1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Resetting works for a little while, but should I just bite the bullet on a new battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Tayder314, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Tayder314

Tayder314 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi folks, I’m looking for a little bit of advice here. I’m pretty sure I need a new hybrid battery. My 2010 Prius is at 180,000 miles and my check hybrid system light comes on regularly every day. If I pull up my scanner app I can reset or clear the fault and it seems like the battery works again, but then it just stops working so I’m pretty positive the battery is going bad.

Can somebody with more knowledge about batteries tell me why it seems to work sometimes, but then just stops until I clear the fault? What is going to happen if I just keep clearing it, will the battery gets worse and worse?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Keep your eye on temperature of battery pack, as that's the limit on how often you can clear the warning lights and keep driving. Once it gets super hot, you'll have more expensive hassles.

As for repair, from least expensive to most expensive we can walk you through DIY module replacement & reconditioning, replace the pack with used rebuilt w/warranty, Lithium Upgrade pack or OEM pack...

If you want to improve MPG and have better AC in summer and travel much further in EV mode you'll want to buy a Lithium Upgrade pack. If you use my affiliate link I can offer you unlimited tech support: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

#2 PriusCamper, Feb 22, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
    Tayder314 likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try Dr Prius app (works good with Carista BlueTooth OBD dongle), see what it thinks.

Just the static test, you get a display that looks like this:

729FC636-FE1E-468E-AE95-9C661CDB0888.jpeg

Tayder314 likes this.
  4. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What app are you using, and what are the trouble codes shown in the app.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    By the way, if you've done this over and over and not yet written down what trouble code you are resetting when you reset it, that would be worth doing the next time, and then you can post here with what the code is.

You might be right in guessing it's about the battery, but they aren't all, and that's a very basic first thing to check.

Tayder314 likes this.
  6. Tayder314

Tayder314 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i’m waiting on a new reader to come in the mail that works with the Dr. Prius app but here’s what my current fault code is. F42CCFE8-258B-4C18-8F22-ACF42EB7E64E.png

Thank you for your help!