1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Reuters report on used car market

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by wjtracy, Jul 8, 2017.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's make a deal: Automakers, U.S. auctions align to prop up used car prices | Reuters

Says in U.S. that lots of used sedans coming off lease. So this is managed closely by auto manufacturers. Some things going on include lots of trucks on the highways moving used vehicles around to the best markets, etc. to try to maximize used car values/profits and protect the new car market. Holding some used cars off used market longer to control supply. etc.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    From the article:
    Personal experience:
    • December 2014 - $53k, 2014 BMW i3-REx, loaded - leased in Charlottesville VA
    • May 2016 - $29.9k, 2014 BMW i3-REx, 6440 mi, sold in Charlotte NC, 272 miles. I drove it 463 miles to Huntsville AL.
    • July 2017 - waiting on a slow-leak, tire repair ($0 charge,) introduced another customer to the sales lady and a well equipped 2014 BMW-i3 REx listed for $23k in the lot. Went along for a quick test drive around the lot.
    Moving used cars around to where the dealers can get the best price works for me. But it also means there is the lease delay before the car reaches the right market.

BTW, that is how we got our first, 2003 Prius, driving it 800 miles back to Huntsville. Our new 2017 Prius Prime took a 1,200 mile road trip from the dealer. ... Hummm! Is there a pattern here? Oh yeah, Southeastern Toyota in two out of three cases.

Bob Wilson

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Carmax in Laurel MD for this NC Toyota buyer to avoid the SE Toyota add-ons and mandated admin fees. So the next time I went to my dealer I made sure they knew I knew what others would charge me and asked that they make it worth my while not to catch a train north which for me (a retiree from that area) isn't a big deal. I don't demand the best deal, just don't insult me.

By the way I've heard you can ask for a car without the SET add-ons even in the SE territory. It has to be special ordered.