1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Resurrecting Record Turntable

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Patrick Wong, Jul 24, 2010.

1. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Out of curiosity, what happens if the source record has some 'skips'? In the old days, you lifted the needle for a moment and then let it down and hoped that the time the needle was lifted was sufficient to get past the skip area.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This afternoon I received the phono preamp referenced in my OP. It delivers a good signal to my receiver, around the same level as the DVD player provides.

Comfortable listening volume is at -30 db to -25 db. At that volume setting I do not hear any hum or noise coming from the preamp. When I turn up the volume to 0 db I hear very slight noise and no hum. Therefore the AC power supply is sufficiently filtered for my purposes.

Thanks to all for their comments.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep. My dad and step-mother had an old Edison cylinder player and a very small collection of cylinders. Audio quality was not great.

Before that, music was recorded on punched paper rolls or accordion-folded stiff paper, and played back in player pianos or organs of the sort used by organ grinders. At the Nickelodeon Museum in Revelstoke there is a full-size church organ that can be played conventionally on its keyboard, or played from a paper roll. Such paper rolls accurately reproduce the playing of the musician who cut the original by playing on a piano or organ designed for the job.

I own a hand-cranked street organ that plays paper rolls. It was built for me, but in the style of the old instruments and is entirely hand-operated. The crank turns the spool that draws the paper over the suction-operated "reader," and at the same time operates the bellows that provides both suction for the reader/player mechanism, and air for the pipes. Such instruments pre-dated even the Edison cylinder players, though mine is new.

I cut that Gordian knot by losing all my old LPs when I moved from CA to ND. Actually, I think I stored them at my mother's house, and they got lost when she moved. But they were all badly scratched anyway, since I am a klutz. CDs are far more robust.

4. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a Thorens TD 165 belt drive turntable. I hooked it up to my PC using an LKG solid state preamplifier PRE600. I bought that at Fry's for a small amount of money (it had to be less than $60.)

I works fine on my PC, and I imagine it would work well on a stereo system. The belt still works, and the cartridge still works. However, a replacement belt would be $25 last time I checked.

I have transferred some music to my PC, but it does take a fair amount of work to identify the tracks and clean the signal (remove clicks, etc.)