1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reuse question

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Aug 20, 2011.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When getting rid of your stuff is it better to
    1. Donate to charity
    2. Give to friend or colleague.
    3. Give away on free craigslist.

With 1. you presume that the goods will be given or sold to needy people, but you have to actually go to the local charity(salvation army) and drop it off. Yes you can schedule someone to come pick it up, but they might not come for a few days or weeks before their truck is scheduled for your area.

With 2. you're giving it to someone you know. But sometimes if if someone is offered something free, they'll just take it without the thought if they're actually going to use it or just store it to collect dust.

With 3. you're dealing with motivated people(ie. checking the internet or phone every10-15 minutes). They'll come to your house within 1-2 hours or whatever is convenient for you. They'll take anything(my salvation army would not take my bed brackets). But you don' know if they are just middlemen who are going to sell on ebay. I record all the people I've given to so I won't give to them again if other people are wanting my stuff.

2. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    From a fuel/energy standpoint it's best to give the item to your friend or colleague. You can schedule the exchange while you are already together, thus extra fuel/energy is not being used.

The other options will use fuel for the sole purpose of delivering/receiving the item.

3. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    From a fuel POV then yes. But I try to weigh in the need and use. If the fuel issue is not accounted for, I'd prefer that the person who needs it the most gets it. This is stuff that we're talking about, not food and clothes. That goes to charity. The question is, what constitutes need? Someone who's going to use it a lot? Someone who's poor but uses the item occasionally?

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you give it to a charity thrift store, there's a multiplier effect. They get some cash for their charitable activities, and the item still gets reused.

edit: Our local thrift store happens to be pretty close, and we try to combine it with a trip to the recycling centre, along with another stop on the way home. The additional gas use is hardly worth the time to calculate.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Give it to people on craigslist. The salvation army is a church run business, they will never receive my goods. Goodwill is independent from any religious ties so I sometimes give there. They do help out trying to find jobs for the homeless and such so it is a good organization, but the stuff I have to give isn't really useful for that purpose. I don't have clothes and business suites, mostly "stuff".

Mostly I just put up an ad on craigslist saying it is free and on the curb. Gone in hours usually.

6. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't mind giving it to the church if they in fact they give/sell it to the needy. If some of those dollars flow to the church, so be it. I give blood at church blood runs. There's not many options that are close by and open on 7AM in Sunday mornings. I like craigslist too, but leaving it out the curb might get multiple people coming out there unnecessarily.

7. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We give all our re-usables to the VA. They come and pick everything up. Some items they give to vets living in need, and the rest they sell in their store and use the proceeds to benefit vets, too. It's a win-win for the vets.

8. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'd say there are two competing issues.

One is how much fossil fuel/time you need to expend to be rid of the items.

The second is the value-in-use of the items once re-used. I mean, taking a useful item, and sticking it in somebody else's garage, that's not exactly coming ahead, socially.

On the second issue, without doubt, the best approach is to give used items to an organization for resale. If you believe in markets, to that extent.

On net, if they know their business, your donee will sell your donation at a low-but-reasonable price, and the buyer won't bother to acquire it unless he or she intends to use it. So it'll go to somebody who'll appreciate it.

My shorthand: To an economist, free is a four-letter-word.

On the fossil-fuels thing, my solution (as my family did today) is to take the donation to the store on the day you want to shop the store. It's entertainment, it's family values, it's environmental values, its (pardon the phrase) basic Christian values ... all wrapped up in one sloppy trip to the local vendor. Which in our case is Unique thrift store, which is just one heck-of-a-well-run outfit. http://www.yelp.com/biz/unique-thrift-store-falls-church

Dropped off (mainly) a bunch of things the kids had outgrown. Scored numerous half-price T-shirts @ about $2/each, plus some cooking stuff.

Honestly, even given that their raw material is free, it is worth the price to patronize Unique purely for their clearing-house function. I'm not talking charity here, I'm talking paying a reasonable price for the excellent service they provide. I'm just talking about the efficiency of a market over one-to-one transactions..

It is more efficient, for me, to have somebody say "here's 300 T-shirts from across the region, pick what you like" than to take pot luck with some any one-on-one transaction. Even if free.

Anyway. There's a reason marketplaces exist. My suggestion is two-fold. Donate it to a marketplace, and, as long as you're there, patronize that marketplace lavishly.

I'm a well-to-do American by most objective standards. And when any item comes up, for our needs, the first place I think of shopping for it is my local big thrift store, Unique. Compared to shopping at the mall, it's (fill-in-the-blank) ... cheaper, more environmentally sound, more fun - you name it -- to shop at Unique. We can't buy everything there (couldn't find a suit to fit, for example), but it's a reasonable place for a lot of goods.

Edit, aside: Took my kids to Potomac Mills, last month, to let them see what Malls are really like. Like an anthropology field trip ... before malls go extinct. Potomac Mills is a mega-mega-mall, in Woodbridge, VA. We'd described it, but the kids couldn't believe it 'till we'd walked the length of it. My son said, I finally get Wall-E (the movie). Yeah. My kids don't get most of my environmental blather, but shopping-for-entertainment, they got.