1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reset maintenance message?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bob goldstein, Dec 14, 2016.

1. bob goldstein

bob goldstein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    I have read page 353 in the owner's manual for my 2014 Prius C, but the procedure doesn't work. I have a smart key system. It says to set the display to the odometer (done), and the turn off the car, turn it on again, and press the Trip button 3 times, holding it down on the third time. Nothing happens. I still get the maintenance required message on my display whenever I start the car.

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yep that is very poorly written in the manual.
    I had the dealer show me and then made some notes in my book.......and it even took two of them to get it right.
    If nobody else provides the info I will fetch my book and see what my notes say.

3. bob goldstein

bob goldstein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I would greatly appreciate your help! Also a question. If I am going to get 000000 on my display, does that mean the car's odometer has been set to zero? That would be very unhelpful!

j12piprius likes this.
  4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From the destruction manual (p.365) for my 2009 Gen II: Resetting the engine oil maintenance data (USA only) Step 1. Turn the POWER switch to OFF mode with the odometer shown, Step 2. Turn the POWER switch to ON mode with the trip meter reset button (p.146) held down. Step 3. Keep pressing the button for longer than 5 seconds after the POWER switch is in the ON mode. When the odometer indicates "000000" and the light (engine maintenance) goes off, the system reset has completed.

I think the 000000 being displayed is just an indication that the maintenance interval (5000 miles?) has been reset. FWIW - I've noticed that the maintenance interval light comes on in my car anywhere between 4000 and 5000 miles after being reset. :confused: hope this helps - Wil
    BTW - Welcome to PriusChat!
    …and I think it might be rather illegal for the odometer to be reset each time the maint. interval was reset (…just a suspicion) ;)

5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    From memory, this sounds right but I will confirm from my notes when I get the time.
    Or you could just try it.
    The 00000 does NOT reset any of the ODO readings.

6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Here are the things I found important when I had this trouble:

Cross OUT the parts of step 1 and 2 that refer to "without a smart key" so they don't confuse matters.

In step 2, you achieve the ON mode by pushing the power button TWICE without your foot on the brake.

Then you need to have a finger on the TRIP button because it must be pushed 3 times and held on the 3rd while that initial screen is displayed.

The timing is critical. I think it took me 3 or 4 tries to get it right......even after I figured out the steps required.

Good luck. If all else fails, take it to a dealer.

7. Baby c

Baby c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You need to push the trip reset button 3x while the screen is solid blue.

8. prius_nerd

prius_nerd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My owner's manual for my 2008 Prius was incorrect, as were instructions found in most places online.

What worked for me was this:

Reset the maintenance reminder light on your 2008 Toyota Prius:
    1. Leaving your foot OFF the brake, press the Power button twice (2X) to turn the car on.
    2. Using the ODO button below the multi-function display, press to cycle through and stop on the ODO reading (not on Trip A or Trip B).
    3. Press the Power button once to power your Prius down.
    4. Press and hold down the ODO button, continuing to hold it until instructed below.
    5. Leaving your foot OFF the brake, press the Power button twice (2X), and continue to hold the ODO button down.
    6. Wait for the flashing dashes to disappear and your ODO reading to reappear, and then you can release the ODO button.
    Congratulations! You've successfully reset the maintenance reminder light on your Toyota Prius.

9. gscully

gscully Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Baby C is correct and this thread should be a sticky. Thank you Baby