1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reverse Polarity Jump Start - Gen3 Prius wont Start

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sergey K, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Sergey K

Sergey K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    THE PROBLEM: Our Prius 12V aux battery died after my wife left the light on inside the car and instead of buying a new battery, we decided to try jump starting it. My wife tried jump starting our Prius with the neighbors pickup truck and even though I wasn't physically there to witness it, I'm pretty sure that the polarity got swapped during the process. It wouldn't start afterwards, so we went out and bought a brand new 12V aux battery. The prius still will not start. No electric components seem to work (door locks, back brake lights, windows, radio don't work). The dash only shows the orange exclamation mark and the check engine light, nothing else. The power button blinks orange, never goes green.

TROUBLESHOOTING that I've tried:
    1. Checked the big 120A fuse right on the positive + terminal. Visibly looked good.
    2. Checked all the fuses by the drivers left knee. All tested good with resistance + visible checks.
    3. Checked all the fuses in the fusebox under the hood. All tested good EXCEPT the big relay integration fuse under the white plastic cover. It was definitely blown.
    4. Replaced the relay integration, still no luck, same exact symptoms.
    5. Tried force starting the car in emergency mode by holding the brake and power button down for 15+ secs. The engine starts, but the dash is still dead showing just the check engine light and orange exclamation mark. Can not shift gears or drive.
    6. Tried slow charging the NEW battery to get the voltage higher, still no luck. It's testing about 13V with everything off.

All the electric components still wont work. I've searched all over all the forums here and can't find any info that helps. Please advise! Stressed out and can't get to work. It's a 3rd Gen 2012 Toyota Prius III. Is there a way to test the relays in the fuse box? Is there anything else I can try? Is it my ECM? I'm really hoping it's not the inverter....

#1 Sergey K, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you get the same battery? Or?

If you're still on the 3 year warranty, or even slightly over, I'd be inclined to bring it in to dealership, let them troubleshoot, and don't mention the jumpstart.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you test the old battery before jump starting? Making sure it was even bad?

Your car has a recall on the inverter, which seems to have failed on some late model gen3. That may be more the problem than the 12v battery.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I talked to a Toyota technician several months ago about reverse polarity jumping. He said that even in conventional cars, reverse polarity jumps can do damage, but in the Prius it can be especially bad because there are more computers.

Good luck and keep us posted.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. If the car has some electrical power then the large fuse at the 12V battery positive terminal is OK.
    2. Do your tail lights work? If so the 125A DC/DC fuse is OK.
    3. If they do not work, find the 125A DC/DC fuse and determine its condition. It probably has blown, given the lack of power that you reported.
    4. Do your passenger compartment lights work? That is not dependent upon the DC/DC fuse. If they do not work, find and verify the condition of the 10A DOME fuse.
    5. Regarding the combination meter not working, check the condition of the 7.5A ECU-B fuse. That also depends upon the DOME fuse. Once you get the dashboard working again, see if the Prius becomes READY when you try to start the car.
    6. Yes, it is certainly possible that the inverter has failed. If you can get the car READY, measure the voltage across the 12V battery. It should be ~13.8V. If much lower, the inverter is dead or the DC/DC fuse is still blown (see #2 above). If the inverter has failed then try to find a used unit on eBay or a salvage yard.
    7. Don't worry about the relays right now. If you get to the point where you have restored more of the power to the car and only a few circuits are having a problem, then you can try testing the associated relay.
    8. Yes, you could have your car towed to the dealer, but the dealer tech is not totally clueless - if a problem like an inverter failure occurs and the DC/DC is blown, a botched jumpstart is the obvious cause. Further, the dealer tech has to consult Toyota tech support if an expensive part is going to be replaced under warranty. The tech support staff is not likely to overlook user error as the cause of the problem.

6. Sergey K

Sergey K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I did test the old battery and it was bad. I replaced it with a Optima Yellow Top battery that's mentioned in the forums here.

1. Yes, there is some power and that large fuse at the 12V +terminal on battery is good.
    2. No, tail lights do not work.
    3. I can not find the 125A DC/DC fuse. My fuse box diagram shows it in a location where there is only a big thick white cable plugged in. I can't see any fuses there.
    4. Yes, passenger compartment lights work, 10A dome fuse is good.
    5. Checked the 7.5A ECU-B fuse and it is good, but my dash only shows orange exclamation mark, check engine light, doors open light and security alarm light. Nothing else.
    6. I can't get the car in ready mode. Can't find the 125A DC/DC fuse.

Can anyone explain or post a pic of the 125A DC/DC fuse? I cannot seem to find it, there's only a big thick white cable plugged in where the DC/DC fuse is shown on the fuse box diagram. Is the fuse inside that white cable somewhere?

More info, the POWER button blinks orange when the car is off. Anytime I press it, it stays lit steady orange. If I press brake and power, it stays orange and the P on the shift lights up green. Still wont start.

kirkjam2 likes this.
  7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The obvious that you've already been told, and might of already been aware, is that a reverse polarity jump attempt with a Prius can be especially devastating in terms of potential damage.

I think the simplest, perhaps cheapest ends to getting a running Prius again might be to simply get it to a dealership, and since you are still under warranty you might want to "Eepkay Itequay Aboutway Ethay Umpjay Artstay." And see if The Dealership would repair under warranty.

Of course you can wrestle with the morality of anything less than full disclosure. And if the symptoms and damage are incredibly obvious as to being typical of a jump start gone wrong, it may be something you simply MUST reveal and sadly that would probably make you liable for the resulting repair costs.

But as we all have known since 1993, when the gates are down at Jurassic Park? Sooner or later you're probably going to have to face a big ugly Dinosaur.

Here's hoping yours isn't too bad.

#7 The Electric Me, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    Robert Holt and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i saw this posted in the 2 gen forum:

[​IMG]

Cosmo Tigato and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    That information will help the OP.
    Story will be to find the fuse.................................

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've been looking through the Repair Manual (half heartedly) and I couldn't find 125A DC/DC FUSE, or any similar iteration.

I did find Toyota refers to the under-the-hood fuse box as:

engine room junction block assembly

which is just nuts.

11. Sergey K

Sergey K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Even though that Gen 2 problem was for a CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM warning, I double checked the 5A battery sense fuse and confirmed it as good, both visually and via a resistance check inside the fuse box under the hood.

Searched high and low on Google, the repair manual, and physically in and around the fuse box for the 125A DC/DC fuse and can't seem to find where it's located. It sounds like this fuse is most likely causing all the issues.

If anyone has replaced this fuse, please help me find it: 125A DC/DC fuse.

12. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    It may be internally on the DC-DC converter tho

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it in the hybrid battery?

14. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Repair Manual shows the DC/DC fuse is the the thick White wire that plugs in. It is a Fusible Link. Disconnect the wire and read for continuity. If open circuit it will need to be replaced. It should read less than 1 ohm if good.

15. LostViet408

LostViet408 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know that in a conventional vehicle, if you reverse the battery terminal when jumping the vehicle with a cable, there will be a main fuse that gets short and you'll end up replacing that big main fuse and it'll work again. As for the Prius, I think there is a main fusible link that gets blown and need to be replace. Try googling the Prius main fusible link and see if you can find out where the locations at. I haven't looked into this situation further but it's a good start for you to check if you have any blown main fusible link. I think there's one by the trunk battery positive terminal, one near the driver kick panel and one in the engine bay fuse box.

Let us know :)

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately it is not obvious how to disconnect both sides of that thick white link. The OP might have to remove the fuse box to access one side from the bottom.

In the Prius, that is the MAIN fuse located in the positive battery terminal. That is not at fault since the OP reported some portions of the car still have electrical power.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    jdcollins5, could you post a page number.
    C'mon get with the program, that's the:

Engine Room Junction Box Assembly

:ROFLMAO:

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Considering the original manual likely was written in Japanese, that is not a terrible translation. It is located in the "engine room", it is a plastic block assembly, and there are many electrical junctions within.

19. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    From the 2010 Repair Manual:

upload_2015-6-19_20-12-10.png

No removing the fuse box for the Gen III.

Sergey K and Patrick Wong like this.
  20. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Page 3217

Mendel Leisk likes this.