1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Result from earlier "Prius Service: Often & Extra Costs" posting....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Nda3rdCar, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

:D

The forum had a lot of good suggestions. I ended up trying a dealership, some distance from my home, suggested by a Prius driving co-worker. There must be a half dozen dealerships closer to my home, but I took the car to Bob Smith Toyota in La Crescenta for the service. With an appointment, I went there Saturday afternoon. They did the work outlined in the "Prius Service Passport" and it ran $114+change (tax included).
    A smaller dealership, but very friendly and they did the service in the time they said it would take. I really liked the place and everyone was very professional.

This cost was way below what two other dealerships quoted. In the case of Santa Monica Toyota, they were going to replace transmission fluid and do other service that is not required until 60K. Costs would have gone well over $200.

It really pays to shop around for serivce. I don't have a private garage to change my own oil and such. I did that for years with other cars I've owned and prefer to not crawl under cars anymore.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to my earlier post.... - Nda3rdcar

2. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just reference your Prius Service Passport that came with your vehicle manuals. It clearly states what service is recommended at each mileage interval, and it has a space for a dealer's stamp to prove that you've done the service (in case you sell the car and want to prove maintenance.)
    You'll find that the dealer recommends service that may not be necessary until 100K miles or more.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nda3rdCar @ Jul 19 2007, 10:00 AM) [snapback]481556[/snapback]</div>
    see, it's crap like that prompted DH and me to put together the "services you need" thread. glad to see you've put yourself in charge by shopping around ;)

4. 07blkprius

07blkprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    2007 toyota prius, 79,000 miles, VSC, ABS warning light stays on constantly, took in to Dealer since NO one in the area able to take care my problem.

I was shocked when Crown Toyota at Ontario, California want $795.00+ for FRONT Brake job, including bleeding, change the seals, pads and diagnostic. Pick up this Friday, Sept 10, 2010, will post the invoice online as soon as I get it on hand.

Dealer representative told me that DEALER will have to overhaul both FRONT side of the brakes even they knew is a very minor easy fix problem. It is the liability that dealer don't want to deal with later on.

if brake job costs $795+, anything else will be even more costly when they need services.

Sept 11, 2010 follow up, 2007 Toyota Prius Gen II Completed Front Brake job costs at Dealer.
    Dealer invoices attached, Paid $560 labor cost on the brake job, Parts costs 180.90, Sales Tax $15.83, Total costs on this brake overhaul $756.73

Attached Files:

5. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the BRAKE warning light show up?

If not, then it may be as simple as an inverter pump failure or a failing 12v battery.

6. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Maybe they are making up the lease deal they give to the 2010 Prius by hiking up the service department price. :rolleyes: