1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

REVIEW: Hymotion Battery Plug-In Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Aug 12, 2008.

1. sparkyAZ

sparkyAZ übergeek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Have you used the ScanGauge to check what the traction battery bus voltage is just before starting out in the morning when the Hymotion pack is fully charged, and along the way as the SOC drops?

2. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    TheForce,

Would you say the P&G technique is more or less efficient while operating in EV mode on a Grid charge, than it is when you revert to normal hybrid mode, where we know it's a highly efficient technique?
    Would a different technique be more efficient while on the Grid charge?

3. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    IMHO P&G is not advised in all electric mode. Avoiding brisk acceleration (or pulsing) would be advantageous. Otherwise, the usual avoidance of deceleration would be key.

4. ryansprius

ryansprius Mountain Mileage Maniac

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey TheForce,
    Thanks for posting your experience with the Hymotion mod...very encouraging/motivating!
    Do you know anything about the solar mod by SEV (Solar Electric Vehicles) and if it could benefit/compliment the hymotion upgrade? Seems like they'd go great together. Any info would be great.

Thanks!

5. max9952001

max9952001 Plugging In

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was wondering the same thing. For $2,000 it would be a great way to extend all electric or super hybrid mode...

6. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would agree, at something like $2k it might be worth while. They claim 215W output. In most places you'll do well to get ~5 "peak sun" hours per day, which would put you at ~1kWh charging per day. To get a better number you can use the site below, pick your location, put in 1kW, set the derate factor to 1.0 and set the tilt angle to flat (0). Take the annual output, divide by 365 to get the average daily output and multiply by 0.215 to size for the system. For Phoenix, AZ that gives me a number of 830Wh per day. Realistically you will lose a little more for charging efficiency but we'll ignore that for now. The Prius seems generally agreed to use between 200-250Wh per mile depending on speed, so the 830Wh would give you an extra 3-4 miles of EV range per day. To make use of this you would really need to have a situation where you deplete your supplemental battery enough on your morning drive that you can store that much power to use on the way home. Assuming you got 10 years of use out of it, at 4 miles per day you'd get 14600 miles out of it. For $2k that would be about 13c per mile, more expensive than gassing a Prius currently, but not too bad.
    PVWATTS v. 1

The problem is that as far as I know SEV is not in production, they are asking $5k, and they only sell it in combination with their own battery pack which is not grid chargeable. Last I knew they had not responded to anyone's requests about possibly purchasing the panel by itself.

I think most folks have concluded that you would be much better off putting solar panels on your house to offset your home charging. That works out to more like 2c per mile from what I have seen. As an example:

20 miles per day EV range = 7300 miles per year
    7300 miles * 0.3 AC kWh/mile = 2190 kWh/yr
    2190 kWh/yr / 1600 AC kWh/yr / DC Rated Watt = 1.37 DC kW Solar Required
    Upfront Cost =~ $7/DC Watt * 1370 DC Watt = $9581
    Rebates and incentives = -$7106
    Net Solar Cost = $2475
    Warrantied System Lifetime = 20-25 years
    Net Cost per mile = 1.3c - 1.7c per mile

Assuming gas costs an average of $4.00 per gallon for the next 20 years, the annualized ROI for your upfront solar investment would be 15.65%. If you assume gas starts at $3.50, and goes up 2% per year for the next 25 years your annualized ROI goes to over 21%. My guess is even the second case is conservative.

Rob

7. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Full tank update! Well again its not really a full tank but it would be if I did not have this extra 200lbs of dead weight in the back dragging be down. Wait. What?? :confused:

I'm now at 580 miles into this tank and everything is going fine. I'm still getting over 200MPG on my way to work and back according to the SG and I'm still getting used to maximizing the MPG on my normal commute.

Here are the stats so far.
    580miles
    167MPG according to my CAN-View
    138MPG according to the SG :mad:
    %65 Gas left according to CAN-View
    94.6599 kWh used
    ~163 Average Wh per mile

So lets take a look at what we got here so far.

600 miles / 167MPG = 3.47 gallons of gas used
    $3.799 X 3.47 gallons = $13.18
    94.6599kWh X $.08 kWh = $7.57
    $13.18 + $7.57 = $20.75
    $20.75 / 600 miles = 3.6 cents per mile

My average cents per mile from last 10 fill ups = 6.9 cents per mile.
    6.9 - 3.6 = 3.3 cents per mile savings.

So if we go by these stats I should expect to get at least 1600 miles if I ran my tank dry. I'm going to shoot for 1500 and fill up if I can. This may or may not happen because I will have to fill up on October 12th because I will be heading to Cincinnati to show off the car.

I have noticed that Hymotion messes with CAN header 0529 which is used for EV button status. I would like to know why they would need to modify this packet of information? Here is a sample of the packets.

The third packet is the normal packet and EV mode is ON. All others are modified.
    Code:
    05 29 06 27 00 00 87 00 00 2B 87
    [B]05 29 07 28 00 00 84 40 00 00 F2[/B]
    05 29 00 00 00 00 67 CE 02 44 08

I'm also working on a little observation about the effects of regen when the pack is turned on. I'm wondering if the stock pack will still capture energy even though the Hymotion battery is spoofing an %80 SOC. I don't have any hard data on this yet but I should have something next week. There is a large hill near by that I think I can use to run my test on.

Thats it for now. Next major update will be at mile 1000. :D

I actually use my CAN-View to view the voltage but its all the same I think. It starts out in the 220V area then jumps around the 230V-258V range for a while then settles down to about 230V. I have seen it as low as the 195V region but only for a second or two and only two or three times. I think I will try to make a graph of that for my final write ups.

I don't really know about that. I guess P&G on electric could be just as good as using gas or using gas for the pulse then go into a glide drawing an additional 10 amps to continue the glide might work. I really dont have an area long and flat enough to do that kind of testing.

Yes I seen that a while back. I do know one thing about solar panels and that is they are best used when always pointing at the sun at the optimum angle. They are basically useless on a car unless you have one of those very thin, very lightweight, very large surface area car. I would use that $2000 on solar panes for the roof of my house as they would collect more energy there.

8. ryansprius

ryansprius Mountain Mileage Maniac

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Great info, thanks!

I called them and they emailed me this PDF file which was very helpful. They said that the panels are in production and there is a waiting list (2-4 months) at this point so they're taking deposits ($500).

$3500 solar panel alone
    $4500 with battery
    $7200 with plug in option

Attached Files:

9. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i dont get this

"(’04 model) 240 VDC, (‘05

-’08 models)
    288VDC, 3.8kWh Battery Storage for the
    plug-in PV system"

i think it needs to be.

"(’03 model) 288 VDC, (‘04

-’08 models)
    240VDC, 3.8kWh Battery Storage for the
    plug-in PV system"

10. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ran my regen test today and here is what I found.

I started with a SOC of %60 at the top of a hill then coasted down putting about 60amps into to pack while slowing down to a stop.

First run was with the stock battery. The SOC after the run was %72.

Second run was with the Hymotion pack enabled. The SOC after the run was also %72.

So it looks like the stock battery ECU does not care what the spoofed SOC says. If it says it can take the regen it will.

Also :p :D

[​IMG]

ydpplqbd likes this.
  11. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Cool test, and very cool pic! I think there is one of two things going on here. They are either moving the spoofed SOC around based on conditions (as I believe cal-cars does), or more likely they are decoupling the spoofed SOC and CDL/CCL. As long as the charge/discharge limits are high, I believe the HV controller will keep putting in charge or taking charge out. I think its up to the Battery ECU to decide when to lower the limits (if they're not being spoofed too) and it wouldn't care about the spoofed SOC, only the real SOC of the oem pack.

Rob

12. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

NICE:)

13. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The Force, could you describe how much fan noise you hear when your pack recharges? As you know, I'm getting partial recharges. Happened again last night, after a hot day. So I'm leaning toward heat as the problem again.

When mine charges, there is a just the faintest whisper of fan noise and it's clear that the batteries are not being cooled. It's quieter than the quietest PC I own. This is after opening up the hatch and pulling up the floor. Ad as far as I can tell, there is no air movement out of the exhaust duct. The pack is drawing air in the quarter-sized hole below the battery casing (you pointed this out as an air intake in your original post). But that can't be the only air intake for cooling the batteries -- the exhaust duct must be 10 square inches in cross section, that hole looks like it might be a square inch total.

When I talked to Hymotion, I got conflicting answers on whether or not the batteries are air cooled during charging. My pack definitely does not do that -- at least not to any appreciable degree. I was just wondering whether you hear something that sounds like a fairly substantial exhaust fan running, and whether you can feel any air coming out of the exhaust duct as you charge.

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    TheForce,

Thanks for the data on regen. I still think the topic is unclear, but bit by bit ..

Can you calculate the potential energy on your downhill cost ? I'm keen to get a semi-quant feel for how much regen is possible.

15. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The noise is very low when charging. I would say its as low as the fan for the stock battery but I have never heard the stock fan run.

I'm guessing the air intake is on the bottom of the unit as there are only a few small holes around the unit. I feel not draft coming from the exhaust when it is charging but it might be such a low volume of air that's being pushed you just cat fell it.

I have not had another partial charge yet but it also has not been very hot out.

16. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well since the stock pack likes to sit at %60 you can only add %20 more to it to bring it up to %80. I don't know how much energy that actually is.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I wasn't clear. I meant wheel to battery regen efficiency

18. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks, I was afraid of that. That probably means mine is charging as designed. It's just not going to do a full charge in one pass with a hot battery. And if I try, it'll hit some temperature-determined safety limit. That's not a good situation. I'll post here if I hear anything more from Hymotion.

19. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It may not be good that your system is hitting some safety limit. However I think it is a really good thing that the system is shutting down WHEN it does hit that safety limit;)
    Keep at em, let us know how it goes.

P.S. One other thought, if you think it may be a combination of your house wiring and heat, can you plug it in closer to your electrical panel?

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    chogan2, are you able to monitor your hymotion's battery SOC as you charge ?