1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

REVIEW: Hymotion Battery Plug-In Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Aug 12, 2008.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well my friend and I took my car to go bowling today. The trip is about 30 to and 30 miles from the bowling center. Last year on the trip to and from the bowling center I averaged about 55MPG with us and six 16lbs balls. This time with a full pack I averaged about 75MPG to and from the bowling center. I set cruise control to 55MPH and had the AC set on 72 and low speed. Its kind of disappointing because it dropped my CAN-View average to about 137MPG and I'm down another pip but I guess 75MPG is better than no improvement at all. I really need to see if the bowling center will let me charge up while I'm there. If I can do that I might be able to pull 100+MPG the whole trip.

With the stock car it will let you draw a little more amps in EV mode when you have a full charge but it still may kick out of EV mode. You can press the pedal a little harder but not much harder. If you have the EV mode switch you can easily draw 100 amps all day long until you run out of juice.

2. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I added another SOC graph to my first post of a 60 mile round trip. Look for it in the observations area.

3. zcat3

zcat3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Thanks for the reply. I have the OE EV switch, but was waiting to install it until I got the Hymotion pack in place. I think I am an October install.

As for your 60 mile freeway numbers, that is much more consistent with what the Google.org site is showing. It really comes down to distance and speed of commute. My commute to work is 27 miles each way with a few good hills (several hundred feet). I average about 49 MPG, but am slowly climbing. I do drive 65 - 70 MPH on the freeway. Per the Hymotion website, they estimate I would get something like 95 MPG if I can't plug in at work, and 110 if I could. This seems optimistic.

4. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I added two new charging graphs for watts and amps to my first post.

5. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what I've been wanting to see. I let S1 complete and I was able to EV it all the way home. I wish I could do this all the time. I had to take this picture quick because every 20 seconds or so the MPG would drop about 30MPGs because of the GPH bug. Because of the bug I know this number is a lot higher. How high I don't know. I wish SG would fix this bug. I would gladly send in my SG to have it reprogrammed. Heck I would even buy a new one and give this one to my parents since they do not have a hybrid and the bug should not be a problem for them.

[​IMG]

6. sparkyAZ

sparkyAZ übergeek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't think I'd be in any hurry to try this. If you run out of gas, then run your Hymotion and OEM pack down, you may be getting towed to the dealer so they can hook up their special Prius Charger for People Who Ignore the Flashing Low Fuel Warning Pip and Don't Refill IMMEDIATELY, all while the dealership owner makes another yacht payment and the techs have a good laugh at your expense. But hey, if you like living life on the edge, go for it! Maybe the Hymotion charger would get you off the hook and save the day. Who knows?

You could always do like George at Hybrid Fest - look for the friendly neighborhood light pole that just happens to have an outlet at the base. You're in country where block heaters are not especially uncommon so there should be some public electric outlets scattered about if you poke around for them.

Attached Files:

7. kaif

kaif New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Anyone know about how much electricity it takes to charge over night? What's it comparable to? a TV? a 100w light? ??
    I need to know for an argument I am having with someone saying the power grid cant handle plug-ins
    Sorry for the de-rail.

8. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It draws about 1000 watts for about 5 hours from a depleted pack without getting technical.

9. max9952001

max9952001 Plugging In

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    5 KwH - it's about 43 cents on my power bill in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

some places struggle to meet peak demand from extreme weather conditions so coupled with several thousand plug ins charging at once, it can be an issue, but so would anyone's home A/C since the A/C would be drawing more current.

to put it in perspective, it all really depends how much you drive, but even if running 30 miles a day on EV, you are still spending in the range of 12-20 DOLLARS A MONTH for electricity

so take that figure and compare it to your current electric bill and tell us, how much of an impact would it be?

i have an EV, driven it 4500 miles over nearly 9 months and it will still be a few more weeks before i hit $100 in total electricity costs for the LT of my EV. sooo, how much is that really?

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Philips 42" Plasma consumes 400W. Watching 12.5 hours would equal to a full recharge of this PHEV pack.

12. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had another really good trip home tonight. 1186MPG according to my SG. Sorry I just had to make it big and bold. :p Same thing as last time. Go through S1 and EV it home at about 32mph. I think I might have to request to work straight evenings from now on. :) But I guess then I would never get anything done because I would sleep in until about 1:00pm, then leave for work at 2:20pm, and then do the whole thing over again. Evenings are great because I get paid more and get more MPGs but I just cant get anything done because I'm to lazy to get up.

13. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well done, Force. You are having so much fun with your conversion that you have already had your moneys worth.

14. boxer93

boxer93 Psyched for PHEV

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Jay,
    I just got my scangauge and I'm going through setup. Can you tell me what these 'displays' are. I assume they are xgauge. I had my son read the stock SGII during a short trip and 3500MPG was very consistent in EV mode. Also it almost appeared that the MPG read higher at a higher speed. i.e. at 30MPH it was ~2700MPG while 40MPH was ~3700 MPG. May just be me :)
    Thanks
    Chris.

15. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes these are the xgauges. Go find Dan's scan gauge for dummies over on cleanmpg to see his list of stuff you can program. The instruction manual that came with the SG tells you how to get your trip MPG as a gauge.

You will see higher MPG with higher speed in EV mode because of the GPH bug.

16. boxer93

boxer93 Psyched for PHEV

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks. The trip MPG I figured out I wasn't sure what your abbreviations were. The EV one looked custom. I haven't been on cleanmpg. I'll have to go spend some time over there.
    Thanks
    Chris

17. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So Force, in a nutshell did you go from ~50-60 mpg before, to over 100 mpg on average after the conversion?

18. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. I'm currently sitting on a 150MPG average according to my CAN-view.

19. damuffin

damuffin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In response to running your prius out of fuel, I wouldn't do it. All efi fuel pumps needs fuel to lubricate and cool. so if it was dry and ever tried to pump, damage or failure would occur.:eek:

20. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hope to see the day that you go back to your gas stations and do you first fill-up and see some real live mpg''s

but looking ar you current estimate mpg thats going yo take a long wait haha:D