1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reserved Hybrid Parking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Author, May 12, 2010.

1. Author

Author New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Encountered my first reserved hybrid parking spot this morning at the largest shopping complex east of Montreal.

But the enjoyment of slipping into this exclusive spot was short-lived when a passing driver, evidently frustrated in finding a spot in which to squeeze his full lift-kited Dodge Ram, gave me the finger.

Anyone have a similar experience with reserved hybrid parking?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I can see a point to 'plug in' parking, hybrid or EV

3. Author

Author New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it looks as though these spots, located near light masts, will eventually serve the plug-in crowd.

4. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have seen cars parked in spots reserved for EVs with chargers on the curb in a shopping center. They just ignore the sign. Unfortunately no tickets were issued.

5. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MEC has some.

6. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cops or city workers won't issue tickets in shopping parking lots...because it is private property! So reserved parking, for handicapped or pregnant women, cannot be enforced, unless it is public land.

That said, the IKEA in Montreal has all three kinds of reserved parking. Sometimes I'm lucky and can park in the hybrid spot - but usually they are taken up by community sharing cars.

7. Grueny

Grueny New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know I'm straying a bit off the intended Hybrid Parking topic, this just caught my eye.

I'm a little surprised that handicapped parking can't be enforced by police.

In Illinois, we are in a similar boat, most laws can not be enforced on private property without a written agreement with the property owner (which next to never happens). However, Illinois law allows for two exceptions. Police can go onto private property to enforce DUI and Handicapped Parking violations (heaven help you if you're drunk in a handicapped spot!)

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    IN the US the Handicap parking law is enforced no matter where it is.

But back to hybrid parking... we have many of those here in CA. I have one question: can I morally/legally park my non-hybrid EV in them? Because really...What's the point here? Shouldn't the signs read "hybrid or better?" And what constitutes a hybrid exactly? Remembe the GM Silverado? It had start/stop tech, and nothing more. Called itself a hybrid right on the badge there.

1 person likes this.
  9. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    More and more developers of new buildings are trying to attain a LEED accreditation for their projects. To attain this designation you need to accumulate a certain number of "points" for energy saving features and water saving features. One of the points I believe has to do with providing a certain number of green vehicle parking spaces and plug in spaces close to the front door. I am certain you will see more and more of those spaces as LEED accreditation expands to more projects.

TwoGeeks likes this.
  10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Morally, I think an EV is a Hybrid for recharging purposes. Legally, it is private property so it is between you and the owner.

LEED says alternative fueled vehicles, so you are golden there.
    http://www.usgbc.org/Docs/LEEDdocs/LEED_RS_v2-1.pdf
    (page 15 of PDF, page 7 of manual)

11. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a Whole Foods in Chicago that offers alternative fuel vehicle parking. So, people that have E85 cars can park there also. But, many times I see regular cars parking there. Oh well, I rather park farther and not close to cars to avoid door dings.

12. Friedpez

Friedpez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Markets, located mostly out West in California, Arizona, and Nevada, usually have reserved hybrid parking, but I have yet to find a location where the spots are closer to the entrance than the regular parking. The one here in Upland, CA has expectant mother and disabled parking as well.

13. oms2burn

oms2burn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I thought about suggesting hybrid parking at work (multi-level garage)...but also over-analyzed it to the point of deciding there should be preferential parking for gas-guzzlers so that they don't have as many levels to cycle through, wasting gas as they go! The world benefits if hybrids park on upper levels. Like I say...over-analyzed. Like exbauer says, less door dings...also more exercise!

14. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was part of the team that instituted preferential parking for carpoolers and fuel efficient vehicles. Second to the handicapped parking. We have a 5-building campus and a total of almost 60 spots.

People apply and get rear-view mirror placards.

For the carpoolers, it's self-policing. People have to apply and verify that they are part of a carpooling group (naming the participants). Those who are not in a carpool do not hesitate to call people out if they park in the reserved spot but didn't carpool that day.

For the fuel efficient vehicles, we chose to use the ratings from the American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy. Cars earning a score of 40 or higher qualify. This way, it's not some arbitrary designation up to argument. Of course, that doesn't stop some people.

Anyway, I snapped a picture. It might be hard to see the sign because I wanted to get the Prius. :cool:

Attached Files:

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    we have them here as well and i think its a mistake. hybrids should have lost their "golden" status a long time ago. we should be encouraging 100% EV's.

afaik; every spot taken from an EV is a crime and yes, since i own 2 hybrids, i am pissing in my backyard!! (i do have an EV too!!)

16. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't believe in preferential parking spots for hybrids, pregnant women, or parents with small children, or any condition that is self-imposed. Those are lifestyle choices. If you can walk the mall, you can walk the extra 150ft. I'd gladly give up a seat on a bus to the elderly or pregnant women, but to deny me the spot is what I have a problem with. It should be mine to give up.

Besides I'd rather not risk being keyed or dinged by some jealous hater. I'd rather park at the end for the rest of my life than getting keyed. Exercise is good.

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    a "lifestyle" choice for pregnancy, sure sometimes, but not always the case.

i suppose someone who is handicapped due to things like adult onset diabetes should be made to walk across the lot since its more likely than not, that their situation was brought on by their choice on how to live, what to eat?

i agree with EV, handicapped and pregnant woman parking. as far as parking for parents with small children; have not seen that one. i have a 3 YO and running him across the parking lot is my technique to wear him down a bit so he sits still in the store (marginally effective i am afraid as most parking lots around here are not big enough!!)

18. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Must be a Canada thing. I haven't seen those in the U.S., except alternative fuel/EV vehicle parking spots, but a hybrid isn't necessarily an alternative fuel/EV vehicle.

19. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If the reason is to get LEED certification, we can assume they will do the least, so I predict 110 volt chargers for EVs.

Employees with an 8 hour shift will see significant charging, but not a full charge. (if I am wrong and they install 220 volt charging stations, then employees will fully charge and be 'wasting' a space with their fully charged car) Customers shopping for a half hour will not get much improvement at all, just for show.

So the dedicated parking for EVs should be in the Employee stalls away from the store, not the customer stalls near the store. Some way to know that an EV is 'full' and to let employees go move them (they used to get smoke breaks, a politeness break should offered) would be ideal, but won't get them additional LEED points.

Electric Vehicle Charging Stations Products
    as an example offers to call the owner who is 'full', it should also inform users who are waiting.

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    as it stands now, i do opportunity charges that can be as little as 30 mins. not sure what benefit it provides as my Paktrker does not monitor the SOC when going back up. when i do a short charge, i will notice that the SOC stays at the same reading longer than normal.

but i do know that it helps. on many days, i would be dead in the water without the extra boosts. tuesday, i had loaded up with errands including preschool, doctor appts, and shopping. plugged in at 90 mins at home (full charge obtained) 30 mins out, about 75 mins out , and another plug in at home gaining a full charge in about an hour. would have been closer to 3 hours without the boosts away from home.

i think most people will not bother to do 30 min charges for stops at the store. i only do short ones only to show other people what i am doing (i get accused of driving a gas Smart Car daily despite the lime green ELECTRIC sign on my Zenn). but eventually when EV's mature, inductive charging, autobilling, etc will come about making a opportunity charge simply part of the driving experience that happens int he background