1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reverse beep frustrations!

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Philthy166, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe mine does too, I'm oblivious?

2. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The main reason I changed the backup alert to one beep is so that it wouldn't obscure the proximity alerts. When I am backing up, being warned that I am about to bump into something, or that there is rear cross traffic, is more important to me than a continuous nag that I am in reverse.

Another thing to point out is that the reverse beeping is audible only inside the cabin; people outside cannot hear it. This is different from the reverse beeps on commercial vehicles.

ReDave, Tyfly, Mendel Leisk and 2 others like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, the warning is for the driver, not the people behind the car. post #11 makes sense, but do not know if it is true.

4. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Personally, I had the beeps turned off for one very good reason:

Because the Prime is so quiet in EV mode, I always make a habit of rolling down a window on both the passenger and driver's side so I can listen for any oncoming pedestrians and/or vehicles that are outside the visual range of the backup camera. I found that the incessant beeping while in reverse made it impossible to hear anyone or anything approaching.

The "quiet" in EV mode works both ways of course. There is always a concern about careless pedestrians who depend on hearing a vehicle instead of looking around (and they may not recognize the Prime's growler as something related to a vehicle in EV mode). For example, pedestrians pushing a cart while playing with their kid, someone talking to a friend while looking down at their phone, etc. Think of it as minimizing Murphy's law.

Salamander_King and walterm like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, watched it, the "R" in the shift diagram on the dash is blinking. I think I've never noticed the blink because it's a slow pulse, and my attention is all over the place when reversing: shoulder-checking, checking rear and side mirrors, an occasional glance at the reverse camera image in rear-view mirror (the latter funhouse wide angle). Rear visibility positively bites in the Prius.

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally, constant beef during Reverse do not bother me. In fact I kinda like it, so I know the car is in reverse as it is designed for. That said, it should be optional to change the setting depending on driver's preference and driving situation. Unless it is mandated by law, dealer should accommodate owner's request in this situation, IMO.

VFerdman likes this.
  7. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My '07 beeps in reverse and I think it's possible to change that. I considered changing the beep when I first got the car last year (my first hybrid). After living with the car for a little over a year I am glad to have the beep. Sometimes I fiddle around with the radio or make a phone call and when that happens in reverse, the backup camera screen goes away. So that's one scenario when I can forget I am in reverse. Another scenario is when I perform the motion to shift from reverse to drive, but for some reason the car remains in reverse. This does not happen often, but now and then it does. The beep really helps me know that the shift was not successful. As I said, does not happen often, but all it takes is one unfortunate event and someone can get hurt. So I keep the beep and it does not bother me since I do not spend that much time in reverse. A few seconds here and there.

But if the owner desires it to be off, then I don't see why the dealer refuses unless there is some sort of law about it.

schja01 and Salamander_King like this.
  8. bresna

bresna Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I had my Prime for a few weeks when I was backing out of a parking space in Portsmouth, NH and the back up beeper was going off. I heard the back up beeper but it was different than usual. All of a sudden, my dash screams "BRAKE" and a quick check over my shoulder shows a 20-something in my blind spot (yes - blindspots are there even with a back up camera!) chatting away on her cell about to back into me. Bam - she bumps me - hard. The only reason it wasn't bad was because I was able to get my car back into D and gunned it back into my parking spot. We get out and she was all apologetic. I was all over her because for one thing, NH is a hands free state.

Anyway, I got home and ordered an ODBII dongle, downloaded Prius Tweak onto my Samsung Galaxy and shut that damn beeper off before it causes me to get more seriously damaged.

FWIW - this is my 3rd Prius and I've had to jump through hoops to shut this darn beeper off in every one of them.

ReDave, benagi and Pdog808 like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One subscriber for disabling seat belt warnings: the movie industry:

Seat Belt Use on TV | PriusChat

10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked this yesterday, but in Prime, "R" does not blink when shifter is in reverse. Maybe, in Gen4 there has been a change? Then, I did not know it blinked in my previous Gen3 either. lol

11. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the info. Long beep gone.

12. 2015BlizzardPriusFour

2015BlizzardPriusFour Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I ended up going the Carista route. One beep and done. Also set it for all windows to roll down by holding unlock on the fob.

iPad ?

13. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In all my years driving my Gen 2 the "R" never blinked until today when I looked at it for the first time. Must be something to do with the Heisenberg principle :LOL:

jtv likes this.
  14. jnmontario

jnmontario Junior Member

Sadly only cheap if you're in the US. It's close to $30 if you live in Canada because Amazon takes advantage of border guards.

15. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    If you can get access to an Android device, get an ELM327 obd2 Bluetooth adapter for around $10 and install Prius Tweak for free.

16. AmazingPriusPrime

AmazingPriusPrime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am not able to find Prius Tweak in Play Store, has that been removed?

17. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    When you take your Prime in for the free 10k or 20k oil changes, just ask the dealer to turn off the beeping.

I actually gave a list of items to my Toyota salesperson and had them make the changes before I even picked up my car.

#1 - Turn off the reverse beeper.

#2 - Turn off the driver's side seat belt audio warning (the flashing icon you see on your dash should be all you need IMO).

#3 - Have the lights on the vehicle turn off as soon as you exit the car (it's annoying to have the lights on for 30 seconds after you exit - I always felt it kind of brought a lot of attention to the vehicle).

18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I just checked Google Pay Store, but URL no longer exist. It must have been removed from the play store for some reason. There are still some APK download sites available. You can sideload it if you know how.
    Prius Tweak APK Download - Free Tools APP for Android | APKPure.com

#38 Salamander_King, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  19. AmazingPriusPrime

AmazingPriusPrime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks, will side load for now.

Salamander_King likes this.