1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Resource explaining trim levels for Gen 4 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by PointCounterPt, Dec 23, 2023.

1. PointCounterPt

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone just totaled my beloved 2005 Prius yesterday. I had put about 2K in preventative maintenance this past summer, as well as new Michelin Defenders (July) and a high end Pioneer head unit (Jan 2022) that was both wired and wireless CP and AA. I'm devastated as buying a car was not on my horizon.

That said, I'm starting to do research on a Gen 4 but I'm very confused by the options and trim levels. Does anyone know of a website, or other resource, that explains all of this? Is there anything obvious that I need to know about considering a Gen 4, i.e. like the EGR issue on Gen 3 cars?

Also, have any of you ever bought from Todd Thompson at Tampa Hybrids? If so was it a good experience? Were you able to negotiate price at all?

Any advice is much appreciated!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This site has sales brochures from cars of yesteryear, which typically list the levels/features:

Auto-Brochures | home

4th gen EGR should be fine; Toyota learned on the backs of gen 3 owners. 4th gen issues:

1. Exhaust Heat Recover system can start leaking coolant

Hmm, that might be it, lol.

PianoBench likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We bought the 2016 Three Touring (first year gen 4) new. Still going strong eight model years later with 76K miles only. Year-round MPG average is 57-58. Goes up in the summer, down in the winter because ICE runs more for cabin heat. Only maintenance has been annual/10K mile oil changes, air filters, tires.

For me, the model Three Touring was the sweet spot of the models available at launch. Reasons: (1) 17-inch wheels look better, (2) leatherette seating surfaces wear better, (3) dynamic cruise control is amazing in traffic, (4) lithium-ion traction battery performs better than nickel metal hydride, (5) comes with a donut spare tire instead of fix flat kit, (6) model Four/Four Touring had unnecessary bells and whistles. Of course Toyota changed the model designations after a few years to match their other product lines.

So, if any of this makes sense to you, try and find a model with these features, no matter what they call them now.

5. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    The early Gen 4’s had some issues with the heat exchanger leaking that was fixed through a redesign in late 2019. By the 2021 and 2022 models (maybe even the 2020’s) the Gen 4’s were being described as having met a level that Toyota would find hard to beat. I’ve got ‘22 XLE Nightshade Edition which I’m guessing is equivalent to Model Three Touring (minus the spare) and find the trim level to have plenty of bells and whistles to make us feel comfortable and safe.
    After seeing the new 2023’s, I’m very glad we didn’t wait. Only thing I regret was not getting the Prime since it seems Toyota is dragging its feet on an EV.

MPGesus likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just to clarify, that’s exhaust heat exchanger. Coolant level dropping in reservoir, and steamy exhaust, are symptoms.

OP inadvertently started a second thread, hopefully the other can be blended with this, since it has more response. Reported.

the other:

G3 - Things to know, info about trim levels, etc. | PriusChat

#6 Mendel Leisk, Dec 24, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2023