1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Retrofitting LED Headlamps- Worth it?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Kit Shah, Nov 22, 2012.

?

LED headlamps?

Poll closed Dec 6, 2012.
  1. Stick with the normal ones and get brighter bulbs

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Find a pair of LED headlamps because they're amazing.

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Kit Shah

Kit Shah Kit Shah

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have recently purchased a base model PiP, and I did not select the Advanced package due to the fact I wanted a cheap-ish, economical, and technologically advanced DD, and I figured that an extra $7525 for all those features was unnecessary. However, the LED headlamps from the Advanced package look appealing, and I was wondering if they perform much better than the standard headlamps. If they are, then I would like to retrofit a pair.

So tell me, is the improvement worth going through the trouble of finding a pair of LED headlamps, retrofitting them, and possibly damaging the car in the process?

2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, the LED headlamps out perform the halogen headlights. It's like a night & day difference.

There really isn't much retro fitting involved other that the wiring. Installing a set of LED headlights will not cause any type of damage to ur PIP

Kit Shah likes this.
  3. Kit Shah

Kit Shah Kit Shah

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I see. Thanks for the info and the quick reply!

4. Big Dude

Big Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I bought an Advanced, though the headlights were not a factor in my decision. That having been said, I was really impressed on my 900 mile drive home from the dealer-most at night-with the stunning quality of the lights. Never have I seen the road so well and the lights did not seem to blind oncoming drivers. Putting the lights on high beam is startling experience for the first time. Really lights up the place and you can see the difference in the colors of the beams. I am constantly and pleasantly surprised by the new things I find/learn about this car. A Thanksgiving blessing.

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would put in order of lumens (brightness) HID, LED, and then halogen. Like you, I was disappointed I couldn't get LED headlights in my base model. I would've gladly given up the heated seats for it. I looked into LED headlights and the costs were exhorbitant. Do a search, there is a guy on here who did it. We're talking thousands if dollars. I got A $50 HID kit on Amazon instead. Higher light output plus one thing I never considered. LED's don't get hot, which is why they are so efficient. Problem is that snow can cover up the headlights. Halogen and HID would just melt the snow away.

6. Big Dude

Big Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That is probably why the Advanced model includes headlight washers with the package. I suspect that it is SOP to put deicing fluid in the washer fluid holder. Now it makes sense. Thought that was just a useless bell or whistle.

7. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bino did this swap on his gen3 as did another member with a Prius C......both of them used JDM LED headlights.

Expect to pay over $1000 for the lights.........then theres the cost of the LED ballsts for each headlight

8. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Wow, $1K? Well, there's another piece of the $7k puzzle solved.

9. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    See also LED headlight mod for base PIP? | PriusChat
    The headlight assemblies alone are about $600 retail each. The two ballasts are something like $150 for the two of them, I believe.
    Basically, until these cars start getting wrecked, it's pretty damn expensive.

10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm willing to bet our regular old halogen headlights don't cost much less either. I mean, there's just an extra projector in the LED headlights. I'm going with the Apple theory. It costs apple next to nothing for the 32gb iphone over the 16gb iphone. There are people willing to pay the higher costs for more memory. So why not make more money profit on those people and then less on the base model so you can advertise a lower price point?

11. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    LED low-beam headlamps with dynamic auto-leveling and headlamp washers$1,215 [32]

...from lexus.com for ct200h

12. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Seems crazy when you can buy 2000+ lumen flashlights for $250 that outshines any halogen headlight by a longshot. Those things have to use drivers to step up the voltage from your typical 1.2V batteries, regulate the output as the voltage drops along with the discharge state of the battery, and they have reflectors and anti-reflective optical glass.