1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reset "permanent" p0102

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by elsie321, Sep 22, 2020.

1. elsie321

elsie321 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    TL;DR does anyone know the specific test drive to reset the p0102 permanent code?

I was working on my car the other week and when I was done, I forgot to plug the mass air flow sensor back in. Of course the check engine light turned on, but I had put the car in maintenance mode when working on it, and a stated byproduct of maintenance mode is that the check engine light may turn on, so I ignored it.

I took it for a test drive and after realizing that I could not reset the check engine light, I figured out the problem and plugged the mass airflow sensor back in.

But now I'm suck with this permanent error. I'm pretty sure that it is supposed to go away by itself after a certain amount of time or number of miles operating properly. But I also seem to recall that there is a very specific test drive that you can do to immediately reset it. Does any one know what exactly that procedure is?

Thanks!

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did the same thing. I used techstream to reset it, but it came back. After driving it a short
    distance, stoping, and starting it, driving it went away. It didn't take long.
    I believe the computer needs to read that it's working correctly, long enough to clear the code.

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    How did you reset it in Techstream? I did the normal Monitor erase, and I still have the code. Like the OP, I had forgotten to plug the MAP sensor back in. The Czech Engine light is off, but Techstream still sees the error. I drove 150 miles last night as an Uber Driver since I ran the engine with the unplugged MAP sensor, and the code is still there.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    An existing thread on this issue is this one.

There should be a real resolution if ever someone comes along who actually knows what's missing from the published confirmation driving pattern in the repair manual. Until then it's poking at a black box.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looks like Elektroingenieur found it ... key steps are in the 2011 manual but didn't make it into 2010. I don't have that permanent code anymore. (y)

6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    it was so long ago... Of course I connected the connector, then used techstream to clear it,
    then drove it a few miles and checked it again.... it was gone.
    Best I can remember. I know it wasn't hard. I think the computer needs to read the suspect sensor
    several times to determin it's functioning corretly.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The permanent code is cleared as soon as the corresponding monitor runs, completes, and has a normal result.

Doing a code clear resets all monitors to incomplete, and thereby arranges for the monitor to run again as soon as its preconditions are met.

The "confirmation driving pattern" in the manual, for the specific code in question, is supposed to hit all the necessary preconditions so the monitor will run and produce a result.

The wrinkle with the P0102 is that there are more preconditions for the monitor to run than are mentioned in the 2010 Gen 3 repair manual. Elektroingenieur found the missing steps added in the 2011 manual.

It turned out that in the whole year I could never get that code to reset, it was because the monitor never ran, because the kind of driving I did during the pandemic never met all the preconditions for the monitor to run.

As soon as I did a drive that met all the necessary conditions, the monitor completed, logged a normal result, and the permanent code went away.

The necessary conditions can be found at the link above.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In a (metric) nutshell: bring speed to 80 (kmh), then floor it, till you’re a bit over 100, and hold speed for 5 sec min.

I could do that on a straight stretch of the Barnet (limit 80), on a quiet Sunday morn.