1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Resolved Prius Issue - Check, VSC, (!), Red Triangle Light On

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ZitterZap, Mar 7, 2011.

1. ZitterZap

ZitterZap Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I was driving my Prius to New Orleans for Mardi Gras weekend when the Check, VSC, (!), Red Triangle (Master Warning Light) comes on. The cruise control stops working too.
    Baah there goes my trip to Mardi Gras.

I pull over, checked all coolants etc and restart the car and the Check and Red Triangle light still stays on. Thinking it is a minor sensor problem as the driving and engine felt fine I continued driving. After 15 minutes I feel a loss of power so I pull over and call AAA.
    After doing a lot of research and diagnosis over the weekend I figured out that the the inverter cooling pump is not working. The liquid doesn't have any ripples on it and I can hear no sound on the IG-ON mode.

Just 25 days ago recall work was performed on the Prius which included replacing the inverter cooling pump. And I figure out that they might have forgot a nut or a bolt while fitting the new pump.

So this monday morning it was cold and I took my chances of driving the Prius to the dealership which was 8 miles away. I keep the hood open a bit to let air in for cooling. And I as soon as I reach the dealership I opened the hood and checked the temperature on HSD. It didn't even feel that it had gained any heat. Went to work and got a call from the dealer that the dealership which did the recall work forgot to hookup something which gave the problem.
    They fixed it and charged me nothing. Not even diagnosis fee.

Bottom line. I drove 279 miles in the last 2 weeks with this fault in the inverter cooling pump and the problem only showed when I was on a long trip which allowed the inverter to heat up.

Inverter stays cool hmmm....impressed.

1 person likes this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hence, in the past, Prius owners typically would find out their car had a bad inverter coolant pump in the summer months, when ambient temps are higher and the cars are out for extended drives.

You could be driving all winter on a short commute with a dead inverter coolant pump, and not realize it.

2 people like this.