1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

resetting fuel gauge inclination sensor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by FLPrius05, Jun 22, 2018.

1. FLPrius05

FLPrius05 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    Been searching these posts for weeks for a solution for my bad gas gauge and came across this:

Press the ODO/trip button to turn the odometer to trip A Step 3: Turn off the ignition and set the parking brake.Step 4across this on this site:
    I have been searching for weeks about my bad fuel gauge, and have read many posts from people with the same problem. They've pretty much been told, nothing you can do.
    Then I came LEVEL SURFACE!!!! If you are on a slope you will reset the sensor to an incorrect level!!Step 2: P
    PARK ON A : DO NOT STEP ON THE BRAKE PEDAL! AT ALL! IT ISN"T NEEDED FOR THIS PROCEDURE!!Step 5: Press and hold the ODO/trip button and press the Power button twice.Step 6: Release and press the ODO/trip button three timesRelease-Press-Release-Press-Release-Press and HOLD.The Odometer on the combo meter should now be showing the normal mileage, as you hold the ODO/trip button down, the reading should change. Something along the lines of 650D0 or similar. The actual figures don't reallymatter.Step 7: Release and press the ODO/trip botton once more and HOLD it in. The figure will change again. This time, only ONE digit will change. 650D0>65010 as an example.

Well, I tried it and now all the indicator lights are on on the dash...smh.
    1.) Did it really work for any of you, and did I just do it wrong?
    2.) And here's what I need to know :

When the tank looks and sounds empty(the fuel bell chiming) I get gas and can only pump 4 or 5 gallons into the tank....Am I topping off (and the tank was half full still) and I'm adding the last 4 or 5 gallons?...
    or was it really empty and I'm adding the first 4 or 5 gallons?
    Because if it's the former, I don't really need to get gas yet, and I could track my mileage instead (say, 500 gallons per tank) and only get gas every 500 miles or so....
    and if the former, how how do I disconnect the 'get fuel" bell? Because driving 250 miles with that dinging will drive me insane!!
    If the latter, I guess I just have to get gas every 4 or 5 gallons :(
    Thanks, Laura

2. FLPrius05

FLPrius05 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    (Fyi, I tried copying the inclination instructions and added it in my post, but I guess this site doesn't work real well on a phone, and it got all jumbled up so I removed it)

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm. Does your post mean this:

1. Chiefly, you're having an issue where the filling nozzle shuts off after only 4 or 5 gallons when the fuel gauge suggests the tank is empty, and

2. in passing, you happen to have tried the inclinometer reset procedure and something went wonky and left a bunch of lights on the dash?

If the original issue was (1), I would be looking into something around the filler neck / fuel cutoff valve area.

I guess now you might also have to solve (2), which I know less about.

The illustration below is from one of the Toyota technician training courses; those are available for download on techinfo.toyota.com, the same place one goes for the repair manuals. The repair manual should give the complete, correct procedure for inclinometer resetting, in case you were following a procedure from the interwebs and something was a little off (that never happens, of course!).

-Chap

fcv.png

SFO, ITBland and Ray Moore like this.
  4. FLPrius05

FLPrius05 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All I'm trying to find out is this -

When I can only get 4 gallons in even though gauge says I'm empty,
    Do I only have 4 gallons of gas when it shuts off,
    or am I topping off and I have a full tank?

That's what I mean by, am I adding the FIRST or the LAST 4 gallons?

Less is more sometimes :)

#4 FLPrius05, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm afraid there's no direct way to know that. Either possibility could be true, and either possibility would mean something wasn't working right.

You could be adding the FIRST four gallons, which would mean you must have a problem around the fuel cutoff valve or associated tubing, making the nozzle shut off when the tank ls less than half full.

You could be adding the LAST four gallons, which would mean you must have a problem with the fuel gauge or sender unit, telling you the tank is empty when it's more than half full.

If everything in your car were working right, NEITHER of those things would be happening, and you wouldn't have your question.

That much is clear, but none of us across the internet without access to your car could tell you which of those two problems you have. Do you see why it's hard to tell?

One definitive way would be to open the fuel line and jumper the fuel pump to run until it's all pumped out. Then you know it's empty, and check what the fuel gauge says, and see what happens with the filler nozzle when you fill it up.

Another way (riskier!) is to do the old keep-squeezing-the-nozzle-till-fuel-overflows bit (still some people's crazy normal habit!) one time while filling up, and that'll tell you if you were in fact putting in the LAST gallons because it will quickly rise up the neck. But don't do that. I say riskier because you've got expensive evaporation control components down there that can get fuel-flooded if you do that, and have to be replaced. A safer approach might be to disconnect the lines for those, then try topping off, so any overflow won't go into the wrong things. Some study of the diagrams would be needed to know what to disconnect where.

Any collision work toward the rear of the car that you know of?

-Chap

6. FLPrius05

FLPrius05 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, Chap. Well, I guess my only 2 choices are - get gas every 4 gallons or have a new fuel tank installed. Neither is very appealing :(

7. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't know how the rubber bladder changes the equation but the next time it's down near empty is it possible to try siphoning what's left in the tank into a 5 gallon gas can? That will tell you how much gas is really left in the tank.

8. FLPrius05

FLPrius05 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for trying to help, but since I'm a 64-year-old woman, siphoning is not something I'd ever attempt, lol

wallin2 and Wanda R. like this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Siphoning would be sort of another way of going about the same test I suggested in #5, which was to open the line to the engine into a container and run the car's fuel pump until the tank is empty. The name of the game either way is to answer your so-far unanswered question, how much fuel is really in there?

I would rate the approach using the fuel pump to be less uncertain: there are a lot of variables in trying to siphon from a tank you've never siphoned from before. When the flow stops, is that because the fuel's out, or you didn't get the hose end where it needed to be? You start with one unanswered question and end up with two. The fuel pump will pump down to the same level every time.

If you aren't personally comfortable with siphoning, you won't be personally comfortable with opening lines and activating pumps either, but you can find people who do that sort of thing for a living; it shouldn't cost much, and would answer the question.

I don't see that as anything but a false choice between two things you know you don't want. The middle road would be to just find out what's wrong, and get that fixed. It could turn out (I don't know, but it could) to be the part I pictured in #3. Lists for $114, less at discount, a sixth the cost of the fuel tank and a lot less labor (not to mention infinitely more productive to change, if it's the problem and the tank isn't! :))

But the best way to decide what to change isn't by comparing prices but by finding out what isn't working. It's looking like to get it fixed, you would have to pay somebody for some work. But it wouldn't necessarily be a giant expense.

-Chap

10. FLPrius05

FLPrius05 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. Yiye

Yiye New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    This is what worked for me. Disconnect both terminals of the aux battery and touch the end of the cable together for 5 seconds. Re-connect the cables. This will recalibrate everything in your car.