1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

REVIEW: Hymotion Battery Plug-In Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Aug 12, 2008.

1. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just to clarify should read 5 kWh remaining in a 10 kWh battery. I know it seems nitpicky, but the difference is pretty important. Quite right other than that.

Rob

2. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well the 12v battery was dead and would not hold a charge. That battery is not cheap at $189 + $54 - $25 Coupon. Tax and all it was $223 out the door. Today, when I tried to start the car, I had the red triangle of death, but it was drivable to the dealer. Would have been 3 years in January, but I already had 47,000, so the warranty was expired.

I do have the car computer and sub-woofer that my have contributed to the early death of the battery.

---Kent

3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So you got a replacement from Toyota?

I got an Optima Yellow Top and installation kit for $175 shipped from 12 Volt (12v) Toyota Prius Auxilary Battery for 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 with free shipping

It was a little hard to install since you have to do a little more work than just dropping it in but from what I have read the Optima is a good battery especially if you have extra things running like computers and sound systems.

4. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, I went with the Toyota battery in a hurry.

---Kent
    [​IMG]

5. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I updated my first post with some new information. I think this will be the final update for the first post. Any further information I will just continue to add to this topic.

There should be a more condensed review available on cleanmpg.com here shortly.

6. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I have filled up for the third time ( actually my 2nd full tank ) and here are my results. This time I was able to get down to about %15 of the fuel remaining according to my CAN-View.

$1.939 Per gallon. ( Cheapest tank fill since buying the Prius )
    9.393 Gallons.
    $18.21 Gas cost.
    165.209 kWh used.
    $13.22 Elec. cost @$.08 per kWh
    $31.43 Total tank cost.
    1105.6 Miles.
    117.7MPG
    $0.028 Per mile.

This tank I had some longer trips that depleted the Hymotion pack and I did not have time or a place to recharge. Since I don't have any long trips planned the rest of the year I hope to stretch my tank over to next year. :D

I have a new issue that just appeared tonight. Maybe someone here can explain this picture. This picture was taken after my normal tip from my bowling league. I did not ride the brake and unfortunately it was not all down hill. I will be sending this over to the techs at Hymotion to see what they say.
    [​IMG]

7. PeakOilGarage

PeakOilGarage Nothing less than 99.9

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Wow, that picture is kind of funky. If you had that much regen happening your regular NiMH battery would have been at 8/8 bars. Let me know what Hymotion says.

I really like how you are tracking your electricity costs and including that in your numbers.

Have you noticed when the NiMH Toyota battery is full from regen (8/8) it beeps at you that you cannot enter EV mode? This happens to me a lot in the morning because I descend a 1/2 mile hill every day. By the bottom of the hill I would be forced out of EV mode every time if I have the Hymotion engaged.

So to get around it I start with Hymotion off and drain my NiMH battery to 5/8 on a flat area before I start descending. Then it is typically at 7/8 by the bottom of the hill. I continue driving until the regular NiMH battery is down to 5/8, then I flip on the Hymotion battery at a stop light. I typically drive 2 miles in stock EV mode before I even turn on the Hymotion battery in the morning.

8. Aces

Aces Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    TheForce, I wonder how low gas prices would have to get until there's a neutral cost benefit? I'm not even thinking about the conversion cost. But rather day to day. Not using gasoline is a big enough incentive anyway. But I noticed that using your last tank as an example, and treating money spent on electricity as if you were buying gas at $1.939/gallon, it would be the equivalent to getting 68.2 mpg. My math was as follows:
    Total Electricty+Fuel "Gallons" = 9.393 Gallons * ($31.43/$18.21) = 16.212
    MPG = 1105.6 miles / 16.212 "Gallons" = 68.2 mpg

What we don't know is what you'd likely be getting if you drove the same places, in the same conditions, without the conversion. I'd read somewhere that electricity is about the same as buying gas at $1.50/gallon. But that's just an approximation. And different conversions will use the electricity in ways that could make this number different.

9. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did some math a while back on when it would be cheaper to just use gas and get 60mpg or using the battery and getting 100+mpg. Some how I ended up calculating that gas would have to drop below $0.90 a gallon before it would be cheaper to run pure gas if you compared it to my 60mpg average. If you were to compare it to a 25mpg car gas would have to drop below $0.60 per gallon I think. But when you getting that cheap saving pennies really doesn't matter. At least not to me. I would rather give more of my money to an American electricity company than give it to the greedy oil companies.

10. PeakOilGarage

PeakOilGarage Nothing less than 99.9

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Too bad Hymotion came from those evil Canadians. :mad:

It reminds me of the Southpark song. "Blame Canada"

11. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It may have originated in Canada but I asked Erin about it and she said they are made right here in the USA. And besides I like Canada. I would move there but I hate cold weather.

12. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey watch it! :canada:

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    as far as cost goes, i would also rather pay double for electricity than pay half as much to foreign countries for the oil to make the gas i use. my EV runs around 4½ miles per KWH, so with my transportation costing me say 2 cents per mile, to get the same cost for a Pri if using say 55 mpg... it would be 55 miles*.02 or $1.10 a gallon. so even with the greatly reduced gas prices, the EV is still cheaper...

lately, i have been doing my best to take advantage of free charging that is offered around town but not to save money, only to get more exposure. i want people to see my bright lime green extension cord plugged into my car to let them know that EV's can be at the very least, a significant part of people's transportation needs.

now that also reduces my cost, but only to an insignificant amount... but the cost after the purchase of the EV is all really insignificant other than battery replacement. i have nearly 6000 miles on my Zenn and only recently passed the $100 mark in total electricity costs.

14. lbligh

lbligh Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    It depends on where the electricity comes from. We all have our different sensibilities but I think we agree that "clean coal" is an oxymoron. In our area, Northern Virginia, we have the option of wind power. I know others here have wind power also. It costs more but it's good to support a fledgling industry.

15. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I found the issue with the regen. I added some gauges to my ScanGauge the other day and that was the only change I made to the car. I noticed that the non passive AMP gauge did not work correctly. While leaving it up on the screen the MFD would show max regen for each 5 minutes. When I took off the AMP gauge the MFD would display normal regen.

I thought before I had the battery installed this AMP gauge worked correctly. I have not heard anyone else have an issue with the AMP gauge Pre or Post Hymotion battery installation. I also tried the passive AMP gauge but it also does not work correctly but does not cause the regen error.

I might need some help from people with and without the Hymotion battery and that has the ScanGauge to see if this AMP gauge effects a normal Prius and if anyone with the Hymotion battery gets the regen error.

16. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    so you think the scangauge is not only reading but also writing stuff on the canbus...
    that wil be the only thing that can account for the scangauge causing this...

so now its not dirty oil from iraq but dirty battery´s from canada:D:D:D

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i agree it does depend on how the electricity is generated... but my point is that money spent on oil is money we mostly likely will only see when foreign interests are buying up our country.

foreign investment is great, dont get me wrong, but the source also has to be considered...

my point is that local power usually supports the US economy much more directly. we can definitely get into a debate about the piss poor efforts to get a national power grid, clean energy, etc. going, but this is not the forum for that.

i still feel that a big reason for our economic crisis is that hundreds of billions of dollars spent to buy foreign oil. i liken the US to GM and its health care costs...no matter how big the company (country) or how successful, you simply cannot continue to pay out that kind of money and not be hurt by it....

on a per capita basis, we pay out 3 times more money for oil than any other country except Japan... the problem is, our economy is so big, we are like an over-sized anchor, we sink, we take nearly everyone with us.

i never bought my Zenn thinking i would save money...even after the Ambassador Program discount, it still cost me $16,000 after taxes... toss $500 in battery charge and monitoring equip in the mix and the fact that after nearly 6,000 miles, i have saved around a grand, it will take me forever to get my money back... if ever... granted, no real maintenance, but i do use lead acid batteries which means $1500-2000 every few years to replace the pack

so, to me its not cost, its where the money goes. that is why i bought a Pri, that is why i bought the Zenn, that is also why i will never buy another conventional car again...no matter what.

18. boxer93

boxer93 Psyched for PHEV

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Jay, If you can send me what to configure on the SGII I'll give it a try.
    Chris

19. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used the Battery Current coded from this document here. CleanMPG Forums

Here is the codes so in case you dont want to downlod the file.

GAUGE
    Battery Current

TXD
    07E321CE

RXF
    056186CE0000

RXD

MTH
    0001000AF333

NAME
    BTA

20. Aces

Aces Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I completely agree about shifting our dollars to electricity. Here in Seattle, most of the electricity comes from hydro-electric. so it's renewable, non-polluting, and keeps our dollars here. :D