1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Resetting Transmission adptive memory Gen II

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SWprius08, Oct 21, 2015.

1. SWprius08

SWprius08 SoCalprius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello All,
    I am interested in resetting transmission adaptive memory, am almost at 100K miles. Does anyone have instructions to do that? I have the Mini-VCI but did not find any options on the software. I had read somewhere that someone was able to rest the memory through Mini-VCI. Would removing the wire harness from the transmission ECU (below the glove compartment) for few minutes and then reconnecting it back again do it?I found these below instructions from one of BMW's forums and the author claims that these instructions will work for any car that has adaptive transmission. Can anyone knowledgeable with Prius validate this?

"Works with any car that has Driver Adaptive Electronic Controlled Transmission.

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.
    2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter turns over. BMW: press start button – foot off brake - all idiot lights on.
    3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position. BMW: All idiot lights on.
    4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off position". BMW: foot off brake press start button - all idiot lights now off (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
    5. Wait a full 2 minutes for a full electronic alignment. Don't remove the key.
    6. Start engine, drive the car, notice the difference."

Resetting the Adaptive Driver Memory for the Automatic Transmission - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

2. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Im curious what effects would this have on the car?

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I may be mistaken, but I don't believe the transaxle in the Prius is a "adaptive" one like you are asking about. A google search does reveal that certain Rav 4 units have/had those types of transmissions. I also see where Bimmers have them.

Like I said, I may be mistaken. I am sure other's here will chime in eventually.

Best of luck to you

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Me too! Me too! Me too!:)

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are no instructions because this is not a Prius feature. If you want to reset the settings currently in the engine and hybrid vehicle ECUs, simply disconnect the 12V battery for a few minutes.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is an interesting subject. i have never noticed the tranny 'adapting' to my driving style in any of my 3 pri.
    and my gas mileage has never improved from day one. what else is there?

7. SWprius08

SWprius08 SoCalprius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is interesting. I have read it in several places that learns the driving habits from the driver and adapts that way, I was even told this by the sales before I purchased the 2008 model. I had even asked about this to the service advisor once and he quoted me $ 250 for doing that. Of course based on these informations I assumed that it must be the transmission doing this learning and adapting. The reason why I thought about this is because I noticed that after my wife drives the car for few days it acts a little differently (although nothing bad), so I just wanted to play with the memory and see what difference it makes.