1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reverse beep frustrations!

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Philthy166, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Philthy166

Philthy166 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Can someone smarter than I am explain to me how the reverse beep inside the car is a safety concern?

I just got my first service done at the dealership and they told me they can’t turn the constant beep off because of safety concerns? That seems like total BS to me. It’s more of a distraction than anything else! I know it’s been done elsewhere so why all of a sudden is it a safety concern when I want it shut off? I’d rather not spend all the money for a couple gadgets just to shut it off myself...

Anyone have any other ideas of how to do it?

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The dealer can set it to just a single beep but not turn it off. It’s in the manual under configurable settings.

KCWhitney and jerrymildred like this.
  3. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My dealer turned it off completely. Also the driver's side seatbelt nagger.

4. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There is a scanguage Xguage you can configure to turn the reverse beep off, or there's a way to do it with Carista if you have some way (laptop/iPhone/Android phone and OBD connector) to connect to the onboard CAN bus.

5. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Here's the Scanguage code, if you have access to one of those. It worked in our 2017 Prime Advanced, much to the delight of my wife,

Actually the Gen 2 codes worked for me in the 2017 gen 4.
    Got the Prius under a car cover today, but if these don't work, I'll check the one in the ScanGauge because it does work. Here they are...

TXD: 07c03bac40 (change the last 40 to 00 if you want to re-enable it.)
    RXF: 047b15ac0000
    RXD: 2008
    MTH: 000100010000

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the reason it is there (safety concern) is because of the unconventional shifter. toyota believes some people are likely to move the shifter upward, thinking it makes more sense to them. then releasing the brake will back over someone.

in fact, we have had many members here question why up isn't forward over the year. especially on gen3, where the shifter is more vertical. (mounted on the more horizontal slope of the bridge.

#6 bisco, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    HyperStryker and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I figure if you can't notice the backup camera video screen popping up when you shift to reverse you have bigger issues to deal with :rolleyes:

mveras1972, Tyfly and bisco like this.
  8. Llamaguy

Llamaguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Prius tweak and a cheap OBD2 dongle can turn off the beeping if you have an Android phone. If you have an iPhone or don't have a dongle already, you'll need to order the Carista dongle and use the free trial for $20. Takes less than 2 minutes.

Prius Tweak - Apps on Google Play

triggerhappy007 and HyperStryker like this.
  9. Philthy166

Philthy166 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That’s my problem. I was at the dealer. They said they can’t change it over safety concerns. Wouldn’t do it. Not even to the single beep.

I understand the shifter is unconventional, and I understand a beep to signify I’m actually in reverse. But a, single, one beep should suffice. Not a constant beeping the entire time I’m in reverse. Drives me nuts.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I’m buying a dongle!

#9 Philthy166, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2018
  10. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Is there another dealer nearby you could try?

Pdog808 and EyePrime like this.
  11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Back in the depths of time....

US regulators were concerned that the Prius does not Clunk when you put it in Reverse, and the shift lever goes back to the Center, it does not stay at R. They pressured Toyota to add a mechanical clunk noise for what is an electronic function. The beeping and blinking R placated the Regulators so Toyota did not have to find a way to make something clunk.

12. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    It may not do much, but I’d suggest a complaint to Toyota Motor North America. Their dealers are able, and should be willing, to change any of the customizable parameters listed in the Owner’s Manual (PDF), of which the reverse warning buzzer—as @schja01 kindly mentioned—is one; see pages 732, 734, and 737.

KCWhitney likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The inside-the-car beeping is "supposed" to remind you you're in reverse. I can see the reason for it, the aforementioned return-to-center shifter, that's basically mute, as to what gear you're in. Yeah you can look up a the dash, see that "R" is highlighted, but all this is so easy to overlook, in the heat of the moment.

With a traditional mechanical automatic shift, you have physical/tactile cues, that work. This lab rat never got confused with that system. But with the Prius shifter, I've run out fingers on one hand now, enumerating the number of times I've momentarily lost track that I'm in Reverse, not Drive. And that's with the continuous warning beep. For me at least, it doesn't connect the dots: yeah I hear a beep, but it doesn't sink in.

So far I've been lucky, haven't backed into anything, over anyone's feet. Yet... Maybe a need a little computer voice saying repeatedly "You're in reverse..., you're in reverse..., you're in reverse".

HyperStryker and bisco like this.
  14. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It amazes (well maybe not) there is always a litany of users who complain just about anything safety related (seat belt warning, reverse warning). Knowing firsthand someone who took out a baby and stroller when he was in reverse and didn't know it I, for one, am happy it's there. If I was an insurance company and found a car owner disabled a warning and that contributed to an accident I would deny the claim. Same goes for motorcyclists who refuse to wear helmets (just because).
    Here in Illinois I (the driver) can be ticketed if passengers don't wear seat belts. The nag serves a good purpose IMO.
    J

Dudley1030 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When I went in for my first service at the dealer I knew (from this forum) that it could be changed to a single beep. I asked the dealer to change it to a single beep and they did it. Not sure why dealers in New York are different.

KCWhitney likes this.
  16. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the fact that the R on the dash flashing doesn’t let you know that you are in reverse, then I don’t know what to tell you.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't believe it flashes, just a steady highlighting. I don't think it's sufficient. The best alert is something physical, that where the old-style mechanical shifter is superior.

All I know is for me, there's not enough cues. I don't think I'm alone, and Toyota was sweating enough to add the beep, so I'm thinking there were complaints, or when the car underwent review they were called on this.

18. 2015BlizzardPriusFour

2015BlizzardPriusFour Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Personally I want to disable the constant beeping to just the one beep for security reasons.

We have an advanced and an elderly driver (77) who has difficulty differentiating the different beeps like rear cross traffic, proximity, and seatbelt from the constant beeping of the reverse warning. If you can’t figure out you’re in reverse with the 11.6” screen, the beeping is not likely to remind you. Just my opinion.

Mark57 and bresna like this.
  19. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It flashes on my 2010, and a 2008 that I worked on for a family friend. I kind of assumed they all did.

20. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It does in my 2012 v as well.