1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Restoring Alloy Wheels...or replace

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by C Clay, Dec 2, 2012.

1. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Any recommendations anyone can give on restoring these wheels corroded from either ten years of driving in the snow (or someone screwing them up trying to remove salt/road stuff from ten years in the snow).

I'm a newbie- didnt know if it was okay to replace them with a cheap aftermarket wheel at a tire warehouse?[​IMG]

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think they are worth restoring because nice wheels can be purchased fairly cheap ($200-$600). The cost of trying to restore them could be greater.

Look for used Prius wheels as replacements. Wheels from an GenII or GenIII (2004-2012) will fit. The 2012 black wheels sell for around $200-$500 with tires! Check eBay as well. The GenII 15" wheels are cheap.

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just noticed that the wheel pictured is a 14" wheel. Do you own a classic Prius (2000-2003)?

4. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I figured when I saw the 4 lugs. So disregard my earlier advice about used 2004-2012 wheels as they will not fit your car. If you can find a nice set from a wheel store you can use those. Just make sure the width and offset are as close as possible to the factory numbers.

6. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. Didn't know if it would ruin the synergy of the vehicle lol

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you keep the specs the same then you'll be fine. Get rid of those Cooper tires too. They are not very fuel efficient. :) A good replacement tire would be the Michelin Defender. Get them when they are on sale with a $70 rebate. They are semi-fuel efficient and they should last a really long time. :)

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You can get wheels for as low as $72 each at discounttiredirect, with free shipping, or tirerack from $73, but you'd need to pay for shipping....

9. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    C Clay,
    Just to let you know, I have attempted to restore those wheels on 2 separate occasions. On both occasions, I finished one wheel and gave up. It is a lot of work and it is so hard to get to all the areas. Only the small wire brush for a Dremel tool can get to some of the places and they disentigrate very quickly. My advice is, just deal with what you got. You'll be a lot happier.

10. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Professional restoration places can blast the wheels with walnut shells and clean em up but it takes tire removal and remount and it isn't cheap. On another car 4 years ago $100 a wheel for an aluminum wheel and repaint. And yours would have to be sealed.

11. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354668380.585679.jpg for 79 bucks each this looks a while lot better!

12. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I agree. Used to live not too far from you, (I think,) in Seven Hills. One winter and my '04 Sienna wheels looked pretty bad. I didn't try but maybe wheel wax would help. (I did try those rust proofing places like Ziebart...)

13. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ah seven hills- not far from my place of work at the big card company. Where you a Prius driver here? If so, where's a reputable place to for service? This car was a two owner car originally purchased in Mentor Ohio- always lived its life in Mentor or a brief stint in Alaska- I'm surprised its not a rust bucket!

14. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Wow, cool. I remember seeing the greeting card building, but I forgot the name. (I had to search it up.) I forget why I would go over to Tiedeman. I think there was a Sam's Club there. A couple of other things too, (I think I remember a Cracker Barrel. And maybe an h.h.Gregg warehouse where we picked up a TV. ) My family was supposed to be there for 2 yrs as my wife was training at Metro Health, but I left with our son one year early because we were having issues. That was back in 2008. I wish I could tell you a good place for service. I didn't have a Prius then. I remember taking the Sienna to a dealer somewhere off Brookpark. It was Metro Toyota now that I looked it up. (I remember them because they had good prices on Navigation DVDs. I even ordered one while I was here in CA from them.) I try to do as much as I can on my own. Service manuals are available from Toyota if you are so inclined. I am glad to hear that it is not a rust bucket! I remember seeing rusty holes in some cars'/trucks' rear quarter panels!!!