1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reverend Ted Haggard

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by EricGo, Nov 3, 2006.

1. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Here's the 'official' reply to this disgrace from his church:

The farther up you are, the more you are a target for Satan."

ummm, I think they used that same excuse while defending Clinton's indiscretion. N'est pas?

Hypocrites run rampant in all walks of life, just more 'believable' since they are channeling the word of god. NOT

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Nov 4 2006, 08:22 PM) [snapback]343947[/snapback]</div>
    I don't expect my President to display the same moral high ground and exemplary lifestyle as I expect from a religious leader. Personally, I don't care how many women the president bonks as long as he's not selling state secrets and is reasonably competent at his WORK. And no one has any business asking the president of the United States about his sex life. He should not have to answer to that to anyone but his wife in the privacy of his bedroom. Fini.

But adultery is directly connected to a pastor's work. Following the ten commandments IS his job. This is NOT a "do as I say, not as I do" job.

Comparisons between the two situations are ludicrous.

I fully expect the Haggard to take the GOP excuse route and enter rehab. (The alcohol made me do it.)

Mark Foley did it.

Bob Nye did it.

Not sure what Don Sherwood may do.

Haggard so far has followed the Randy "Duke" Cunningham route. First, deny everything with sincerity. Then, admit only what can be proven with an explaination, albeit a ridiculous one....with sincerity. If Haggard has any integrity left, he'll eventually pull a Cunningham, and admit everything in tears, apologize profusely and seek forgiveness. Probably wearing a hair shirt.

But because the media is so "liberal" we'll still be reading about how John Kerry couldn't correctly read his copy.

3. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 5 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]344155[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, you're right.

It's non-sensible to even have this debate, but there is a mind-set hereabouts that hates Clinton so much they have to bring his name up even in a non-political scandal such as this.

Typical right wing bombast.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 5 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]344155[/snapback]</div>
    I actually expect a pretty low standard from religious leaders, since they are in the business of selling something that does not exist, and which you pay for in cash while you are alive, but you supposedly collect after you are dead, when nobody can come back and demand their money back because the promised merchandise does not exist.

I actually know some very good and honest religious leaders. They never cease to surprise me. Folks like Haggard do not surprise me.

A character in the book The Good Soldier Schweik is a Jewish athiest Catholic priest, who comments what a great job it is to be the representative of someone who does not exist.

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Nov 5 2006, 10:27 AM) [snapback]344115[/snapback]</div>
    And there we have it . . . the widest stroke of the intolerance brush. <_<

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 5 2006, 01:57 PM) [snapback]344155[/snapback]</div>
    Well, what do you know...he did.

Haggard confesses after he's fired.

It doesn't say what he's wearing, though.

7. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 5 2006, 06:57 PM) [snapback]344251[/snapback]</div>
    You perhaps misunderstand. I am not calling all christians hypocrites (although they are certainly a dime a dozen), but I am delighted to see some truth come out.

8. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 5 2006, 05:48 AM) [snapback]344044[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately, I had heard of him before this incident. He was on Meet the Press at least once, on Dateline NBC at least once, and a coupla other news shows.

Some of the things he said were great; however, when he talked about homosexuality being a sin, and preaching that kind of rhetoric, his goodness waned in my eyes. And then this happened.

I for one would never ridicule anyone for leading a moralistic lifestyle (even though morality is subjective). In fact, I applaud it. I would, however, point out hypocrisy. And that's what this is.

And you talk about Clinton. The big difference here is that Clinton was not a spiritual leader who spoke against adultery at length, or tried to get a constitutional amendment that would make people who engage in oral sex unable to get married. This guy spoke against homosexuality (and I'm sure drugs, even though I haven't seen that) and has worked hard with Dubya et al. to change both the Federal and State constitutions to outlaw gay marriage.

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Nov 5 2006, 07:51 PM) [snapback]344341[/snapback]</div>
    OK John Kerry. :rolleyes:

Was it a joke gone bad?

Did you misspeak?

Did you not know the definition of “one and all†is “everyone.â€

No, just like John Kerry, I think your true colors showed through.

Come clean . . . . you are a Christianphobe biggot, aren't you? <_<
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Nov 5 2006, 09:27 AM) [snapback]344115[/snapback]</div>

10. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 5 2006, 06:52 PM) [snapback]344250[/snapback]</div>
    Does the wind exist? I can not see it. I can see the effects of the wind, but I can not see the wind.

Because I can not see God, does not mean to me. at least. that God does not exist.

I am also not for one who works for God, to get paid for it. If one is truly called to this life, this life of sacrifice and caring for others, then one must assume one's needs will be taken care of. For the Bible makes this clear:

Luke 10, verses around chapter 10, verses 4 up..
    “Travel light. Like, all you need is a comb and toothbrush and no extra luggage. When you enter a home, greet the family, ‘Peace.’ If your greeting is received, then it’s a good place to stay. But if it’s not received, take it back and get out. Don’t impose yourself.
    Stay at one home, taking your meals there, for a worker deserves three square meals. Don’t move from house to house, looking for the best cook in town.
    When you enter a town and are received, eat what they set before you, heal anyone who is sick, and tell them, ‘God’s kingdom is right on your doorstep!’

I have done what I do, preaching, for over 10 years. I have worked at a lot of churches. I have never once got paid for this. I have received gifts, from time to time, but only once did that mean money.

I would hope I never get paid for what I do. Once you accept money, when you feel you are being called by God to preach, then you are beholden to those who pay your way. You feel like you better do what they say, or they will 'fire' you. Sort of like a real 'job'. If you tick off your boss, you can expect to possibly be fired.

Working for God, my reward is heaven. Not here on earth. And that's why I am not afraid to say what I say. That Christ does not hate. That Christ would love everyone, not just those in church. That Christ Himself was about shaking up the status quo.

I'm the sort of preacher that corrupt preachers don't like, since I tell it like it should be. I speak against the insane, man made idea of the tithe. I speak against people taking Christ, and using Him as a reason to hate, to wage war. Man, Christ was a peace loving hippy, with long hair. He hung out with the worst people of the time, and would today.

Frankly, Christ would not care if you got His message or not. As long as you listened, and then made up your mind. Not just reject it willy nilly.

Free will, that is what Christ was about. Free to choose what you want to do with your life. Free to accept, free to reject. It's not too difficult.

At least for me.

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Nov 7 2006, 01:45 AM) [snapback]344885[/snapback]</div>
    You are one of the few, and for that I deeply respect you. You preach the Christian message, which is a humanistic message of peace and brotherhood. How many preachers do not exhort their flocks to give money (perhaps calling it a "necessary evil," like war)? How many preach in the open air so that all the money collected can go immediately to the poor, rather than into building the most glorious church building they can manage? For that matter, how many exhort their flocks to give their money directly to the poor instead of to the church?

As for god and the wind:

Yes, we can see the effects of the wind when it makes the leaves sway, when it pushes a sailboat through the water, or when it tears the roofs off of houses.

Yet god is not only invisible, but undetectable as well. Any effect anyone may choose to ascribe to god can be more plausibly ascribed to other causes. So-called "acts of god" are usually the result of wind, precipitation, or plate tectonics. Little acts of human kindness, or massive acts of cruelty spring from the human heart, not from god. There has never been a "miracle" that has not turned out to have a natural cause, or else be simple coincidence or happenstance. People who believe in god see god in ordinary things, just as believers in UFOs see UFOs in every light in the sky.

On the other hand, the belief in god divides nation from nation and allows angry people to deny responsibility for their violent actions, by claiming that they are the elect of god, doing god's will, and that their enemy is an agent of the devil. The belief in god allows greedy people to destroy the environment in their mad quest for wealth, arguing either that god has granted them permission, or that the end of the world is at hand, so there's no reason to leave resources buried for a generation that will never come.

God is a fantasy, and the belief in this fantasy is one of the worst things that could possibly have befallen the human race.

12. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 7 2006, 03:02 AM) [snapback]344873[/snapback]</div>
    Yawn.

Thanks for the comparison to John Kerry though. I have no where near his courage or intelligence, but I am certainly closer to him that the average republican chickenhawk coward.

13. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Does GOD have an exit strategy for this reality show that has been going on for 2000 years. It only took 3 days to raise from the dead. Ratings are falling off...6 to 8 billion of us on the planet...something has to give. :(

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(huskers @ Nov 7 2006, 07:59 AM) [snapback]344985[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe god pulled out after Cain slew Abel, and everything since then has been a video game that Lucifer is playing with Beelzebub.

15. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pogo @ Nov 4 2006, 08:53 PM) [snapback]343915[/snapback]</div>
    Christianity, DUH!