1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

reverse lights come on intermittently

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mrush205, Mar 16, 2023.

1. Mrush205

Mrush205 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    i have a 2011 Prius and the reverse lights have been coming on intermittently and I've been told its the shift control actuator. im wondering if anyone else has had this issue the car runs fine I installed a aftermarket reverse cam on it but all checks out with it when i disconnected it the same happened.
    any ideas will help.
    thanks

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think that would be about the last thing on my list of suspects. The Prius "shift control actuator" has exactly one job: it moves in and out the slug of metal that keeps the transmission from turning when you're in Park. It's not involved with the reverse lights.

The reverse lights get power from the integration relay. Both the control input and the power output to the lights are in connector 1G on the bottom of it. The control input from the power management control ECU comes on pin 13, and the power to the lights comes out on pin 3.

1G.png

The next question would be whether the integration relay is getting an intermittent input signal on pin 13 and just doing what it's told, or the input signal is steady and the integration relay itself is flaking out.

I might see if I could backprobe my meter into pin 13 and watch what it's doing while the backup lights do their intermittent thing.