1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Returning to the fold... maybe

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Hoddie, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Hoddie

Hoddie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a quick refresh, my wife had triplets back in 2017 and we kept our Prius for a few months until we had to trade up to a Hilux in order to carry the triple pram with us. Well, we're finally at the point where we can ditch the triple pram and return to a more 'normal' family car.

It's interesting to note the details of the mid-cycle refresh for the Prius but there's nothing extraordinary there. And it's not even available in Belgium yet, nor will the AWD version be available here either (at least, that's what the dealer said though he did admit to not being 100% about this). It's expected here from beginning of April.

What is available right now is the Corolla Touring Sports Premium (hybrid), which is similarly priced to a Prius Lounge, both of which are the top-spec models. The Corolla is slightly cheaper but doesn't have quite as good fuel economy. It does have next-gen adaptive Cruise Control which gives the vehicle immediately in front less attention if you're signalling to change lane. I used the Prius' aCC a LOT and this sounds like a great improvement. The dealer says the new 2019 Prius keeps the older adaptive Cruise Control.

Now, apart from our 12-months in the Hilux, we've had a Prius since 2006, and we've been looking forward to returning to it as soon as possible. But my head has been turned by the Corolla.

I hate buying new cars...!

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might want to check out the width of the Corolla rear seat - I had a quick look and it didn't impress me as being anything like as big as my PRIUS. Check which you can fit 3 child seats across? But - optical illusions can be deceiving.

Merkey likes this.
  3. Hoddie

Hoddie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the heads up, it's certainly on my list. But very few cars fit three child seats in the back in Europe, something to do with stricter safety standards I suppose. We have a third-party solution which sits atop the seats and holds three babies/kids. It's 1.23m (about 48.5 inches) across and I do need to check this.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Corolla Touring Sports looks really nice and the materials appear to be quite good. The large boot space will be more useful than the Prius (less of a sloping rear window). The Corolla does have the next gen (TSS-P 2.0 in the US) which includes low light pedestrian detection and daytime bicyclist detection. The LDW now includes Lane Trace Assist which can help the car around corners by following the car in front or the lane markings. As far as I know, the radar cruise is the same as your 2016 Prius.

Note that there IS a difference in ACC functionality between the automatic and manual transmission Corolla if you go with the gasoline option. Hybrid models will retain the same functionality as you remembered from your 2016 Prius.

#4 Tideland Prius, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Hoddie and alanclarkeau like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    triplets, and you came out the other side unscathed?(y)

Hoddie and alanclarkeau like this.
  6. Hoddie

Hoddie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for that, it really helps.

Barely :)

bisco, Raytheeagle and alanclarkeau like this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oops I meant to say "low light pedestrian detection and daytime bicyclist detection." Daytime pedestrian detection is already available in the first generation of Toyota Safety Sense.

alanclarkeau likes this.