1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

REVIEW: Hymotion Battery Plug-In Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Aug 12, 2008.

1. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I totally agree. I'll used domestic coal, before imported oil. I wish our electricity was from a renewal source. Unfortunately, solar is so expensive or I would try to include that in my plans.

2. PeakOilGarage

PeakOilGarage Nothing less than 99.9

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I will try to reproduce the error on my Hymotion and ScanGauge II.
    Send me the exact instructions of what I need to do. I am new to SGII and only use the basic settings.

3. boxer93

boxer93 Psyched for PHEV

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Jay,
    The display looks like yours. I noticed the BTA value negative everytime I glanced over at it. It was positive at stop while I took the pics.
    Regardless of the display 34f is optimistic for the temperature. I drove the car normally.
    Let me know if there is more I can do.
    I wonder if shutting the L5 off, that the BTA would behave like a normal Prius.
    Peakoil, using the SGII manual, near the back, set one of your xgauges to the values that Jay specified in the previous post. use the + and - buttons to change a position then -> to move to the next one. Save the value. Then going into the gauge menu cycle through one of the buttons to display BTA.
    Chris

Attached Files:

4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for testing Chris. When I drove home that night I did have my pack turned off for a while and still got the regen cars. I swear the AMP gauge worked before I had the Hymotion battery installed. Or at least I thought it worked. I never did use it much since I had the AMPs displayed on my CAN-View.

Now if I can just get confirmation on if the AMP gauge works or not on a regular Prius we will be all set. I will see if I can contact a few people to see if they can test it.

Whats really strange is if my CAN-View is getting the AMP data from the same location as the ScanGauge locations then why is the CV working and not the SG?

Also I got the flashing LED today. 14 flashes if you count the long flash as one. Jim the Hymotion tech said I should check for low voltage on the 12v battery. If the voltage goes below 11 -10.5 volts then the LED will flash. Strange thing is that I just put in a brand new Optima battery. I guess I will have to put the voltage on my ScanGauge screen to monitor it now before I start the car.

All I did was unplug the car, get in, turned car on ACC mode for about 30 seconds to let my PC boot so I did not have to enter ready mode right away, Then I turn the car on in Ready mode. I had the Hymotion pack turned off during this process.

5. boxer93

boxer93 Psyched for PHEV

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Jay,
    I set the SGII VLT today and I have 13.9 at start up and 13.8 while driving. I'd be curious what your new battery shows. Also in relation to the LED Flashes I have not seen them. I rarely use ACC mode and have a base model with No SKS(hopefully this is the acronym for the keyless system). I am curious if the older batteries with SKS or other ACC draw has the voltage low enough to trigger the LED flashes.
    Chris

6. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    he guys!

but is the MFD full regen display a problem that only happens when you connect the scang?

7. PeakOilGarage

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The LED flashing would make sense if the voltage goes low.
    We can definitely monitor for this with SGII.

8. glaf8421

glaf8421 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Installed the L5 a couple of months ago in Maryland. I wish all cars had this technology. 37 miles highway @ over 120 mph, 22.5 city all electric (except when the engine warms up.

9. JoesMorgue

JoesMorgue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had a idea pop into my head a month or so ago....

Everybody driving has been to the point where their Prius has more power going to (or in) the battery then the car wants, its normal.

There has got to be a way where that extra power can be pushed into the Plug-In battery. Worse case: Converting it back to 110 at a HIGH loss, then tricking the battery into thinking its still plugged into the grid. Something...

Even if there is a high loss for whatever reason(s), your collecting lost power, which is very much inline to what the Prius does to begin with.

10. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had the same idea, but Hymotion locks out the ability to charge when the car is started even if the Hymotion is in the off position. I would love to find a bypass this lockout.
    [​IMG]

11. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They sent you a Tesla by mistake?

:)

12. glaf8421

glaf8421 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow, I really meant I get 37 miles of assisted driving (at over 129 mpg) and about 25 miles in town on pure EV mode. (unlimilted mpg)

Glaf8421

13. PeakOilGarage

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have noticed that with temps below 32, snow/slush/ice on the ground, my MPG is dropping dramatically. Down to the 85-90 mpg range.

You have to warm up the car to deal with this weather. Once the car is warmed up, it it much higher MPG and drives normal, but those first few minutes are bad for the MPG average.

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ahh!!. sounds like we need

1) bigger electric heaters
    2) a way to incorporate them and keep in EV mode

obtw... not crying too much to hear about your "loss of mileage"...

as you have probably seen on the national news, we are going thru a very "midwestern-like" winter... my last tank sucked (one the all time worst) because it caught 3 days of the snowstorm which has essentially lasted two weeks... but right now, i am at 39 mpg...keep in mind, my normal winter average is 48-50 mpg...man SNOW SUCKS!!

15. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does the ScanGauge SOC X Gauge show the A123 battery level or the OEM battery level?

16. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It does not show the actual SOC when the Hymotion battery is in use. Whe the Hymotion battery is in use it will show the spoofed SOC.

17. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Then you can use the SG to watch the Hymotion battery go down from 100% to 0%?

18. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No because the spoofed SOC will always be between %70 and %80.

19. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  20. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So what kind of mileage can you get on a 11 mile commute in 5F weather? A pitiful 90MPG! :mad:

It was so cold my low tire pressure light came on! I could not force EV mode at all. The battery would only accept about 40 amps of regen. As soon at I got the engine temp to 100F I turned on my coolant temp hack and was able to get into EV but it was very hard to stay in EV. I hate cold weather. :mad: