1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Retaining Voice Guided Nav and factory Bluetooth with aftermarket HU

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Paul Slomba, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Paul Slomba

Paul Slomba Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hello Everyone!
    I have a 2008 Prius with JBL Nav Bluetooth

After all day of researching this forum, I haven't been able to find the answer I was looking for. :(

I recently installed a Pumpkin Double Din Android Stereo, using the Axxess TYTO and a Metra 70-8114
    Everything works great except there is no volume when trying to use Bluetooth and there is no volume for the Nav (also the answer/hangup phone, voice and mode buttons don't work). Climate works fine as I used a resistor. Volume and seek buttons work from getting programmed in the Android Stereo.

I'm wishing to retain the factory bluetooth as the aftermarket bluetooth microphone doesn't compare to factory sound quality. I would also like to have the voice guided navigation working as backup.

It seems as though something is not routing the sound into the front and center speaker for the bluetooth and nav.

I was going to experiment with partially reconnecting the old stereo to try to get the sound back but I am not sure if there was maybe a better way or an interface to use for this. I am almost wondering if there is maybe some pins that could be connected from the extra plug was not used to reconnect the sound to the bluetooth and nav?

If anyone has any input I would be very grateful. :)
    My end goal is to use the android headunit for music and wifi entertainment
    and retained the factory features of Bluetooth and voice-guided navigation.

2. Paul Slomba

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Or if there is a simple way to just wire sound into the bluetooth? (MFD)

3. Rhoobarb2005

Rhoobarb2005 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    IIRC you don't need the Metra 70-8114 for an android head unit as you can manually program the buttons yourself on the head unit. Maybe try without the 70-8114?

You should also be able to splice into the factory microphone and use that as a mic in (depending on which Pumpkin HU you bought)

4. Paul Slomba

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Factory Microphone is powered from what I read and the Android HU uses a passive microphone connection.

I tried to leave the factory stereo plugged, only with ground, signal and constant wired in along with that last connector for the steering wheel control, but still no sound from bluetooth or nav.

Its weird as the two bluetooth output wires from the MFD run to the AMP and then the white and red wire run from the amp to the center speaker but still no sound. It almost as if the AX-TYTO incorrectly interfaces it. I am considering using the output wires from the MFD and putting in some kind of digital to analog line out converter and connecting the center speaker.

I read on the Axxess website that the AD-BOX1 and AD-BOX2 are supposed to retain factory Bluetooth and nav sound.

5. Paul Slomba

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Confirmed with Axxess that their AD-BOX1 will not work with Bluetooth.

Found a product that does the job PAC AP4-TY11 its $250 but says it retains all steering, Bluetooth and navigation. I read the instructions and they the kit utilizes the two wires outputs from the MFD into the interface.

6. Paul Slomba

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The PAC AP4-TY11 was unsuccessful. I am going to now try disconnecting all the speakers from the JBL except center speaker. I am going to wire them to the aftermarket stereo and leave both stereos connected.

7. Paul Slomba

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Spoke with PAC and they confirmed that their RadioPro RP4.2-TY1 will work with the Prius JBL Nav Bluetooth. It retains factory functions.

I went the route of leaving the factory stereo plugged in and behind the Android HU (disconnected the cd changer) Then I wired constant, ground and ignition to Android HU from the Factory stereo. It ended up having just enough space to fit behind the android. I pulled the speaker wires out of the amp harness and ran them from under the seat through the center under the carpet up the center console.

Everything works now how I wanted it to. Have my Android HU for my wifi entertainment and google maps. Have my factory nav as back up and able to use the factory Bluetooth which is 10x better and clear than the Android Bluetooth mic

PAUL SCHULTZ and davecook89t like this.