1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Resetting Error Codes and Turning Off Red Triangle of Death

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Terry Tampa Bay, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Terry Tampa Bay

Terry Tampa Bay New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm rebuilding the traction battery on my 2006 Gen II Prius. When completed, I'd like to erase any "error codes" that should be erased (I don't even know where these might be), and turn off the red triangle of death, the VSC light, the (!) idiot light, the engine check light and the maintenance required light. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You need a mini-VCI cable to read and reset the codes via TechStream.

3. Terry Tampa Bay

Terry Tampa Bay New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. Yes, I have the cable and a computer with TechStream sitting on the passenger seat of my Prius. I presume you are suggesting that I can reset everything with that program? I have not been able to find where/how to do it. Pointers? Thanks!

4. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When you first log into techstream and connect to the vehicle, you'll see a column of buttons on the left side. Click the health check button to retrieve the codes. You'll get a screen that lists all the codes present. Look down at the bottom toward the right and click the blue icon that looks like an engine with an eraser on it. It will ask if you want to save data before clearing. I'm going from memory. Sorry, my laptop is not handy right now to take a picture of.

5. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wouldn't disconnecting the 12V aux battery for 60+ seconds do this? That is how I do it :)

Uberjoy likes this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That would not work for DTC logged by the skid control or SRS ECUs. The OP says the VSC light is on so the skid control ECU logged at least one DTC.

The MAINT REQD light is based upon an odometer timer that turns the light on solid at 5K miles. That can be reset easily via a dashboard button - there are many posts about how to do that.

jeff652 likes this.
  7. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ahh, Yes. I knew that was the case for the SRS, missed that in the OPs comments. Did not know about the skid control ECU though, good info!

8. ciro ochoa

ciro ochoa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I dont know were to even start brake light never goes off, red triangle now is on all the time along with abs, vsc, check engine the skidding car one , any tips on were to start 08 prius , Thank you

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    start by reading the trouble codes with toyota tech stream, and post them in a new thread here.

jerrymildred likes this.