quote for $10K for a house he's building up in the mountains. He was rather surprised by that but he never saw the specifics of the quote so it's hard to say what it was all about (his GC gave him that number).

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jan 14 2007, 02:10 AM) [snapback]375432[/snapback]</div>
    Well, since "last year" isn't an option I have to look towards my best option from now. I couldn't afford it before. I still can't now. But the balance of cost, what's available and the tax breaks have hit a balance for me. This is the year. It just get's worse from here.

6. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 14 2007, 07:51 PM) [snapback]375670[/snapback]</div>
    GIT 'ER DUN! Good luck with it Godiva.

7. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Jan 14 2007, 08:46 PM) [snapback]375646[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, "after federal & state rebates". So who knows how much it was to begin with. That makes a little more sense.

Mine has two solar collector panels. I've seen some with 6. I would think that would explain some cost difference, but otherwise I don't see why the cost should fluctuate too wildly from one installation to another (assuming similar components). You have a tank in the basement or utility closet. You have the collectors up on the roof. And you have pipes connecting the two, running up into the roof in the walls (or inside a closet in my case). I wonder what the $10K system included. It does sound like a lot.

I think the 30% reduction in elec. bills is a bit over-inflated, but who knows. And notice those who are raving about theirs are in FL and TX, where I'm sure it does quite well. Mine does not provide all my hot water, but it does a decent job in the summer (but nothing on cloudy days). It can certainly get it hot.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Trust me. When it gets done I'll share and there will be pictures.

But it will be a trial.

This year I am also:

finished my masters degree

going through national board certification

and currently getting my Prius fixed from being front-ended. I'm trying to rent a Prius for the two weeks mine will be in the shop.

9. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 12 2007, 10:12 PM) [snapback]375009[/snapback]</div>
    The panels are actually quite light for their size. And, there is very little water in the panels at a given time, so that doesn't add much to their weight.

Your location has a LOT to do with it. Since I live in the "Sunshine State", I was able to size my system much smaller than someone up North. But, the biggest thing that adds to the costs is whether you live in a zone that gets freezing temperatures. Since I do not, I was able to get an inexpensive (<$2000) system that simply recirculates my potable water from the electric water heater, up to the roof, and back again. Anyone who lives in a freezing climate must run glycol or some other antifreeze liquid, and have a heat exchanger to heat the potable water. With the 30% rebate, my system will only cost me $1400. It will take a LONG time for me to see payback for that, but I did it for 2 reasons:
    1) to reduce my monthly expenses, and act as a cushion against future electricity price increases (now at 12.5 cents/KwH)
    2) so I have warm showers when we are out of electricity. We lost power for up to 12 days after the recent hurricanes, so this is a nice "upgrade". Hopefully, there won't be a next time, but if there is I am ready. B)