1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Review: Revier JDM projector fog lamp with CCFL ring

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by 32kcolors, Dec 11, 2012.

1. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The locking tabs on the bases on H8 and H9 bulbs are close enough to the H11 that they can be modified to fit the H11 housing mount.

Here's a pic of some H8 bulbs I modified to make them fit the H11 housing in my foglights:

[​IMG]

Edit: LOL, don't know why this posts as an upside down image. Hope you can read upside down text. :)

32kcolors likes this.
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    32kcolors, any updates? I'm still waiting for the pics of the cutoffs. :)

I picked up a cheap Yaris halo foglight kit and the outer glass didn't have DOT or SAE on it, and the cutoffs were really crappy. Also, the halos were illuminated by only two LEDs at the bottom of the ring and not bright at all. I'm going to return them.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm still waiting for the upgraded bulbs that I've ordered to arrive. The supplied 21-SMD LED bulbs are too weak to provide any appreciable light output for the comparison. They're fine if all you care about is cosmetic (as they match the CCFLs perfectly), but you should really upgrade to halogens or HIDs for fog light functionality. Nevertheless, I'm tired of waiting so I'm going to go ahead and install the other side soon. It's just one screw to swap out the fog lamp.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmm, it's a shame that the LEDs are all they sent you for evaluation. I didn't understand your previous post about the 21 SMD LED lights fitting the housing of both the stock and Revier foglights.

I ordered a couple of H3 bulbs to compare as well. I have a pair of 35w H3 bulbs in clear/white, and a pair of yellow Nokya 55w H3 that should come in today or so.

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The supplied LED bulbs are H11 so they fit both the stock and Revier foglights. The aftermarket PIAAs I currently have in the stock fogs are a tad too long to fit the Revier projector (doesn't clear the internal metal reflector/cutoff by 1 mm). Contrary to popular belief, not all H11 bulbs are equivalent in length. I can in theory make them fit by lifting the metal tabs upward by 1 mm but I hesitate the modify the PIAAs. The distance from base to internal cutoff is 1.75 inches. Most H11 bulbs are around that length, but some longer ones won't fit unless you modify the metal tabs or tear out the internal metal piece.

6. MaxT

MaxT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm in if Panson sets up a group buy. These look great with the new corner lights.

Max

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've installed the other side and taken some photos of the DRLs in the daylight. The bulbs I ordered are supposed to arrive in a couple of days, but I'll be out of town by then until after the new year so that'll have to wait.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That looks great! :)

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Still no pics with H11 bulbs installed and the cutoff patterns? :)

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, I second that! I been holding off doing other mods cause I would like a set of these. But seat warmers are looking really nice this time of year...

11. Jay J

Jay J Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How much are these?

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unfortunately, I returned from my trip only to find the HID bulbs I ordered from xenondepot won't clear the internal cutoff/metal reflector by 1 mm (even though I had the xenondepot rep measure them before purchasing the kit to ensure that they'd fit). I don't want to modify the metal tabs and run the risk of the bulbs scorching the metal cutoffs from touching them or being too close given how hot HIDs run. The factory fogs don't have the metal cutoff so it's simply a limitation of the projectors. The best I can do right now is use the supplied Revier bulbs to test the cutoff patterns but the light output is going to suck.

If anyone knows of a short size H11 bulb, let me know. I'd be interested in getting some in amber/hyper yellow to see how they look with the white CCFL rings.

I'll say, however, that I've grown to prefer to look of just the CCFL rings on when driving at nights with the headlights on. I've always had my factory fogs on with the headlights on, but the LED headlights do such a good job of lighting up the road that I could hardly tell if my factory fogs are on or off, probably due to how low we sit in the car and difficulty in seeing the front of the car. In contrast, I can detect a noticeable difference whenever I have the fogs on in my RX350 as the seating position is higher. Maybe switching to amber bulbs would make a more noticeable difference, but the biggest benefit of the Revier lamp combo is the DRL functionality as well as providing much nicer styling than the bit plain factory fogs.

They retail for the same as the Revier corner lamps so if the last group buy is any indication, they'd be $130-150 shipped depending on the number of participants.

13. Jay J

Jay J Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not bad at all for 130-150 shipped

14. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looking really good 32K!

15. Johnny C

Johnny C Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Such a sweet looking ride.(y)

16. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Update: TWP has decided not to import any more of Revier's items given the instability of Revier's quality (as some of you saw). I know this will come as a disappointment for some of you waiting for the group buy to happen. However, you may be able to import them from Japan yourself like bino/w202mae given they're not that expensive to begin with, assuming you're comfortable with their limitation as fog lamps due to the bulbs they can take and Revier's quality control.

Personally, I plan to continue running them and have ordered a set of amber yellow bulbs for the fogs, which will be slow to arrive from China.

17. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Please update with pics when they arrive. :)

I received some 9005 bulbs from Hong Kong, took about 2 weeks. However, they took a long circuitous route (Hong Kong -> San Francisco -> Honolulu) instead of coming directly to Honolulu.

18. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wonder if he would give us the contact information?

19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You can ask, but it's probably no different from http://revier.co.jp/products/prius/index.html However, the best person to ask is bino or w202mae as they have experience with getting JDM stuff from Japan, using a courier or a third party through Yahoo Japan auction, etc. bino got the Revier taillights not too long ago.

spiderman likes this.
  20. Mrjfunk

Mrjfunk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I really dig this setup for making the corner and fog lights into DRL's! Just bought me a 2010 Prius IV and would like to change out those ugly plastic fog covers. I'm a newbie to custom light wiring but realize you probably had to purchase a DRL controller.

1. If so, which DRL controller do you recommend?
    2. Did you have to wire both corner and fog lights in series? I've seen a YouTube video on how to wire the fog lights but uncertain of this setup.
    3. Does the unlit led lights on the corner blink when you set your turn signal like originally intended?

Any information you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!