1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Results: Prius vs Jetta

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bwilson4web, Apr 3, 2009.

?
  1. Now I don't even want to go near one.

10 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. No real interest based upon these stunts.

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  3. Jetta is just another vehicle in the market.

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Jetta may have some advantages.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jetta looks to be worth a test drive and possible purchase.

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I'm wondering if anyone has changed their mind about the merits of a Prius verus a Jetta after the recent stunts:

• 7,000 mile GreenHuman stunt
    • Visit lower 48 states Jetta TDI "Guiness Book of Records"
    • "Top Gear" transplants a Jetta TDI into a 1981 Rabbit
    In my case, I'm less impressed with the Jetta because it has been insulting. The "Green" drivers assumed we're all eco-nuts who can be fooled by claiming "green" and an automatic transmission is "an option." The Jetta TDI tour was silly because all it takes for a "Guiness Record" is to fill out the form and pay the fee. Worse, the "Top Gear" transplant suggests the current Jetta body is a mileage disaster.

Has anyone found something of value in these stunts that makes the Jetta appealing? I've made the poll anonymous so folks can post what they feel without being held up to criticism. It is a short, 7 day poll.

Bob Wilson

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your poll doesn't really poll whether we've changed our minds and is pretty bias in the way you ask the questions.

As far as the stunt itself, I think it's pretty lame, unfair, clearly designed to let the Jetta shine, etc. In that regard it diminishes my respect for VW and doesn't change my opinion about the car.

That said, it's still a good car and a etter choice for some people than the Prius.

3. The Tramp

The Tramp Italian Prius Expert

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I came from a Jetta and I'm not hoing back. Not even with a jetta Hybrid. :-D

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm always open to suggestions and improvements and would have no problem with this poll being 'frozen' or deleted and a better one started. My question is whether or not the three Jetta TDI stunts have had any success in changing minds in the Prius community. Obviously such a poll might have more commercial merit in non-Prius communities but each stunt would have to be explained, again. I'm just curious if they had any effect in our community.

The only flaw I could see was asking the most negative question first but I'm not sure that reordering them would make it better. But I'm willing to take suggestions or corrections or even a substitute poll.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's the same old anti-hybrid nonsense I've been writing about for years, only this time with video.

Thankfully, the test-drive experience reveals that many of their claims made don't hold water. It's amazing how they think that people won't notice the mismatch.

With so many Prius already on the road and a bunch of the new model joining in, even stunts like that are going to have a hard time attracting attention.

6. Tenebre

Tenebre Custom User Title

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the current Jetta is a lot heavier than the 1981 Golf / Rabbit so better mileage in the lighter old car is not surprising. But the Jetta is also a lot safer, a lot roomier, a lot more comfortable and has better handling.

Between the old Rabbit / Golf and the new Jetta, I'd definatley choose the Jetta.

7. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's try to distinguish the car from the marketing hype, please. They are completely unrelated. I thought the beauty of the internet was that we could ignore the green flunky crew and make buying decisions based on facts?

8. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Please take my comments as more phegmatic than they may seem.
    Ordinarily I would agree but sometimes the presentation destroys the message. Had they plotted something like MPH vs MPG for the Jetta TDI and the Prius, I would have felt much better about the effort. Had they included the fuel receipts, again, I would have felt much better. Had they made even the most rudimentary attempt to present both sets of vehicles and their relative performance, I would have and could have respected the effort.
    SPAM that comes in supporting widows, orphans, and charities receive the same treatment as SPAM supporting sex sites, pharmacuiticals and other nonsense. The freedom of the Internet also comes with the sociopaths of SPAM and the Nigerian offers of millions of dollars. Sad to say but GreenHuman brought the same quality of service as SPAM today. They really don't get it.

The GreenHuman video interviews were no better than the informercials that have turned late-night cable into a wasteland. Engineering is not based upon an opinion poll or personal views but upon hard facts and data. They wasted six weeks, at least two drivers, and over $500 to bring us nothing but a little harmless fun.

GreenHumans are free to ignore the poll results and all of our comments. Sociopaths are notorious for being free from consideration of others ... it is the signature by which they are known. But not everyone has that freedom of concious.

So consider what would happen if the results of this poll and our comments were sent to VW USA and VW Germany? Perhaps, just perhaps, they might take another look at these stunts and realize that maybe, just maybe, they want to get away from BS 'head-to-head' Prius stunts and go back to vehicle basics.

I loved the VW "unpimp your ride" series. They had humor and were genuinely entertaining. But these last stunts have been unmitigated disasters. We have five days remaining but preliminary data suggests they have alienated Prius drivers. I notice the VW dealer lots are not filling up with 'trade-in' Prius.

Bob Wilson

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Taylor's 48 state tour brought the TDI to my attention, but it was viewed through the filter of Gerdes and crew. Now I am interested in diesels, as a replacement for a Suby. I will look at the TDIs, in spite of GreenAstroturfHumanJohn, but can wait up to five years for Subaru to bring its models across the pond. Have never seen Top Gear.

My interest in hybrids is for a different car slot in my household, to replace an ancient Accord hatchback. If the Civic IMA was offered in a hatchback, I'd already have it. That slot will go to one of this spring's new offerings, and Prius remains the leading choice.

11. Guy in WNY

Guy in WNY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The "Unpimp your ride?" series was a HOOT! Three of the funniest car ads I'd seen in a long time.