1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Research Your Amazon Tire Purchase!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by charcuterie, Aug 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. charcuterie

charcuterie New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought a set of Bridgestone Ecopia 422Plus tires for my Gen 3 Prius the other day on Amazon. They were installed at Sears Auto in Torrance, CA. I was expecting something - anything - to go wrong. But I was pleasantly surprised that everything went not only awesome but quick. The tires make the car feel like a new ride. Quieter and better mileage.

Then I looked the tires up to register for the warranty and realized THERE IS NO WARRANTY. Why? Because Amazon is selling the tires in 195/65/R15 91H and 196/65/R15 89S. They're about the same price. I bought the 89S because the 91H was out of stock and the 89S is equal to what's on the car now. Even though Amazon advertises both as having a "70K mile limited treadwear warranty," the 89S is an OEM tire not meant to be purchased by direct consumers and does not have a warranty. The 91H does.

I should have done my research first. Caveat emptor and all that. But Amazon shouldn't have falsely advertised the warranty. They are refunding my installation fee and putting a notation in my account that the warranty will be honored by them. Not quite sure how that works but we'll see if it comes to that. It took me 5 years to hit 45K in my car so a 70K warranty will take me and the car into the retirement home.

Can't beat the convenience or the price on Amazon but keep your eyes open.

2. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've owned about 10 cars over about 40 years. Probably bought about 4 or 6 new tires each, on average.
    I've never made a warranty claim on any tire, ever.
    I have had about 5 flats...all caused by nails...all not covered. I had one side bubble (caused by bumping a curb).

I did get a new set of 4 tires on my gen 1 Prius. Toyota did a semi-recall, saying that the low rolling resistance tires were wearing out too soon and if your tread was less than some value before 20K miles they would replace.

Mike

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Beltaine-77

Beltaine-77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I have found the benefits of buying tires from a good local shop to far outweigh any kind of deal you can find online.

Last year I bought a set of 4 from the local shop, 6 months later I got a flat from a piece of road trash that couldn't be patched due to where the puncture was.

Without hesitation they replaced the tire with a more expensive tire (because that's what they had in stock in the right size) at zero cost to me. They didn't even try the old "prorated warranty" move I've seen people try. I'm definitely a repeat customer now.