1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RetroFit OEM Fog Lights to house TRS Projector Beams

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by goodtimes, Feb 19, 2012.

1. goodtimes

goodtimes my future is righteousness

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thought I share my little project that I've been working on for the past couple weeks…
    I basically tore apart my stock OEM fog lights and stuffed the 5000K HID projector beams from The Retrofit Source inside the OEM housing…
    I hope you guys enjoy! and thanks for looking in advance...

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  2. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Very nice. I go a projector lens off ebay (I don't have the OEM fog lights) and have to do some adjusting on them to get the beam right. I would much prefer to do things this way, but $120 for the fog lights, plus about the same for the TRS kit just seems a bit overboard at this point for me with costs.

Could you post the link to the TRS product you used?

1 person likes this.
  3. swaggingprius

swaggingprius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why did you put into the oven? How long and what temp?

This is a mod I have been craving.

Did you also retrofit your regular headlights?

1 person likes this.
  4. goodtimes

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just did a search on TRS (The Retrofit Source) website & could not locate the kit at all... It seems they no longer carry the Blazer Projector Fog Lights. It's weird, I just purchased these this past December. You could always call...

Here'a a link on what I found on the TRS Blazer Projector Fog Lights...

http://www.google.com/search?q=the+...AQ&biw=768&bih=866&sei=_RdBT5-MEKnYiAKHpNCqAQ

Here's a link to eBay for a Toyota Yaris fog light kit for only $40. They fit identical to our gen3. It's also glass not plastic. I actually bought these as a back up & just ended up using them once i saw how good they looked & also after i test fitted them. They are spot on! 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Yari...is&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a15fc123b#ht_2504wt_1206

1 person likes this.
  5. goodtimes

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No, I didn't retrofit my regular headlights. I just upgraded & added a TRS
    5000k Morimoto Elite HID KIT, w/ a heavy duty relay... I believe it's an 80amp. 1 for each headlight...

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3955

I baked each fog light at 265 degrees from 7-17 minutes... Or just basically until the rubber seal was able to loosen it's grip from the glass lens...
    First one took a couple try's at various baked times. The longer I baked really helped soften the rubber silicon seal.
    Also you may want to have a razor blade handy to help cut through between the housing & lens to help separate to get one side going... Have a good pair of leather gloves. Sh@# is hot!

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like these intense mods! :)

I was going to mention the only downside would be you wouldn't be able to adjust the beam but it looks like they fell right into place, eh?

Good job!

1 person likes this.
  7. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You did exactly what I have been thinking about doing for my Prius II. My only concern was the high heat those blazers give off, per what the HIDplanet retrofit forums have experienced. Folks have been heat sinking the outside of those to try to cool them down a bit.

Keep on eye on them for frosting inside.
    The beam shots look really nice. Great job.

1 person likes this.
  8. swaggingprius

swaggingprius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any chance you can build a set of these bad boys for me and I can cover the expenses and your time?

1 person likes this.
  9. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So the kit I got off ebay kind of sucks (big shock, eh?). I'm going to get the Yaris kit on eBay and retro-fit like you did yours. TRS still sells the Blazer kit, but they're not in stock right now. They have them en-route though.

1 person likes this.
  10. goodtimes

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Aye Swagg,
    Sorry for the very late response. I haven't been on here since I posted the last time.
    And yes there is a good possibility that you could actually have my own 1st set that I just built.
    I plan on upgrading and redoing a new set for myself again and you could have these that are already done. Only after i have completed a new set of course....
    So far so good. No frost or problems as of yet. They do give high heat, exactly what rrg said. But no frost. Maybe because I only use them during the evening only for an hour or 2 at a time and haven't drove in the rain yet.
    I don't have a set time when I plan on building a new set. So please bare with me. My wife & I have our hands full with our newborn and 18 month daughter as well.
    So build off will be a little time I could spare here and there...

Other than that, I hope everybody is doing well & thanks to everybody here with the great input and advice.. I just love the F@$?&! Out of my Beautiful White Knight

Joe H and SSPigboat like this.
  11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dude,
    It appears you replaced you turn signals with LEDs... what bulb did you get and are you happy with them?

1 person likes this.
  12. goodtimes

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sweet! The only advice I could tell you is take your time and measure twice and twice after that.... Try the (heat sink) also. I did more research after RRG suggested it. It will help reduce heat. So far without the heat sink, my fogs are holding up very well without frost..

13. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did it come with a heat sink? I wonder if you could make them look OK without putting the front cover back on the yaris fogs? That might help reduce heat build up? I won't order anything until TRS gets the kit back in, though.

14. goodtimes

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I got the 30 smd LEDs xenon white (no name brand) from TRS. It was a special order they got from another vendor to try out before they actually stock them.

They are very nice but, i didnt like the white xenon blinkers anymore... So, I just replaced them as of yesterday with some iJDMTOY amber error free bulbs.

I really like these iJDMTOY bulbs a lot. Help solve the fast flickering and looks a lot more stock when signaling. Very bright but, pricey @ $45. It does come with the plug n play error free set up...

7440 Error Free LED Bulbs | Turn Signal Lights, Backup Lights

2 people like this.
  15. goodtimes

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No heat sink was supplied. And what front cover are you talking about? The lens itself or the oem yaris cover?

16. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  17. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The OEM Yaris cover. Sorry, I should have been more clear - that's what I get for posting at work :)

18. goodtimes

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes. Great quality! Nice and clear...

1 person likes this.
  19. goodtimes

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yaa I'm not sure how they would fit in place...

I thought about even just putting those blazer lights as is. Just trying to figure out how to construct a bracket to hold and position them in place without using any fog housing. Then you wouldn't need to worry about frost or the headache of building a retrofit fog. It's very time consuming... But, I guess that's the love bug we have for modifying..

You could also attach a nice shroud to the blazer. I tried but, wouldn't fit in the fogs housing...

Just a thought

20. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wondered about mounting the blazer straight, but it wouldn't be as cosmetically pleasing I don't think. I had the bling lights before, and just didn't like that type of look. What I'm thinking, is if the blazers are good enough and strong enough to be mounted solely on their own, why even put the Yaris cover back onto the housing? It's just held on with adhesive, so it's not essential to the projector itself. I'd imagine a little cleaning up of the housing, maybe some high-heat paint, and you've got an OK looking setup, no? I think a shroud around the fogs would be too much, IMO.